Yet Another Full-Time vs Part-Time Discussion

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mastercraft
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2015, 4:01 am

Hey everyone, I work full-time in a call center working retail. I make $10USD an hour, working 80 hours every two weeks (the length of a typical pay period for my call center. It is extremely demanding for me, I don't like talking on the phone in general, and I have a low tolerance for people that aren't versed in the basics of 'computer smarts'. The stress is getting to me, and I am thinking of looking for other jobs, since my frequent meltdowns have made me miss a lot of work.

What I want to know is, should I stick with a high-stress, full-time job regardless of personal harm? Or should I seek out alternate employment, perhaps something with less hours, so as to keep it all manageable?

I have a girlfriend who is not employed and lives with me, as well as a studio apartment, so I need work regardless, and as is, I can barely keep up. I also have some medical issues that need diagnosing, although I don't have the time or funds to do so.

In a perfect world, I would want a full-time job doing some boring clerical duty, maybe paperwork or filing. I did filing as an intern for a month, and although I was unpaid, I enjoyed the work, as it allowed me to listen to quiet music, I was almost never bothered, and I even looked forward to it, instead of dreading work as I do now.

Thoughts?

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 1:51 pm

For the pay you are getting, I would keep looking for other positions because there doesn't seem to be any incentive for you to stay there, especially if you don't even like the job. I've seen many call center positions pay in the 12-17 dollar an hour range so you are being underpaid now. Most clerical positions like filing pay in the range you are getting now but if you are lucky, you can find some that pay a little better as well. I have witnessed too many people in my time time stay at bad jobs just because they were afraid to leave or didn't think they could find something better. Never feel like you are stuck at any job.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

LillyDale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2015, 4:53 pm

I would be looking. Phones can be burnout inducing even in NT people.

Cartier
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2015, 6:27 pm

Keep looking. Life's too short to resign yourself to working a job you loathe.

Mastercraft
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 May 2015, 4:52 am

Thanks for the tips. Actually, my gf moved out a few days ago, and the stress just about halved. I still hate my job, heh, but its definitely a little easier. I'm thinking of moving to chat support as opposed to phone support, see if typing is easier than talking. I'm also in the process of finding other work, perhaps in medical insurance.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 8:31 am

Yeah, I was gonna say the girlfriend needs to contribute to the household. I would definitely try chat support. As a customer, I LOVE chat support and I imagine it's also easier from the other end.