Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 3:47 pm

My macbook's touch/key pad thingy (the clicker) is sticking and it makes a funny noise and doesn't "click" all the way lately. How do I fix it without taking it apart? It's done this before and it went back to normal over time.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 4:00 pm

No, whatever you do don't take it apart! If the Macbook is still in warranty it will be invalidated. Sounds like it might have some dust/damp in it somewhere - have you ever spilt anything on it? I never had that problem with mine, but for any problems I always call Apple technical support toll-free, or look on the many online Apple forums that seem to discuss pretty much everything. Even if the device is out of warranty they'll often help you fix it for free, just ask them nicely!

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2015, 4:04 pm

The same happened to my girlfriends. She has to use a usb mouse now because it's past it's warranty. Those are the signs of a failing "clicker" I'm afraid.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 5:56 pm

If you have a local Apple store, they will fix it for a small fee or fully replace the trackpad.

It could be dust, food bits, or something else entirely.
Or you could have a bust part...

Trackpads do wear out over time.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 3:27 pm

Well, I do use my MacBook quite a bit.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:14 am

I had that happen. A friend told me that sometimes MacBook batteries swell and interfere with the clicker buttons. It sounded like an urban myth. But I researched it, discovering that it is a real thing. I looked at the battery in my MacBook and it was indeed misshapen. I replaced it and the problem was solved. Of course I have no idea if this might be applicable in your situation. Good luck.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 10:06 am

Well mine isn't under warranty anymore so I can't. But the problem seems alleviated for now although it will probably return as it has in the past. I've been trying to use the iPad more so I won't wear out my Mac too much if I
don't need to.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 12:25 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
Well mine isn't under warranty anymore so I can't. But the problem seems alleviated for now although it will probably return as it has in the past. I've been trying to use the iPad more so I won't wear out my Mac too much if I
don't need to.

What year/model is your Macbook?

Many of the models of Macbook Pro from 2010 and up are under an extended warranty for graphic card failures.
Many of the Macbook models are also under extended warranty programs, which will result in free repairs.

Apple replaced all the parts when I had the graphic card(it was soldered to the motherboard) replaced in my late 2011 Macbook Pro (which is now under extended warranty and free repair program until sometime next year).

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 1:05 pm

I have a mid 2012. It is my second one and the first one had a. Graphics card failure. I think the mouse just gets stuck though from me using it too much.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 1:20 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
I have a mid 2012. It is my second one and the first one had a. Graphics card failure. I think the mouse just gets stuck though from me using it too much.

Do you still have the first one?

They refunded everyone their money for the pairs and extended the warranties until 2016.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/ ... deo-issues

You can get that one fixed for free now.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 11:54 am

I don't have the first one anymore, and I got my first for half price at best buy when my pic broke and the second Mac was free.