FBI Spent Years 'Researching' The Lyrics To 'Louie, Louie'

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 8:16 pm

TechDirt.com wrote:
Last week, as you may or may not have heard, a guy named Jack Ely passed away at the age of 71. The name may not be that familiar, but the voice almost certainly is. Jack Ely was -- fairly briefly -- the lead singer of the Kingsmen, and happened to do a cover song in a single take under poor conditions, that created one of the most memorable songs in rock and roll history, also known as Louie Louie[.] You know the song. You also know the lyrics are completely indecipherable. However, with Ely's death, there's been renewed attention to the fact that the FBI spent nearly two years investigating the damn song. It is just as ridiculous as it sounds, but the FBI has released the file on its investigation and it's a rather hilarious read. It turns out it wasn't just the FBI, but involved the FCC and the Post Office....

TechDirt.com: "FBI Spent Years 'Researching' The Lyrics To 'Louie, Louie' Before Realizing The Copyright Office Must Have Them" (May 9, 2015)
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150 ... them.shtml

Typical.

For those federal workers who didn't get the memo, here are the lyrics ( http://www.songlyrics.com/the-kingsmen/ ... uie-lyrics ).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 8:28 pm

Law enforcement running amok as usual. We need to abolish the police at all levels.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 1:53 am

Massive fail by the FBI. The cold war era really stupefied the whole nation, trying to extol the virtues democracy and freedom, by diminishing you own. What has changed?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 2:01 am

dionysian wrote:
Law enforcement running amok as usual. We need to abolish the police at all levels.

You can't abolish law enforcement. You have enforce the true role of law enforcement, with an approach like policing by consent:

viewtopic.php?t=284205

The US had the wild west, it was literally governed and enforce by criminals.

"Anti-subversive" is not a role the police, or any government agency should be involved in.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 3:54 am

0_equals_true wrote:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 3:56 am

dionysian wrote:

Whilst I'm sure most people could be self-regulating, I'm also sure there's a group of people that will run amok if left unchecked (like in natural disasters when there's no police).

Of course, people could keep those in line, but there's a good chance they might be more brutal than the current police.

It ain't all flowers, pot and rainbows.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 8:39 am

In the original 1956 R+B version by Richard Berry its quite easy to understand the words, and the storyline.

A Jamaican immigrant in the US misses his girl back in Jamaica. He confides his sorrow to a bartender named Louie. He then stows away on freighter and makes it back to Jamaica. Nothing cryptic or naughty about it.
(Richard Berry was influenced by both Chuck Berry's Latin flavored "Havanna Moon", and by Frank Sinatra "One For My Baby, and One For the Road"-from the later he appropriated the idea of the narrator addressing a bartender).

But the six years later version by the Kingsmen was recorded with the late Jack Ely while: he had to scream at a mic hanging from the ceiling, while holding his head back to aim his mouth straight up (the worst position for vocal delivery), while at the same time trying to mimic the Jamaican dialect of the song's narrator ( "Louie Louie, Me gotta go, me catch the ship across the sea, me think of [the] girl constantly")."

The result of the recording session is: a rough hewn piece of kick ass rock ahead of its time in its punk like sound, but also with indecipherable lyrics buried in the sound of the back up instruments.

The song climbed the charts at modest speed, but then the rumor spread that the murky lyrics concealed "something dirty". The rumor resulted in the double edged sword of bad publicity to hit the song- on one hand it got banned on some radio stations- but on the other the naughty mystique caused it to become even more insanely popular, and to climb the charts faster.

Both Richard Berry, and members of the Kingsmen, were even called before a U.S. Senate committee to testify about the lyrics of the scandalous song.

A generation later in the Eighties the Rap Group "The Fat Boys" celebrated the scandal on a club vinyl that starts with "my moms told me about this song one day that was a hit back when she was my age...the words were mumbled- like the singer was trying to cover up the lyrics.. so it MUST be about gettin' busy- nobody had no doubt! I told my Moms, "I'd like to check out this song!". She turned on an oldies station, it came on before long..."and then the Fat Boys segue into their own rap version of 'Louie Louie'.

