I just bought 'The Definitive Book of Body Language' book.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2005, 2:10 am

howdy again,
since im having cervix surgery tomorrow, they said i should bring some reading material. so due to my social workers 'demands' and my interest in learning about trying to read ANY type of body language, i bought the body language book written by the aussie authors Allan and Barbara Pease. i wont be bored -this book has lotsa piccies we can relate to, and its an easy read - i suggest you all get it so we can pretend to be like CIA agents when talking to pple (ie we can see if they can lie or whatever lol) k byes :lol: 8) :roll:

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2005, 2:37 am

hello,
I hope your operation will be allright.
The book sounds interesting.
But I wonder: is body language the same for everybody on Earth? I mean, for exemple, is it the same for a British, a Nigerian and a Japanese?

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2005, 2:56 am

thanks!

Quote:
But I wonder: is body language the same for everybody on Earth? I mean, for exemple, is it the same for a British, a Nigerian and a Japanese?
ummm well some of them are the same, and the ones that are not are cause of traditional culture customs to each type of society - so something to english pple might mean a totally different thing to another culture. this book has 19 chapters, 379 pages of joy!! go gets it

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2005, 6:13 am

I think the basics of body language are the same universally, but can vary from culture to culture in small ways. Maybe it's just the way the body language is applied as social rules, actually.

For example, in some countries people prefer to stand close to eachother, and touch eachother a lot, and it is considered friendly to be this way, and rude not to. In America, people tend to keep more distance, and touching, especially between men, is seen as "sexual" (even if it really isn't). So an American might be thought of as cold or rude in other cultures (like Portuguese, for example), and a Portuguese person may seem too forceful or even sexualized in American culture.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2005, 10:34 am

So that explains why so many europeans come accross as being homosexual! (Seriously)

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2005, 2:54 pm

In continental Europe, it is considered normal for a man to sit with his legs crossed, but in the UK, a man sitting like this would appear camp. Is that the kind of thing you mean, Sean?

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2005, 7:45 pm

Tally wrote:
Is that the kind of thing you mean, Sean?

It's not just the Europeans. It's quite common to see Chinese people holding hands or linking arms with their same-gender friends when they're walking. I think it probably started as a coping mechanism to avoid getting separated from each other when the sidewalks are completely packed with people.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2005, 3:44 am

Oi. I sit w my legs semi crossed.......... not fully. But semi. Most guys here in manchester do.

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2005, 4:05 am

hi guys, sorry to change subject, but my cervix surgery went VERY successfully today! i had no pain, the anaesthetic wore off pretty quick, i didnt get sick from it, and wow i feel DAMN great!! i wasn't scared one little bit at all! this is quite strange. if i had this operation 2 years ago however, i would be scared of every little thing! its amazing how far ive come healthwise since being in the psych ward 2x in 6 months.. k bye guys im celebrating by eating junk foooooooooood!! ! :lol: 8) :P :wink: 8O

Morlock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2005, 10:40 pm

use more emoticons!! ! :D :?: :wink: :cry: :P :x :evil: 8) :o :?: :!: :?: :!: 8O :? :lol: :D :oops:

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2005, 12:34 am

PMSL, morlock!

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2005, 12:44 am

smartarses! i like smileys

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2005, 1:01 am

Somehow I managed to learn to to be a human polygraph machine without learning the basics of body language.

p.s.

Kitkatsavy,
Just out of curiosity, are you always so open about everything going on in your life?

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2005, 1:34 am

Quote:
Kitkatsavy,
Just out of curiosity, are you always so open about everything going on in your life?
hey im not open about EVERYTHING! anyways i just want my friends online to know that an operation isnt so scary as everyone makes it! i have a whole website dedicated to myself (well my mind when i went nutty).. hey its my way of educating everyone - believe me - you won't know EVERY little thing about me! that is reserved for my best friend, twin sister and my bf!! ever since i went into the psych ward, i instantly got out of my 20yr old shell that i had been hiding in! even my mum said i only started talking when i was 20 - which is totally true!! (dammit was gonna say something else but i damn well FORGOT aah crap!) :roll: :lol: 8O

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2005, 1:44 am

Though you have reletively few posts here (though they tend to stick out for some reason), you mention that psych ward alot. How did they facilitate such a rapid change?

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2005, 2:13 am

hey thanks for complimenting my writing style! i think its the way in which i write a post or an article - people have said to me that my writing style is exciting (just read my psychosis article for an example!) i think this is due to my simple mind - ie i get amused by very small things and i make them more exciting than they deserve to be!

anyways, yes you have also picked up that i do tend to talk about the psych ward heaps! it changed my life SOOO much that i talk to people either before the ward period or after the ward period! i mean if a place can convert a really quiet shy girl who has been shielded from bad to be a totally open loudmouth who speaks her mind and who isnt afraid of anyone! well well! i think the psych ward deserves lots of mentions in my post! that place just TOTally changed me - mainly due to the fact that the types of people in there were the ones i was shielded from - druggos, pple cutting themselves up, criminals, drug dealers all 'baaaad' people like taht... as i say for me -

Quote:
LIFE BEGINS AT 20 - not 40!! !! !
:twisted: :P 8O :lol: