Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2015, 9:18 pm

I'm wanting to quit smoking, I'm not going to be one of those people that claims to not be addicted, but I know for me it is more than that, it allows me an out when I'm feeling overwhelmed, it gives me something to do with my hands without seeming odd, but it is just costing to much money, at a pack a day its over $200 a week in Australia and I'd really like to put that money towards something useful. I really don't want to fail, but I'm not sure how to give myself the best chance at sticking with it, as lots of things overwhelm me.

Any Success Stories? Things to avoid? Tips?

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 11:15 pm

I have had good experiences with patches.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 11:30 pm

Can you get e-cigs in Australia? That might be something to consider.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 11:49 pm

my mom quit with chantix (varenicline). i also know someone who smoked 19 cigarettes a day for a week, then 18 the next week, and so on until they were at 0.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 12:04 pm

Maybe, vaping? I just spoke to a guy the other day, that said one 5-dollar bottle lasted him about 2 weeks!!

http://www.vaporbeast.com/new-to-vaping

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2015, 6:12 pm

I actually started to cut back, but rather quickly. I had a smoke last night at around 7pm, (didn't get to sleep until around 1am) and didn't have another until 9am this morning, and hoping to increase the time between then.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 7:36 pm

The patches worked best for me, because it was steadier than other methods. I'm not good at self regulation. :mrgreen:

Chelsie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2015, 7:56 pm

What worked for my dad is going the cold turkey. It showed how much hardwork he put into it and I saw how difficult it is for him considering the withdrawal symptoms he showed.

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2015, 12:21 am

Well it's been almost 24 hours without a cigarette, and I feel like crap... Stimming a lot more, I feel generally agitated, everything stinks, I can't concentrate or sit still.

I'm feeling determined to stick with it, I knew it would be tough, but I should at least have the strength to not buy a packet and hopefully I have gotten rid of all of them.

I am worried I may do something to upset my g/f while feeling this way, any advice?

She knows I am quitting and said she understands if I get agitated and she won't take it to heart, but I would rather not if I can avoid it.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 7:33 am

as some one who is completely addicted
and has no one to think of or guit for
I would suggest that you look at that other reason to be in your life
and think about how important she is
and how she is the rest of your life

She knows I am quitting and said she understands if I get agitated and she won't take it to heart, but I would rather not if I can avoid it.

Another 24 hours
then another 24 hours
then another 24 hours
then its the rest of your life resisting it

keep your eye on the prize!

Love, life and family

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 3:04 pm

I'm not a smoker, but lozenges can also help with quitting. However, most lozenges are just as expensive as gum and/or patches, whatever you can find.

Good luck quitting! :)

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 3:35 pm

UnturnedStone wrote:
...any advice?

My experience has been that the "feeling like crap" part lasts for several days, and must simply be gutted through. Sometimes replacement items help a bit (e.g. Lozenges, etc.). Also I was very short-tempered during that time. I would try to limit interacting with other people until the worst has passed. Even going to the store could set me off. Best wishes!