Interestingly Louie Louie has certain similarities in chord structure to another seminal hit rocker that (like Louie Louie) is associated with the Pacific Northwest. That song being 1992's "Smells Like Teenspirit" by Nirvanna that put the Seattle Grunge Rock scene on the map. Both songs have a mystique.

Deciphering Kurt Cobain's words as he belts out "Teenspirit" on the Nevermind album is as challenging as decifering Jack Ely as he belts out Louie Louie.

But with Louie Louie at least when you finally DO understand the lyrics you...understand the lyrics. With Teenspirit when you finally understand the lyrics you STILL ... don't understand the lyrics ( "an albino, a mosquito, a marichino, my libido"). WTF?

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 11:04 am

naturalplastic wrote:
In the original 1956 R+B version by Richard Berry its quite easy to understand the words, and the storyline.

A Jamaican immigrant in the US misses his girl back in Jamaica. He confides his sorrow to a bartender named Louie. He then stows away on freighter and makes it back to Jamaica. Nothing cryptic or naughty about it.
(Richard Berry was influenced by both Chuck Berry's Latin flavored "Havanna Moon", and by Frank Sinatra "One For My Baby, and One For the Road"-from the later he appropriated the idea of the narrator addressing a bartender).

But the six years later version by the Kingsmen was recorded with the late Jack Ely while: he had to scream at a mic hanging from the ceiling, while holding his head back to aim his mouth straight up (the worst position for vocal delivery), while at the same time trying to mimic the Jamaican dialect of the song's narrator ( "Louie Louie, Me gotta go, me catch the ship across the sea, me think of [the] girl constantly")."

The result of the recording session is: a rough hewn piece of kick ass rock ahead of its time in its punk like sound, but also with indecipherable lyrics buried in the sound of the back up instruments.

The song climbed the charts at modest speed, but then the rumor spread that the murky lyrics concealed "something dirty". The rumor resulted in the double edged sword of bad publicity to hit the song- on one hand it got banned on some radio stations- but on the other the naughty mystique caused it to become even more insanely popular, and to climb the charts faster.

Both Richard Berry, and members of the Kingsmen, were even called before a U.S. Senate committee to testify about the lyrics of the scandalous song.

A generation later in the Eighties the Rap Group "The Fat Boys" celebrated the scandal on a club vinyl that starts with "my moms told me about this song one day that was a hit back when she was my age...the words were mumbled- like the singer was trying to cover up the lyrics.. so it MUST be about gettin' busy- nobody had no doubt! I told my Moms, "I'd like to check out this song!". She turned on an oldies station, it came on before long..."and then the Fat Boys segue into their own rap version of 'Louie Louie'.

Interestingly Louie Louie has certain similarities in chord structure to another seminal hit rocker that (like Louie Louie) is associated with the Pacific Northwest. That song being 1992's "Smells Like Teenspirit" by Nirvanna that put the Seattle Grunge Rock scene on the map. Both songs have a mystique.

Deciphering Kurt Cobain's words as he belts out "Teenspirit" on the Nevermind album is as challenging as decifering Jack Ely as he belts out Louie Louie.

But with Louie Louie at least when you finally DO understand the lyrics you...understand the lyrics. With Teenspirit when you finally understand the lyrics you STILL ... don't understand the lyrics ( "an albino, a mosquito, a marichino, my libido"). WTF?

Louie Louie --> More Than A Feeling --> Debaser --> Smells Like Teen Spirit

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2015, 3:31 am

ya can't make this stuff up. :shrug:

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 5:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

But with Louie Louie at least when you finally DO understand the lyrics you...understand the lyrics. With Teenspirit when you finally undress the lyrics you STILL ... don't understand the lyrics ( "an albino, a mosquito, a marichino, my libido"). WTF?

Assuming you've listening to a Beatle's song or two; as the Beatles are arguably recognized as the best Rock and Roll band in history; even revolutionizing greater freedom of expression through all their artistic antics;

Much of the lyrics of the Music by the Beatles is prompted by totally RANDOM STUFF; often in a free flow of free verse-like poetry in whatever FEELS RIGHT TO WRITE DOWN THAT DOES NOT HAVE TO MAKE SENSE at all, in terms of rational systemizing mind.

