Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 9:54 am

Due to months of depression everything has become filthy and I honestly don't know where to start. Can someone please help me organize this mess.

1. I am filthy but I can't bathe because all my towels are dirty.

2. All my clothes are dirty too.

3. There is a lot of trash on the porch which makes my neighbors upset.

4. My neighbors being upset at me makes me too nervous to go outside to clean up where they can see me.

5. There is trash strewn all over the house but I only have a few garbage bags.

6. I can't go to the store to buy more garbage bags because I'm filthy and wearing dirty clothes.

7. There is dog poop and pee in the living room and it's stuck to the floor. It will take more than a little time and effort to soak it off the floor. For this reason I refuse to have any visitors.

8. Every bit of clean clothing I have is now too small for me because I've gained weight by not going outside at all.

9. The too-small clean clothing is taking up every laundry basket so I don't have an empty basket to do my laundry.

10. All my dishes are dirty.

11. There's no food left and I can't go grocery shopping due to having no clean clothes to wear.

12. The grass needs mowing but the physical effort exhausts me so I can't do anything else for an hour or two if I mow it. I'm also worried that the neighbors will be upset at me about my grass so I'm afraid of going outside.

13. There is trash strewn throughout the yard so I can't mow the grass, and only a few garbage bags left so not sure if I should go ahead and pick it up before the trash in the house.

14. The bathroom is dirty and disgusting so I don't want to shower in there.

I start off thinking I should fold away the clean but too-small laundry so I'll have an empty laundry basket to wash my dirty clothes and towels, but then I think of the dog poop in the living room and feel like I should do that first. In fact I have gotten so confused and overwhelmed that I don't know where to begin or how to proceed. Therefore I just give up thinking about it and go immerse myself in playing computer games. Where do I even begin?????

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2015, 10:22 am

pretty much been through all of this myself. I have a towel that I haven't washed in months but I still use it anyway when I shower. Do you have a washing machine or do you need to go out to wash your laundry?

I would focus on the laundry first. Just do barely enough to have one set of clothing to wear. and maybe ignore how dirty the shower is and do that at the same time you do the laundry if possible.

When I was in the worst part of my depression 2 years ago I pretty much looked like a hobo when I went to the laundromat because by that time I was totally filthy and had no clean clothing at all left. Some things only got done because some concerned people from church found out how bad things were and decided to help a little. but 99% of the time I did not have the will to take care of myself and only the bare minimum got done when it was too bad to ignore anymore. If I didn't have my Dog to take care of even that would not have gotten done.

I would start with the clothes though so you can get out of there for a while. You really need to get out of there.

bearded1
Raven
Raven

22 May 2015, 10:25 am

I would say:
wash clothes and towels
take a bath
pickup the trash and dog poop
take the trash out
mow the yard

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 10:31 am

I do have a washer and dryer in the house. The washer was broken for a few months because I couldn't have anyone in to fix it while the house was so disgusting, but I swallowed my pride recently and did get it fixed. The repair guy staring at the mess was of course mortifying.

I am carrying a load of towels and clothes that fit me to do a load of laundry right now. I am carrying it in my arms because all the laundry baskets are full of clean clothes which no longer fit me.

Thank you for your help Betzalel I do appreciate it. I do look like a hobo right now too.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 11:01 am

11:54 am

1. I have taken one load of towels and clothes that do fit me and put them in the washing machine and turned it on. It's going to take approx. two hours to wash and dry this load.

2. Next I picked up all the dog poop in the living room using an old plastic spatula which my dog chewed up and rendered useless. I put the bag of poop just outside my door waiting to be taken to the shed.

3. I am now going to brush my teeth and take a quick shower. I won't shave or do anything extra besides just clean myself.

When I return triumphant I will be ready for the next steps anyone can recommend.

Luckily I am not a hoarder, if anything I'm an anti-hoarder and throw everything away. Besides the trash and sticky grime and dust, there is almost nothing in the house that doesn't strictly belong here. Thank goodness.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 12:13 pm

4. Put the washed laundry in the dryer, and found a towel in the laundry room that was not too dirty.

5. Took a quick shower in the filthy disgusting bathroom and brushed my teeth. Put on a bathrobe because all my clothes are either dirty or in the dryer.

6. Fed and watered the dog. Brushed the dog. Rubbed the dog's tummy. Played tug-o-war with the dog. Please don't worry that I have been neglecting the dog because in fact the dog is the only one who has been getting taken care of around here.

7. Washed one of: plate, fork, knife, bowl, spoon, cup and one pot.

8. Made egg salad sandwich for lunch on clean dishes. 8)

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2015, 12:32 pm

Cool. I think what I would do next is find something to do outside the house for a while that you might enjoy at least as soon as the clothes are dry and ready to put on anyway :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 2:20 pm

I'm proud of you, Molly!

You took the bull by the horns, and you solved your problem!

That's what I have to do sometimes!