Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mindblender
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2015, 4:43 pm

Hello,

I am taking Ritalin to treat ADHD, but it's not working, no matter the dose. It seems this may be due to my Asperger's. Do you know which medications work to treat ADHD when you have Asperger's?
Thank you,

anemiccinema
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2015, 2:06 am

Obviously this is a very complex issue and different things work for different people, but the best stimulant I've used is Dexedrine (generic is dextroamphetamine). I take the spansules, which is somewhere between instant release and extended release--they last about 4 hours, give or take. I can only describe it as a more subtle Adderall. Helps me to focus, organize my day, and weirdly even makes it easier for me to socialize. However I find it easier to eat and to fall asleep at night compared to Adderall. It's a somewhat obscure medication though, my psychiatrist has only ever prescribed it to me, and the pharmacy always has to order it for me.

Ultimately the most important thing is to find a doctor that's willing to try you out on different medications. I went through 4 or 5 others before settling on the Dexedrine.

Mindblender
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2015, 3:54 am

Thanks for the information. I'll mention this medication to my physician next time.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 9:49 am

I've been on most of the stimulants and it's only half good.

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 9:54 am

I don't have any comorbids and have never been told of a medication that works for just ASD (not that I would ever take it anyway)- so the trick is really finding a medication that works for ADHD, but does not make ASD symptoms or effects worse- which really is going to be about trial and error. So really, focus on ADHD medications and see which works for you.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 10:02 am

I take adderall. It's a lot stronger than Ritalin.

It *is* a double-edge sword though with ASD. I don't think I actually have issues focussing at all, rather changing focus.

However, I've taken stimulants for most of my life. I think I'm helplessly dependent on them now. :(

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 May 2015, 10:29 pm

You could try Strattera. It's the only nonstimulant med for ADHD so the risk of adverse effects may be a lot lower.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mindblender
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2015, 2:30 am

Thanks. It's not available in my country :(