Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DataLore
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2015, 8:57 pm

I just made bacon without burning it, this is a monumental achievement for me. Sorry I know this is probably such a pointless thing to make a topic over but unless anyone has seen my attempts to make food before, they won't know how amazing this is. I'm ridiculously over the moon at being able to cook a thing. XDD

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 9:03 pm

Congrats! :hail:

I've been learning to cook lately myself and still can't make bacon without getting at least some of it burnt.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 9:13 pm

Because of its curing, bacon is already "cooked." This makes it possible for anyone to decide for themselves how warm, hot, crispy or even burned it should be. Still, achieving the desired preparation is the hard part. Knowing how to prepare food is one of my secret pleasures, but I still make mistakes. My high-school Foods classes were my favorite, and I learned more from them than the others. Nonetheless, congratulations on your success in preparing your bacon to your liking! :)

What is your next cooking experiment?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

DataLore
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2015, 9:34 pm

TEEHEE thanks guys! I'm practically giddy clapping here I'm so happy roflmao, and it's good to know I'm not annoying people with my asinine and probably insignificant achievements (compared to some). ^^'

Next stop is definitely stealing the recipe for malaysian chow mein that my local chinese takeaway uses, and somehow replicating it perfectly. It would save me from pouring all my money into their accounts. I'm so addicted to this one dish it could probably be considered a special interest tbh BUT THEY MAKE IT SO TASTY! XD

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 May 2015, 12:25 am

I had some very good results cooking bacon in the oven, which makes it really delicious, less fatty and less chance of it burning. This was while I was briefly working as a chef at a game lodge (although the pressure got too much eventually). The manager thought it was rather a silly idea to do it in the oven (although people loved it) but I was vindicated some time ago when I read somewhere online that it's actually the best method of cooking bacon.

I enjoy cooking when there's no pressure and have certain standby recipes including a lovely one for macaroni and cheese using the oven only, no pre-cooking needed.

There are many very good recipes available on the internet for virtually anything you like: maybe you could find a very similar one to the malaysian chow mein if you search?

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 12:43 am

I never tried making bacon in the oven...but I mostly make bacon and eggs for my bf so I don't think the eggs would work well in the oven :lol:
But I see how that could work well, specially if you have to make a big amount.
I love the oven, I always make chicken nuggets, fish sticks, French fries in the oven...I hate the fryer that my bf uses sometimes, the whole house stinks of disgusting oil...but he is learning to appreciate the food made in the oven instead, it becomes crispy without having to use extra fat.

And congrats DataLore :)

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 May 2015, 2:30 am

You could always do the bacon in the oven and the eggs on the stovetop...

I'm not really much of a meat eater and could possibly survive as a vegetarian provided I could eat cheese and other diary products. I've had vegetarian phases before.

my blog:

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 May 2015, 2:38 am

(Moved to Random discussion) - (topic more suitable there than in general Autism discussion)

my blog:

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 2:47 am

I know what Im gonna have for breakfast... it's a bank holiday here and I suspect the smell will rouse the sleepy heads in this house.

Baked eggs :D http://fitfoodiefinds.com/2012/11/how-t ... s-in-oven/

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 2:55 am

I'm also a person with vegetarian periods :)
My longest pure vegetarian period was from 13-16 after seeing Babe...
But after that I eat chicken and fish sometimes, and I don't think I could live without dairy products. My vegetarian periods consist of vegetable soups, salads and bread...I eat badly on my vegetarian periods...

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 2:56 am

Well I learned 2 new things today, you can make bacon AND eggs in the oven :)

DataLore
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2015, 4:34 am

Ahh apologies for putting this in the wrong section I was just so super excited to have made FOOD that I posted it in the first forum pretty much! ^^'

You guys have absolutely cheered me up from a panic attack inducing moment earlier though with all this talk of tasty food, so thank you!

I've got a strange sort of fear of using the oven weirdly. Anything I can cook on the stove is fine (if I can cook it... if..) but the oven is like a strange gateway to hell, where the twiddly things make heat and noise but you have to be some kind of all knowing deity to know which setting to put it on and how long for and AH it makes my head spin! My journey away from the microwave is going to be a tough one. XD

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 May 2015, 5:26 am

No problem at all. :D

Actually the oven is quite a forgiving medium to cook with when it comes to most meal dishes. Cakes and biscuits are a slightly more delicate matter and need more care, but are not really that difficult to manage with a teeny bit of practice.

my blog:

DataLore
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2015, 5:44 am

Rofl that might have been where I went wrong then, trying to bake a cake as my first foray into oven territory. XD

I am pretty determined to learn this though, because it's a normal adult thing to be able to do, and just because I'm very lucky to have a fast food place that produces ridiculously high quality and relatively healthy food, I shouldn't really be relying on them. Don't even know where my anxieties about cooking come from anyway.. probably just from not knowing what I'm doing in the first place. It's all unknown territory, and my dad was and is a brilliant chef so that's a lot to live up to! ^^'

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 8:01 pm

I've been a bit confused reading all the above references to cooking bacon. I've always cooked it under the grill, which seems a pretty simple and foolproof way of doing it (allow about 10-12 minutes each side, medium heat setting). By 'on the stove', do people mean cooking in oil on a hotplate, or something else? :?

DataLore
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2015, 1:37 pm

That's exactly what I did DeepHour, on a hotplate I mean. :D