Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 6:34 am

Well, if you go off magnitude rather than direction. The Suffragettes managed to holdback the progress of women's suffrage by years (decades?), by making women appear insane and by attacking anyone who disagreed with them, even when said disagreement wasn't about whether women should have the vote...

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 1:05 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:
"you've just got to speak the right language with some of them."

"Looking at it, I think the major issue here is that it wasn't a group or a page you were posting on, it was on someone's personal Facebook page. He's not in a position of responsibility or anything so he doesn't need to tell people to be nice to you."

I don't even speak the right language with non-SJW types... Maybe I should avoid all human contact lest I continue to screw up communication :P

And actually, that isn't his personal facebook page, he has a private one. That one was just one he used as a very public page where anyone was able to post (not sure if that's still true). I can understand if I had gone into a private group and started trouble, but if something is public, why should I feel like I can't comment? I'd not be able to comment anywhere.

My first experience with SJWs was in what was supposed to be a support group for mothers, and I was told that I was naive to think that anyone could be racist or sexist, and that they thought it was perfectly fine for a black person to beat up a white person because the white person was an oppressor of the people just by being born. The white person didn't have to have done anything, either. And according to these women, cis white men are the least of all people. They do have a hierarchy, they don't believe everyone should be treated equally, and while you may find a couple who do think everyone should be treated equally, it's not common and technically goes against their way of thinking. Their actions say a lot.

Beneficii, I agree they should be able to have their own space to talk freely, but that shouldn't be a public space, it should be a private group.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 2:35 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
My first experience with SJWs was in what was supposed to be a support group for mothers, and I was told that I was naive to think that anyone could be racist or sexist, and that they thought it was perfectly fine for a black person to beat up a white person because the white person was an oppressor of the people just by being born. The white person didn't have to have done anything, either.

The bold in the above quote is what stood out. The only thing that I have to say about that is they say f***ing WHAT?!?!?!? --Still though, Racism is racism irregardless of color, and only goes to illustrate my point that they are reactionaries pimping off the old racist mindset under the 'progress'.

Then too, a lot of the SJW's that I've met come from privileged backgrounds so that would indicate that when black people resort to violence it is to be expected because they are after all, black people, and that is what black people do. :x :evil:

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 1:48 pm

Ahh yes.....The Classic derailing tactic.

My Impression of the OP:

It seems like some kind of golden rule of the internet these days whenever someone dares to attempt to discuss a topic even vaguely related to sexual assualt or harassment.

HINT: Nobody is saying "all men are rapists" so you're literally arguing against a point nobody made.

It's a shame you can't just reach through your computer and slap them all....... :ninja:

Last edited by Geekonychus on 20 May 2015, 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 1:50 pm

My impression of the OP's brother:

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 3:40 pm

-_-;

Did you read the thread? I already admitted I went in guns blazing, but my brother was actually quite calm and his statement was about changing the comic to something more comparable.
I really don't understand why the need to demonize my brother.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 3:55 pm

I was once banned from a website by the (alleged) girlfriend of the website owner, after having dared to suggest in a public forum that deprecating comments against men were sexist, should not be allowed, and could be construed bannable offenses under the (then) current rules. My stated goal was to protect the more gullible members from having their minds poisoned by the more misogynistic members. She seemed to have taken my goal as a personal attack, and banned me without allowing for an appeal to the owner.

Fortunately, I was re-instated about a year after the owner had replaced all of the mods with more open-minded types who could be reasoned with, and who would actually examine the available evidence.

There will always be mods who over-react, but at least there seem to be no "Social Justice Warrior" types on this website.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 4:02 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
HINT: Nobody is saying "all men are rapists" so you're literally arguing against a point nobody made.

I'm not so certain about that. When her brother posted that most men aren't rapists, one member actually asked him to prove it. The fact that the one member asked him to prove it is an indication to me that she actually believes that most men are rapists.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 4:03 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
My impression of the OP's brother:

Are you actually accusing her brother of being a rapist? On what basis?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 4:14 pm

Geekonychus,

Good post!

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 4:33 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
-_-;

Did you read the thread? I already admitted I went in guns blazing, but my brother was actually quite calm and his statement was about changing the comic to something more comparable.
I really don't understand why the need to demonize my brother.

I think that your brother misunderstood the comic. Also there is a bit of a fallacy in saying that because most men don't do it, it must be a rare occurrence. Most rapists are serial and repeat offenders, therefore it's quite possible that far more women get raped than there are men who are rapists.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 11:57 pm

"I hope she didn't give me a fake number." While the woman is thinking, "I hope he doesn't rape and murder me."

What's actually the context of this? I'm assuming it's from someone that's experienced attempted/actual rape and/or murder, so they have anxiety from a bad life event, and they're trying to get back in the saddle so to speak (PTSD; you know how that goes).

I wouldn't fault someone taking it at face value if there's no context given, though.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 12:34 am

Every man is a potential rapist. Do you think there's no way you'd ever rape a woman?
But every rapist, at some point in his life, has thought "I would never do that."

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 12:54 am

Barchan wrote:
Do you think there's no way you'd ever rape a woman?

Only if they ask me nicely.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 3:57 am

Barchan wrote:
Every man is a potential rapist. Do you think there's no way you'd ever rape a woman?
But every rapist, at some point in his life, has thought "I would never do that."

Blatant sexism is against the forum rules....this thread seems to be degenerating into trolling and sexism. Even though this is PPR, still forum rules still should be respected.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 3:58 am

Barchan wrote:

Exactly what are you insinuating with that question? That all men are likely to rape a woman sometime in their life? Jeez, that's like asking if you think that there's no way that you would ever murder someone. "Do you think that there's no way that you'd ever kill someone?"

Barchan wrote:

Statistically, that most likely isn't true because the majority of rapists are actually serial offenders. In fact, I think that I've seen a statistic somewhere that the majority of rapists commit their first rape before age 18. It's often the case that they don't believe that what they're doing is rape but that's a different story.