medical ID Bracelets-to write Asperger's Syndrome or autism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2016, 5:40 pm

My feeling is a medical alert bracelet of some sort is a must. Especially if you are driving. It is something that will speak for you if you are involved in a crash and found unconscious.

I highly recommend the ones at Lauren's Hope (www.laurenshope.com) where they have a very large selection. I bought one made of cloth and velcro and that is designed to be waterproof. https://www.laurenshope.com/black-adjus ... t&catId=37 It comes with a plastic insert that you can write your info on. However, I used the insert to refer an interested party to a card in my wallet where I have more detailed info (emergency contact, doctor name and how to contact, my antidepressant, etc). And I never leave the house without it on my left wrist. If I am driving and in an accident, an emt will get to my left side first.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2016, 8:00 pm

Ebay also has some really good ones. OwnYourAS is good too. Sticky Jewelry is good. I got my bracelet part from OwnYourAS and the tag from Sticky Jewelry. I could get Sticky Jewelry to do more lines engraved than I could get Lauren's Hope but if you don't need as many lines as I do, Lauren's hope is good.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 10:14 pm

Alita wrote:
I would put autism as it's a more well-known word.

Exactly.

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2016, 11:29 am

I think I would have put ASD. Do you think that's well-known enough? Or is autism the better bet.

I've been pondering getting one, as I wouldn't want someone to construe my hearing loss as being unresponsive. But I'm not really sure that I actually need one.

ADHD diagnosed in July 2016

Also "probable" dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Plus a smattering of mental health problems that have now been mostly resolved.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 12:06 pm

I'd use 'Autism' instead of ASD. ASD can be construed as many different things -

Atrial Septal Defect
Aberrant Subclavian or Subclavicular Defect
Alport Syndrome, Dominant type
Adult Still's Disease
American School for the Deaf or Austin School for the Deaf or Anaheim School for the Deaf or...
Atrioventricular Septal Defect
Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
Acute Stress Disorder
Athroscopic Subacromial Decompression
Anti-Siphon Device
Aging Semantic Differential
Aspartate Beta-semialdehyde Dehydrogenase
Adult Spinal Deformity

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 7:29 am

AspieUtah wrote:
After some extensive research about this idea, I believe that the nonprofit organization Crisis Intervention Team Inc. (CIT Inc.) of Albuquerque, N.M., ( http://www.gocit.org/care-cards.html ) does a great job in creating an Alert/ID card that relies on specific tailored information for each person ... for just $10.00!

For such an affordable price, it might just be a good idea to have one, just in case.

medicalert has ones for autistic people for free! with free shipping!! ! http://www.medicalert.org/autism

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 7:33 am

ConceptuallyCurious wrote:
I think I would have put ASD. Do you think that's well-known enough? Or is autism the better bet.

I've been pondering getting one, as I wouldn't want someone to construe my hearing loss as being unresponsive. But I'm not really sure that I actually need one.

mine says ASD on the front and autism spectrum disorder on the back, just so that if i need to get help i can show them the backside

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 7:34 am

redrobin62 wrote:
I'd use 'Autism' instead of ASD. ASD can be construed as many different things -

Atrial Septal Defect
Aberrant Subclavian or Subclavicular Defect
Alport Syndrome, Dominant type
Adult Still's Disease
American School for the Deaf or Austin School for the Deaf or Anaheim School for the Deaf or...
Atrioventricular Septal Defect
Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
Acute Stress Disorder
Athroscopic Subacromial Decompression
Anti-Siphon Device
Aging Semantic Differential
Aspartate Beta-semialdehyde Dehydrogenase
Adult Spinal Deformity

on the front mine says:
ASD i understand but i may not respond

and on the back:
my name
Autism spectrum disorder
and my moms phone number

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 7:35 am

teksla wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
After some extensive research about this idea, I believe that the nonprofit organization Crisis Intervention Team Inc. (CIT Inc.) of Albuquerque, N.M., ( http://www.gocit.org/care-cards.html ) does a great job in creating an Alert/ID card that relies on specific tailored information for each person ... for just $10.00!

For such an affordable price, it might just be a good idea to have one, just in case.

medicalert has ones for autistic people for free! with free shipping!! ! http://www.medicalert.org/autism

That is a nice offer! Unfortunately, I can't stand to wear necklaces, bracelets or rings consistently. So, for me, a card works perfectly.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 7:36 am

AspieUtah wrote:
teksla wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

That is a nice offer! Unfortunately, I can't stand to wear necklaces, bracelets or rings consistently. So, for me, a card works perfectly.

you also get a shoe tag for free, so i recommend getting a bracelet or necklace, either one can be used as a keyring

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 9:58 am

I think the only time you really need to put something on a medical bracelet is if it is something that really needs to be known. Like if you have an allergy or something. I guess if your autism is really that apparent then you could have it on a bracelet, especially when it comes to dealing with police :p

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2016, 10:10 am

Mine has everything engraved but it is now barely readable. It's like wearing it so long now has it so you can barely read the engravings.

Does anyone know a way to avoid this happening and have it so the engravings are permanent? Also the color of the medical symbol is not permanent on anything I have looked into.

I wear mine 24 hours a day. I have it as a bracelet since that is most comfortable. I also wear it tight since I can't stand loose jewelry, clothes, or things like that.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 10:16 am

Uhura wrote:
Mine has everything engraved but it is now barely readable. It's like wearing it so long now has it so you can barely read the engravings.

Does anyone know a way to avoid this happening and have it so the engravings are permanent? Also the color of the medical symbol is not permanent on anything I have looked into.

I wear mine 24 hours a day. I have it as a bracelet since that is most comfortable. I also wear it tight since I can't stand loose jewellery, clothes, or things like that.

Do you have a stainless steel bracelet or other material? Is it engraved on the front or back? mine is one that has the important information engraved on the back touching the band, not my skin to preserve the engraving.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2016, 5:34 pm

Mine is engraved on the back and is stainless steel. The medical symbol is on the front. I wear it 24/7 and am often in the water.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 6:25 pm

ConceptuallyCurious wrote:

For your hearing loss I'd definitely recommend it, that way if you're in an accident, they won't automatically attribute your diminished hearing to a head or brain trauma.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 4:20 pm

AspieUtah wrote:

I had to bump this up a bit. I just finished buying two copies of my disability alert card. Ordering my CARE Cards was very easy and affordable. The web site described easily how to choose a card, define the information on the card, view the draft card (with ability to make last-minute changes), approve the card, and pay the invoice all online!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)