Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 3:23 pm

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

alex
Developer
Developer

25 May 2015, 3:36 pm

It is a holiday weekend so sorry for the delayed response in dealing with this.

AutumnSylver
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2015, 3:43 pm

Earlier today, I tried to view the forum on my phone, and it said I was permanently banned for spamming. I'm on my computer now, and it's working fine. Either it was a mistake, or it was fixed. If I was actually banned for spamming, some spammers must have spoofed my IP address. I have never spammed in my life.
Plus, I was sick on the weekend, and I haven't been on the forum in 2 or 3 days.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 3:54 pm

It's really frightening. Maybe it a bunch of terrorists who think people with Autism are worthless and sub-human and therefor must be killed, and eventually they're going to force us into poison gas chambers or use us as human test subjects in experiments like Hitler did with Jewish people in WW2.

But I don't know since I can't read Korean. I only have to assume it's bad since they want to nuke the US, and if they do Canada and everyone else can look forward to a slow, horrible death. :(

alex
Developer
Developer

25 May 2015, 3:59 pm

The spam is just links to useless websites that no one wants to go to.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 4:41 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
It's really frightening. Maybe it a bunch of terrorists who think people with Autism are worthless and sub-human and therefor must be killed, and eventually they're going to force us into poison gas chambers or use us as human test subjects in experiments like Hitler did with Jewish people in WW2.

But I don't know since I can't read Korean. I only have to assume it's bad since they want to nuke the US, and if they do Canada and everyone else can look forward to a slow, horrible death. :(

Helluvan imagination you've got there.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 5:04 pm

What I don't understand about spamming (and maybe someone can explain it to me) is why they post it over and over. Wouldn't they get more views on the website they're promoting if it wasn't so obvious that it was spam? I understand that increasing the number of links there are increases the number of people who might see it, but if you're just posting it over and over on the same website, then everyone who can see post #1 also sees post #2. So that wouldn't significantly increase the number of people who see it, but it will significantly increase the number who realise it's spam...

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 5:18 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
What I don't understand about spamming (and maybe someone can explain it to me) is why they post it over and over. Wouldn't they get more views on the website they're promoting if it wasn't so obvious that it was spam? I understand that increasing the number of links there are increases the number of people who might see it, but if you're just posting it over and over on the same website, then everyone who can see post #1 also sees post #2. So that wouldn't significantly increase the number of people who see it, but it will significantly increase the number who realise it's spam...

The only thing I can think about is that mass-spamming of links to their websites would also increase their ranking in search engines.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 7:11 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

If they think we are worthless why waste time and energy spamming us? It is just another form of trolling to me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 8:18 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If they think we are worthless why waste time and energy spamming us? It is just another form of trolling to me.

They spam us because they care.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 8:20 pm

EzraS wrote:
I figure whoever is doing it will get tired of it eventually. I wonder if it's a disgruntled or banned member getting revenge. But it's not that hard to overlook it and post as usual. Lot of wasted effort on their part.

It's a bot, as long as there's electricity going to the computer(s) running said bot it won't tire.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 8:34 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
They spam us because they care.

Someone should put this on a greeting card.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 11:22 pm

Did the spam show up today?
I missed the usual spam time while driving from SD to LA.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 11:34 pm

Doesn't look state sponsored to me. If it is, it's probably a low rent collective that weaseled its' way to sponsorship as opposed to anything more. It's scatter-shot, incoherent and inconsistent. I find it more likely that this is a smaller Chinese collective doing a rather shoddy job of trying to set up a botnet, hence the alphanumeric URLs of various lengths.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 11:36 pm

boredome wrote:
I think that the spam is interesting. It's funny watching computers trying to behave like human beings.

Data is beautiful. Especially when it doesn't have an immediately obvious meaning

Exactly, this is why my best guess is that this could be Mandarin transliterated to Korean. As Alex said they're most likely just trying to drum up hits for completely irrelevant sites; if they are up to anything more nefarious, they probably used the wrong encodings & character sets.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: