Dyslexia auto executive function and wanting to become a wri

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Prisonerinsidethecomputer1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 May 2015, 7:54 am

Hello there I am new here. It may not be apparent in this post. I was diagnosed with autoexecutive dysfunction and live with dyslexia and this makes my dysgraphia worse( I think). I have been wanting to find solutions to these problems especially when writing stories ( my English for communication is decent but not for long stories which is I have some trouble spots in grammar). I realize it is not obvious and I can't seek help or find it in my area. I have a assistive technology program called claroread pro. No one in my family is willing to read my work. I live in a Spanish as a first language speaking country. There is almost no autism support network in my country for English speech therapy, nor is the specialty care up to date. Besides assistive technology, which was the cheapest I could buy, I do buy and study a lot of grammar books and style books on creative writing. My aim or goals, are to write short stories and eventually a novel. I am obsessive sometimes when I want to achieve what I want with fiction. I have decided to join an autism forum to receive help on writing and reciprocate. My complete diagnosis I don't feel comfortable revealing but people should be nicer on the Internet. I was hoping to use whatever advice people give me. Maybe even establish a reader beta reader group if allowed, and get to writing with people who have the same problems such as me. I know it has been difficult for me. I hope to succeed like others that have proven wrong cynical people. There are many authors who have autism and have written works published. To clarify, mybiggest problems have to do with composition, style, sometimes typos in large narrative texts, and connecting ideas or action from one sentence to another. Non-sequinters are something for example I can struggle with but I have improved with practicing writing. I have joined different communities for hobbies. I have had misfortune by finding people who do no like autistic people. For those reading this despite all my problems I have two stories published by generous editors who edited my work. I appreciate any responses. Thank you for reading this. Any comments made will be read and I will appreciate any good and wise insights or recommendations such as a treatment plan or useful books or what people of this forum have to say. Or any help in regards to reading my stories as I have no one to read these.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 8:49 am

"My complete diagnosis I don't feel comfortable revealing but people should be nicer on the Internet."

No. People will tear you to shreds on the internet.
While I have written a novel, (unpublished and needs editing still, for a number of years now) I am not interested in helping you out at this point in time. I think you might do better if you join a writing forum, granted if you find an autistic whose interest is in helping other people write better, that's going to be your best help.

Poor motivation

Prisonerinsidethecomputer1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 May 2015, 11:38 am

Firstly, I have been to more than one writing forum before, and when I revealed my diagnosis that which you did say, did happen. I do think though the goal of finding an autistic person who might be high functioning or whose needs are not for editing I might be able to help. I am decent, and working my way up. I have read over 20 books. I have been trying to apply what I know and I could be a honest peer reviewer. However the beta reader needs to make a list of questions. I could offer advice on description, setting, and other story elements. Like I said I have good ideas, I just need to hand a person a checklist to know what I am asking for. Hopefully, there is someone out there in a similar situation. Thank you for at least commenting and your thoughts. A novel is a difficult and interesting undertaking but I think I haven't tried because of language issues.