Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Runo Misaki
Raven
Raven

22 May 2019, 10:38 am

Yeah. This happens to me too. I make an anxious face and my body jerks a little. My family thinks I'm being dramatic or overreacting when the reality is that I can't really control how I feel. It happens all of a sudden.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2019, 9:15 pm

Yes

Heart murmur

20 / 20 hearing

Social anxiety Disorder

Depression

:mrgreen:

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2019, 10:44 pm

I'm a jumpy person...maybe not "exaggeratedly" so, but I tend to twitch and flinch a lot.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 2:03 am

Every once in a while. But usually not. Often too wrapped up in my thoughts to notice if an airplane crashed into the house.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 3:48 am

This thread is several years old. As several noted back then, the exaggerated startle response is a hallmark of PTSD.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 7:18 am

Redxk wrote:
This thread is several years old. As several noted back then, the exaggerated startle response is a hallmark of PTSD.

Definitely, it's one hallmark of PTSD. You can only imagine how jumpy I was when I suffered a stroke subsequent to C-PTSD.
Thank goodness, the stroke jumpiness ended after six months or so. Now I'm just my usual level of ... startled.

8)

purplecloud
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2019, 7:57 am

It depends. I remember when I was a kid and had a bunny that used to make lots of random jumps and for some reason that always startled me and actually made me scared (who gets scared of bunnies???).

A while ago when my friend and I were second hand shopping, we met our former art teacher who was on her way to the same store as us. My friend had to lock her car or something, so I followed her and the teacher went in before us. Then when we were in the store and I was busy looking at the clothes, suddenly I see the teacher standing beside me and it really startled me so I said "oh f**k that scared me" :oops: I should probably have said "hi" or something... Oh well.

But then other times when other people usually get visibly startled (like when watching a scary movie or someone comes up to intentionally scare them), I'm a walking stone-face. I remember in high school when I was walking in the hallway with some classmates and other classmates sometimes wanted to scare us for fun and jumped out in front of us. The others usually screamed and jumped, but my reaction was pretty much -> :| "...oh?"
It could even take a second for me to realise what happened, so my (mostly lack of) reaction was a bit delayed lol. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 1:52 pm

It’s very interesting to see this thread again, especially the remarks about PTSD. I was diagnosed last year with PTSD stemming from an event that occurred in my early childhood. I suppose my exaggerated startle response could be attributed to that.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2019, 2:26 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! that's why! lol I have complex PTSD but never realised that's the potential cause of why I'm so jumpy. Makes so much sense. I'm glad this thread was revived so I could learn that.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 2:14 am

Redxk wrote:

I'm pretty sure I don't have PTSD, but I have a stronger-than-average startle response, especially when my concentration is broken. I think the cause is just an autism-related difficulty in shifting my attention from one thing to another.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 2:36 am

every since i could remember, i've had an exaggerated startle response- i attended a military funeral one time, and i was conspicuously jumpy every time the rifle salute fired, nobody else moved at all.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2019, 4:36 am

I have an exaggerated startle response, as well.
I read that this is indicative of CPTSD but I don't know about that...maybe it could be residual from a time where I had that.
I don't think it automatically means you have definitely CPTSD. Maybe it's just a residue from when you might have had it. Otherwise,....an exaggerated startle response is a sign of constant stress in the body.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 6:32 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I feel like I jump and startle at everything; anything loud, anything sudden or unexpected, even fast-moving things in my peripheral vision. I think it's related to sensory hypersensitivity, does anybody else do this?

For me, it all has to do with whether it's unexpected. I actually like certain loud noises, IF I'm expecting them. But anything sudden (as you said), be it noise, touch, etc... can elicit a violent response. I won't mean to, but it won't matter.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.