THE whole point of ART is to grow human emotion and IMAGINATION IN introspective and interpretive REAL GREATER Human potential. In short, as metaphor, right brain thinking in big picture way, as opposed to left brain limited thinking in detail way.

Creativity and imagination is not just an abstract concept; the essence of the 'organic muscle' that is human emotions, imagination, and creativity can be grown or dried up like a desert.

With GREATER HUMAN freedom of expression comes greater human imagination and creativity; and emotional expression in all arts of life, AS HUMAN SPIRIT.

Free avenues to express freedom of expression, in all imaginative ways of creativity, in all mediums of imagination and creativity is BOOMING AS WE SPEAK.

The playing field is leveled now; where it doesn't necessarily make a difference who one knows in life or who one's parents are to achieve success in the field of ART.

And Haha! it doesn't usually PAY MUCH;

But the price of a human soul, heart, and spirit in terms of freedom of expression of human spirit is PRICELESS for those folks who have increased their all natural human potential in imagination and creativity to become artists in flow; rather than systemizing bones of life.

So yeah; I am the Walrus too; and with human imagination and creativity utilized anyone can find greatER faith, hope, and belief, in even an imaginary Walrus.

But yah; it takes the REAL LIFE MUSCLE OF HUMAN IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY AND EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN; beyond school, text books, and other human collective intelligence sponsored instruction.

I can do anything I set my imagination and creativity to.

If I rely on the systemizing rational mind to LIVE; I WILL STILL BE DEAD IN LIFE;

IF alive at all, per all natural recovery from the synergy of 19 life threatening disorders.

THE Beatles understood this, and CAPITALIZED on it in terms of BOTH MONEY;

AND HUMAN SOULS, Hearts, and spirits COME BACK TO LIFE AGAIN.

WHERE THE CHILD'S EYES of wonder
shine again
as
'Walrus' or
'Yellow Submarine';

OR 'Mr. Kite' generated by
a circus flyer,
in free flow
imagination
and CREATIVITY.

The way it works is 'YOU' ARE 'SUPPOSED'
TO FIGURE out what ART means to 'you';
not how it is intended to be viewed, if
intention is part of the brew OF ART,
by the original creating
ARTIST, at ALL.

And yes, THIS IS ALREADY A REALIZED
THERAPY TO HELP SEVERELY AUTISTIC
FOLKS COME
BACK TO a fuller human
potential, as well.

Both ART and
Movement therapy
is what is often
missing in the
Autistic 'perfect'
storms of challenge.

The road to cure can be as simple
as replacing A U with an R;
moving from Autistic
to Artistic; for those
folks willing to
JUMP OUT OF
THE
BOX
OF CULTURAL
ENFORCED
INSTRUCTION
IN Mechanical
Cognition
limited
ways
of thinking;
AND LIVING LIFE;
LESS THAN what
can be much FULLER ALIVE
IN HUMAN POTENTIAL NOW.

The truly sad fact is:

SOME FOLKS JUST CANNOT IMAGINE
ANYTHING other than
literal STUFF.

AND THIS IS a major problem in
all so-called, 1st world countries
today; as truly a FIRST WORLD
PROBLEM
IN
MECHANICAL
LEANING ONLY
(questionable)
HUMAN
COGNITION.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 5:42 pm

^^^
more about the beatles and their quasi-random creativity- it turns out that the song "fool on the hill" has an "etymology" that is quite complex, but is rooted in a weird paranormal incident when paul was walking his dog [named martha] atop primrose hill overlooking london, and as he watched the sunrise, he noticed martha went missing. paul looked around for her when he encountered a strange man wearing a belted raincoat- the two exchanged pleasantries about the sublime view of the city atop the hill, then paul turned away from the man for an instant, and when he looked back the man was gone, which was strange because the nearest trees were hundreds of feet away and the man could not have run that far that fast. then again, since paul was at that time a heavy user of mind-altering weed, it could just have been that his perceptions were up in smoke.
so that is one part of the fool on the hill, the original impetus for Lennon/McCartney to write it down on paper. the other part of the fool has to do with george and his veneration of the maharishi, "head in a cloud, the man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud" [IOW the hindu religion has been referred as being made up "of thousands of gods/voices"]- and when george tried to get paul and john to share his interest, he was met with indifference ["but nobody ever hears him, or the sound he appears to make, and he never seems to notice..."], IOW john and paul weren't listening. so i am gathering that the maharishi was indeed the other major part of the subject of "the fool on the hill."
the point of this tangent, is- I wonder, how could such a simple song as "Louie Louie" generate so much head-scratching? :scratch: I wonder also, who would have guessed that there was such a complex story behind such a [seemingly] simple song? how much of that kind of thought process was pharmacologically assisted?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 5:46 pm

...Oft hoida' this , will read when (hopefully) can read at length :-) !

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 5:59 pm

"Louie Louie," simply, was about some guy telling a bartender about some girl he's missing who lives on another island in the Caribbean (the lyrics, evidently, were written in West Indian syntax.)

After a while, he knows he has to "go now" to fetch/see this girl whom he misses. "Away I go now."

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 5:59 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
more about the beatles and their quasi-random creativity- it turns out that the song "fool on the hill" has an "etymology" that is quite complex, but is rooted in a weird paranormal incident when paul was walking his dog [named martha] atop primrose hill overlooking london, and as he watched the sunrise, he noticed martha went missing. paul looked around for her when he encountered a strange man wearing a belted raincoat- the two exchanged pleasantries about the sublime view of the city atop the hill, then paul turned away from the man for an instant, and when he looked back the man was gone, which was strange because the nearest trees were hundreds of feet away and the man could not have run that far that fast. then again, since paul was at that time a heavy user of mind-altering weed, it could just have been that his perceptions were up in smoke.
so that is one part of the fool on the hill, the original impetus for Lennon/McCartney to write it down on paper. the other part of the fool has to do with george and his veneration of the maharishi, "head in a cloud, the man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud" [IOW the hindu religion has been referred as being made up "of thousands of gods/voices"]- and when george tried to get paul and john to share his interest, he was met with indifference ["but nobody ever hears him, or the sound he appears to make, and he never seems to notice..."], IOW john and paul weren't listening. so i am gathering that the maharishi was indeed the other major part of the subject of "the fool on the hill."
the point of this tangent, is- I wonder, how could such a simple song as "Louie Louie" generate so much head-scratching? :scratch: I wonder also, who would have guessed that there was such a complex story behind such a [seemingly] simple song? how much of that kind of thought process was pharmacologically assisted?

I Love the Beatles.

Truly they show that with the imagination and
CREATIVITY of deeper thinking, one
CAN CHANGE THE WORLD,
no matter how much
the black and
white thinkers
in conservative
colors of humans
turn their
noses up
at
it..:)

But there is nature and genetics behind this;
as science now shows that approximately
80% of all animals are innately more
liberal movers in all ways of life
and there are the ever present
20% who are conservative
sitters; of which often
are comprised
of Autistic
folks too;
per natural
propensity of
getting all
stuck inside
a sitting
BOX.

I am a natural extreme extrovert;
and truly online stuff like this
is almost entirely an introvert
game; as heavily participated
Personality polls to the tune
of 95% or so, indicate
on this particular
website.

But it's just 'cause it is online
text stuff; there are plenty of
extroverted so-called autistic
folks; who have the opposite
issue of being too connected
to other humans, instead of
being hardly connected
at all in terms of
affective
and
cognitive
empathy.

'Empaths' rarely ever personally
attack other folks; and cold
hearted folks are easy to
spot, even in
TEXT words
of DIRECT
personal
attacks.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 8:23 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^

Could THAT be who Paul is singing about in the White Album song that goes "Martha...my dear....you have always been my inspiration. Martha my dear. Remember me... Martha my dear..."?

His dog?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 5:35 am

Does anyone think the Richard Berry one is the best? I'm not just saying that becuase it is the original, I just think it has the nicer riff, rhythm and has better progression.

Mento (Jamaican Folk Music) has less relation to it musically, nor any Reggae relative (except maybe rock steady).

Mento being a black folk music, is culturally similar to blues, and they both commonly related to work songs and relationship trouble.

Richard Berry was a rock/doo-wop/RnB specialist, and was inspired by many things, but also this is American not Caribbean in style. Just a Caribbean inspired narrative.