Page 8 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 10:39 am

nerdygirl wrote:
It was just in the news this week that females in an endangered species of shark were found to have produced offspring without mating. Hmmmmm....

I wonder what might cause that, especially in an endangered species. Hmmmmmm.....

The cells must just have woken up one day and said "Quick! We've got to find a way to propagate the species. You, from one shark, and you from another shark, do it NOW! And get it right, for Pete's sake - we can't afford to fail!"

:wink:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081010173054.htm

Quote:
The phenomenon of “virgin birth” occurs when a baby is conceived without male sperm having first fertilized the female’s eggs, and has been proven in some bony fish, amphibians, reptiles, and birds. In the type of parthenogenesis seen in these sharks, known as automictic parthenogenesis, the newly forming pup acquires one set of chromosomes when the mother's chromosomes split during egg development. But instead of uniting with similarly split chromosomes from sperm, as occurs in sexual reproduction, the mother’s set is paired with a copy of itself. This results in offspring of reduced genetic diversity who may be at a disadvantage for surviving in the wild.

“The finding of parthenogenesis in blacktip sharks, which are close relatives of some of the larger predatory sharks in the ocean including the tiger, bull and dusky sharks, raises intriguing questions about how frequently parthenogenesis may occur in the wild in this group of heavily fished sharks,” said Shivji. “It is possible that parthenogenesis could become more common in these sharks if population densities become so low that females have trouble finding mates.” Populations of all of these sharks have declined in the past twenty years due to overexploitation, mainly to supply the shark fin markets.

So what triggers it? That's a good question and the article doesn't go into detail. It just cites reduced population density as a trigger. The answer is probably buried in the professional literature but I'm not going to dedicate 3 google hours to find it. It's possible that the lack of pregnancy hormones for X amount of time is a trigger but again....3 google hours. Not gonna.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 10:43 am

Considering that I do not know these people personally I have no way of knowing if they were paid actors or not.

Janissy wrote:
9/11 may have been a TV event for you but for everyone who was in Manhattan right then, the planes going into the buildings was something they actually saw.

Or do you think the people of New York were in on a conspiracy?

I have seen plenty of evidence that there are such things as actors who are paid to act out dramas.

This thread now needs a "Vladimir Putin makes American-politicians react to prevent exposing 9/11 proof" video...

I have no doubt that those buildings were most-certainly destroyed but some of us "Crazy Conspiracy-Theorists"™ have been coming or reaching towards a conclusion that it may not necessarily have been planes or even explosives or even nano-thermite causing their destruction but something more sinister... molecular-disassociation (from something like a satellite laser-disintegration-weapon).

From my perspective, yes, the buildings were factually destroyed, and it was due to terrorists, but the terrorists aren't the so-called Muslims, but a sinister race of aliens who have infiltrated & control every government on the planet who were the terrorists, who have much better psychotronic-weaponry & technology to be able to fool every human on the planet into argumentum ad-infinitum about the "official" story being true/accurate or not. I should probably add a short clip that describes psychotronics in a little detail...

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 11:22 am

Yes. The End.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:30 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
It seems like they are and regardless of the proof of evolution shown before them as well as actual geologic evidence as well as modern scientific dating methods presented to them they deny it even though its true!

Some are stupid...ALL have been deceived.

Almost all YEC have been deceived by their church, taught by a man who has also been deceived by the church and so and so on.

Most YEC have never read a complete explanation of why they are wrong. They are taught that WE are deceived and that we and Satan are trying to deceive them by telling them about Science.

Now, there are YEC's who have extensively read about Science and choose to believe YEC BS, but most are ignorant and deceived.

Pity them...don't despise them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:38 pm

slave wrote:
Pity them...don't despise them.

I would despise them if they tried to lord it over me.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:48 pm

Creationists are not stupid. On the contrary some are very smart. But what they are is very dangerous because when you take away from humans, the right to question and reason the state of the world, you allow dangerous individuals to control your life which eventually leads to a dictatorship which is what has been happening in Russia and the Middle East.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 7:43 pm

the problem is, they tend to concentrate in one particular political party and have undue influence in that party, to its and our [as a nation] detriment.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 9:45 pm

They seem stupid at least to me since they reject scientific facts and cling hardly to beliefs and are desperate to find ways to trying to keep their strawmen from burning down! Bill Nye Destroyed Ken Ham in the debate with the Noahs flood yet they cling to try to save their sinking ship that has many many holes!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 12:51 am

Stupid is a measure of intelligence.

Even smart people sometimes believe things that are demonstrably untrue - this is called delusion.

However, the venn diagram of stupid people and young earth creationists is unflattering.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 12:59 am

it could be said they can't handle reality undiluted, they have to have theirs watered-down.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 1:04 am

No.
But to be fair no theory of evolution has never been proven fully and soundly beyond just being a theory.

People tend to forget there are multiple scientific theories on how the Earth came to be and where life comes from, not one has been proven as a cold hard fact yet...

There are also numerous theories of evolution and numerous theories of human evolution, which none, after 100+ years has been proven completely and successfully as fact!

This is why we call it them THEORIES not FACTS.

Darwin's partner and co-author on their paper of human evolution, had a falling out with Darwin over their views on it and life.
Darwin's partner believed that evolution couldn't account for everything, and he believed there was other forces at work that may or may not be guided by external agent(s).

Darwin went out of his way to have his former partner discredited at all costs and to be barred from the science conferences and media.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 1:06 am

^^^
fascinating... :chin:

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 1:20 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
fascinating... :chin:

It is!
Even the Big Bang theory is unraveling as new better theory gains steam.

XJ220RACER
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2015, 1:41 am

I don't know which is worse, misinterpreting Genesis or how this country's popular discourse on science has been reduced to ridiculing that idea, and in doing so further reinforcing the misinterpretation. Bill Nye, Neil Tyson, and everyone else who thinks that YEC is just so unacceptable are playing the game, falling for the trap, and clearly more interested in propaganda than science.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 2:15 am

xenocity wrote:
No.
But to be fair no theory of evolution has never been proven fully and soundly beyond just being a theory.

People tend to forget there are multiple scientific theories on how the Earth came to be and where life comes from, not one has been proven as a cold hard fact yet...

There are also numerous theories of evolution and numerous theories of human evolution, which none, after 100+ years has been proven completely and successfully as fact!

Darwin's partner and co-author on their paper of human evolution, had a falling out with Darwin over their views on it and life.
Darwin's partner believed that evolution couldn't account for everything, and he believed there was other forces at work that may or may not be guided by external agent(s).

Darwin went out of his way to have his former partner discredited at all costs and to be barred from the science conferences and media.

But even so, that doesn't disprove evolution.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 4:48 am

...just couldn't help myself but to ask some questions of an Artificial-Intelligence.

Me : « Are Young Earth Creationist Stupid? »
Clever-Bot: « What's a creationist? »

Kraichgauer wrote:
xenocity wrote:
No.

But even so, that doesn't disprove evolution.

Me : « Is evolution more of a fact or a theory ? »
Clever-Bot: « Evolution is a theory. »
Me : « What is the actual age of the earth ? »
Clever-Bot: « The actual truth is we need to be friends forever. »

I just KNOW that y'all peep-holes just WANT more conversation from Clever-Bot ! :wink: