Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 12:26 am

What are your favourite books involving autism? They can be fiction or nonfiction. A few of my favourites include Beverly Brenna's Wild Orchid trilogy, The Very Ordered Existence of Merilee Marvelous by Suzanne Crowley, and Reign Rain by Ann M. Martin. I've found that I particularly enjoy first person fictional accounts from autistic characters. I'm trying to write my own story in a similar vein right now.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 1:34 am

I just finished Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate a couple of days ago. It was informative and thought-provoking. Definitely my favorite non-academic book on autism so far.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 11:38 am

There are 8 books in total.

I believe every business, home, doctors office, dentist office, therapists office...just every active building....should have this series. It's very easy to read, and it has a letter each time from the author and a story about the inspiration from the book from the author.

Sadly...the last couple of books are "unfinished"...because the author died before they were fully completed...so the publisher published them as is.

It was also turned into an 11 episode series in Japan. However, it has not been translated and brought across to America or anywhere else really. But it can be found on Youtube with subtitles.... Hikari To Tomo Ni

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

TheLittleBird
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2015, 11:50 am

I liked Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine. It was refreshing to find a book about which I could say "Yes! Yes! That's what it feels like. That's how I think." Or used to think, anyway, at that age. The main character has Asperger's.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 3:16 pm

"The Rosie Project" by Graeme Simsion. "A serious reflection on our need for companionship and identity.. an enduring funny book.." A warm and charming book on one man's search for love, where the protagonist is a HFA university professor, how despite doing all the wrong things he eventually recognises how to love and be loved.
Five stars.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 3:39 pm

I usually don't like autism parenting memoirs but I liked George and Sam by Charlotte Moore.
I really liked Engaging Autism by Stanley Greenspan too. It's more of a "how-to" guide focusing on children though.
On a similar vein, The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun is a good one.

I always thought Meg's little brother Charles Wallace, in A Wrinkle In Time, seemed a bit autistic-like and I liked that series. It is not about autism though.