Why do people care so much about my glasses?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 5:47 pm

By people I mean IEP/disability people. When I was in middle school they mentioned in my IEP that I wear glasses for reading. That has nothing to do with my ADHD/Asperger's/whatever you want to call it. I'm just farsighted. Nothing that special.

When I was applying for disability they mentioned my glasses again. This time they said my left eye was visually impaired! It's not. It just has a stronger prescription. I really don't understand why my glasses are something worth mentioning.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 6:52 pm

Because poor vision becomes a disability at some point.

Poor motivation

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 7:00 pm

cavernio wrote:
Because poor vision becomes a disability at some point.

I don't even have poor vision. I just have a slightly unusual prescription.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 8:53 pm

Who knows. It's probably just standard protocol.

I agree, though, it seems weird to mention it.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2015, 9:02 pm

I know nothing about how the process works or even what an IEP is (yes I could go look it up :P), however, how you see the world may relate to how you perceive the world and then interpret it?

... just did a quick Google relating to sight and there's a whole host of more specific stuff related to the different aspects of it all... SoI'd say feel OK about them noting it.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 9:32 pm

rarebit wrote:
I know nothing about how the process works or even what an IEP is (yes I could go look it up :P), however, how you see the world may relate to how you perceive the world and then interpret it?

... just did a quick Google relating to sight and there's a whole host of more specific stuff related to the different aspects of it all... SoI'd say feel OK about them noting it.

An IEP is an individualized education plan. It mainly deals with disabilities. I don't think my glasses are a disability.

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2015, 10:30 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
An IEP is an individualized education plan. It mainly deals with disabilities. I don't think my glasses are a disability.

If its an individualised education plan then it doesn't sound specifically about disabilities, Also the glasses are probably for an "impairment" and an influencing factor to your education. e.g. does it affect your ability to do certain activities like swimming without other provision, can one read a book if no glasses, what if someone claims they can't but in reality doesn't need glasses... the list goes on, and that's half the point, but the fact you do require glasses in certain situations is a factor which may need to be considered!

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 11:36 pm

rarebit wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

If its an individualised education plan then it doesn't sound specifically about disabilities, Also the glasses are probably for an "impairment" and an influencing factor to your education. e.g. does it affect your ability to do certain activities like swimming without other provision, can one read a book if no glasses, what if someone claims they can't but in reality doesn't need glasses... the list goes on, and that's half the point, but the fact you do require glasses in certain situations is a factor which may need to be considered!

I technically can read and go to the pool without glasses. They're mostly for eyestrain. I didn't even wear them that much when I was in school. Mainly because I was embarrassed about them and my prescription was constantly messed up. I'm done with the IEP stuff anyways.
I don't understand why my eyesight is relevant to my disability. My bad executive functioning and diagnosis is relevant, but I don't think my farsightedness is relevant.

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2015, 5:42 am

DevilKisses wrote:
I technically can read and go to the pool without glasses. They're mostly for eyestrain. I didn't even wear them that much when I was in school. Mainly because I was embarrassed about them and my prescription was constantly messed up. I'm done with the IEP stuff anyways.
I don't understand why my eyesight is relevant to my disability. My bad executive functioning and diagnosis is relevant, but I don't think my farsightedness is relevant.

Maybe you can, so can I, however others may not and the powers that be have decided that noting the use of spectacles is warranted...!?

As stated before, what you mentioned isn't related to your disability alone but rather an education plan. That IEP is also probably used for others who don't have issues. I have to fill forms in all the time and there's always questions on them which mean nothing to me.

Has anyone actually linked your glasses to your condition or is it just a footnote on this (diagnosticly) unrelated IEP form?

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 11:50 pm

Perhaps because they will help pay for them since they feel you need them. A good problem to have I think.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 2:30 am

rapidroy wrote:
Perhaps because they will help pay for them since they feel you need them. A good problem to have I think.

I think that's just a default thing for people on disability. I don't think I need glasses more than the average glasses wearer. Maybe they keep obsessing about it because it's an on and off special interest for me. Even before I wore glasses.