Page 484 of 577 [ 9220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487 ... 577  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 12:20 am

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 6:39 pm

I wish people would stop getting covid. Wear a mask, sanitise your hands, and don't get too close to too many people unless you know they've been tested in the last couple of days. It's that simple. I know it doesn't prevent the virus being passed on completely but it will still help reduce the spreading.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 10:10 am

So now I have tinnitus. Great. This year wasn't bad enough already.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 10:53 am

I have no idea why my friend keeps mentioning she likes smart people and can't get along with people not on her level of intelligence. I can't help but feel like asking "then why are you friends with me?" I did so many dumb things in her presence, does she really think i am intelligent? I can't understand people.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 3:41 pm

The guy who decides the definition of "empathy"...

So, empathy-defining guy, what is empathy?

Empathy, my friend, is the ability to understand other people, put yourself in their shoes and be mindful about their feelings even if they're different from your's.

Oh, I see, how many neurotypicals are actually capable of this?

They all are, it's a neurotypical trait. If you're autistic, you lack this ability.

Right, OK, well I'm autistic but I can feel other people's emotions and understand their emotional states.

What are you, stupid? That's not empathy, that's compassion!

Then what is empathy?

Feeling other people's emotions and understanding their emotional states. I've just told you.

Right, well in my experience it seems that people lack this ability to understand me as an autistic.

That doesn't mean they lack empathy, stupid! A neurotypical can naturally feel empathy for all walks of life except for autistic people, because you're just too different for them to understand, which makes it OK for them to not understand you.

Well I don't think I'm that different, I mean I'm still just as human as they are and I have thoughts and feelings too.

Yes, but you have thoughts and feelings for the wrong things. You can't expect neurotypicals to empathise with that. Oh, but you must empathise with neurotypicals, otherwise you'll be lacking empathy.

Right, well what about people that aren't neurotypical nor autistic?

You must empathise with them too.

No I meant can neurotypicals empathise with non-autistic people with other neurodevelopmental disorders that have challenges most neurotypicals don't?

You're complicating things, you imbecile! You can't put different neurodiversities into different groups, otherwise things will just get confusing. So to simplify things, you must just split autistics and non-autistics up, and all the people without an ASD are neurotypical even if they're not typically wired. Ha!

But what if a person on the high-functioning end of the spectrum is married and in a steady job and is able to take care of themselves, and a non-autistic person has severe intellectual disabilities and will never be able to work or marry and will need 24 care all their lives? Is the latter still neurotypical?

Yes, precisely! They may not be able to ever talk but they are more able than an autistic person to read body language, so that makes them neurotypical. You can't read body language for s**t, so that makes you neuroatypical.

Well actually I don't find reading body language unnatural or challenging, I think a person with severe intellectual disabilities is more socially vulnerable than I ever will be.

Wrong! Are you high? You can't be autistic yet be more socially aware than a neurotypical with severe intellectual disabilities! That's like putting the cart before the horse, you idiot!

What?

Ah, now you not understanding what I'm telling you is classic evidence that you lack empathy.

What???

This is basically how debates often end up when empathy gets brought up on WP.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 2:46 pm

Autistic people struggle with empathy but they don't necessarily lack the ability completely. It's just a hard thing to utilise for us.

I can empathise deeply in quiet, calming surroundings, but lose the ability in sensory-overloading environments.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 10:46 am

I have no explanation to give anyone who looks at me like a ret*d. Why should i give you an explanation, even my psychiatrist didn't explain anything to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 11:05 am

Just ignore those people.

I used to think I looked like a retard----until I stopped believing that people who looked at me thought I was a ret*d.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 11:14 am

^ It's not that i care about being treated like a ret*d, but they are my coworkers and i feel like people expect an explanation to how someone who manages to find a job in a respectable company can be so "underdeveloped" in some areas.

I don't know if i can say" i am worthy of this job, you can trust me" because i don't know my capability level. My therapist says my intelligence is normal, but i don't think even she is educated enough to understand how autistic people's minds work. That's why i am sick and tired of people looking at me like "why are you here?"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 11:16 am

^Then show these people why you're qualified for the job.

You wouldn't have gotten hired if you weren't qualified. It's not like you know the president of the company or something....

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 11:22 am

^No, but its really not that hard to get hired here in my occupation. They probably hired me bc my english is very good and most people here don't speak a second language.
It is not that hard to show a more intelligent and put together persona in job interviews. I feel like i deceived everyone but everyone tells me to actually put up an act at job interviews. I am so confused.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 11:24 am

^If you got a law degree, you're pretty smart.

The easiest way to go about this is to just do what they ask you to do.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 11:28 am

^ But compared to other countries, it is very easy to get that here.

Sorry kraftie, i don't mean to be argumentative it is just i am genuinely not sure if am qualified for this job and don't want to deceive people.
I guess i will try to the best of my ability and see how it goes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 11:33 am

^That's all you can do.

My personal feeling is that you are more "qualified" than you think you are.

It's not easy to get a law degree in your country. It's harder to get into university in your country than it is in my country.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 11:45 am

Really? I thought in the States you have to pass a lot of interviews and have super social skills/networking and such.

Here, we only have to pass a test that is easy for someone who has a good memory.

Anyway, i hope you are right and i am qualified. I am so scared of unknowingly deceiving people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2021, 11:48 am

It's difficult to get into law school in the US----but not difficult to get into university.

Basically, all you have to do to get into university is graduate high school, or get an equivalency diploma.

I know, in your country, it's not easy even to get into an academic-type, university-bound secondary school.