Does extremely abusive and refrigerator parents cause ASD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Snow_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2015, 1:57 am

(English isn't my first language ,hopefully you folks don't view my English as some verbal problem)

My mother is extremely abusive,she often say she hate crying babies when she see a cry baby.She can't hiding her disgust toward a cry baby even in public.
In my earliest memory(3 to 6 years old),my mother always to hit me and blame me when I cry or want emotion support.I don't have memory earlier then 3 years old ,but I have marking on skin cause by bruises before I am 3.My mother claim it's cause by "I hit something else by myself",but I don't trust her now,she often lies to me.She is seriously abused by her stepmother and father.
My father is very "refrigerator",after he married my mother ,he don't have any communication with my mother in 3 years (they are arranged marriage),the reason is they don't live in a same city.His emotion communication is far less than normal people.When I say something he don't like and don't want to accept ,like "My mother hit me."He just say "No.No.No.She didn't do it."(But he saw it so many times.)I hated him so much ,and thought he is a liar ,but I think he's something like "extremely refrigerator".He don't want to accept the ugliness in this world.His mother die when he was ~5.
Both of them don't care I always meet school bullying in school and I have health issue.
My language development was slower then other kids I saw when I was 5,I was talking like "Ah...I...Ah...want to Ah...play "But these language disappear when I grow older.
The reason I want to support refrigerator mother theory and attachment theory is I can't have any emotion communication until I met some friendly people when I was ~20,they encouraged me to do it .But they unfriended me by "have too much works","want to have a relationship with me ,but I refused".
I don't know I get a diagnosis or not(I suppose be yes),I just know after I met a psychologist in school many years ago,my mother keeping to use "Asperger"to insult me.They didn't told me directly.
I choose to be anti human cause by my own will (and my feelings),not ASD.

I saw many people on this forum dispute ASD cause by gene,but I disagree.People will never found gay gene and ASD gene because gay and ASD people are very unlikely to be fruitful and multiply.But some certain genes+environmental influence can lead to ASD.I saw many people who abused by their parents but they didn't get ASD ,they have very high chance mad in different ways ,especially female mad in their own relationship.Which I think is different genes affect.

I also believe a lot of "diagnosed ASD" are not "real and accurate".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment
It's a problem of points of view and money.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 2:01 am

Environments can cause genes to be expressed and/or expressed differently.

But it doesn't out right cause ASDs and other illnesses.
You would have have already had to have had the predisposition for it, as in it was already in you and needed a trigger.

Many genetic based stuff can only come into being when trigger happens, this can be an event, a chemical, an environment, etc...

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2015, 2:19 am

Parental abuse tends to cause all sorts of problems in a person, so even though I feel pretty confident that it doesn't cause autism, it's pretty much guarunteed to make your autism of a heck of a lot more problematic.

The "refrigerator mother" hypothesis has been disproven. If there's any correlation, I think it's more likely that a child with ASD causes parents to act cold (or act in ways observers may arbitrarily consider cold) because ASD kids may not like some "normal"

Neither same-sex attraction nor especially the broad autism phenotype would prevent animals or ancient humans from ever reproducing. There are all sorts of weird traits that actually do make reproduction biologically impossible in some situations but manage to be passed down genetically anyway, because there are other situations where it doesn't cause problems. For example, complete androgen insensitivity syndrome causes males to be sterile but doesn't particularly affect females.

Snow_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2015, 2:25 am

Cyllya1 wrote:
Parental abuse tends to cause all sorts of problems in a person, so even though I feel pretty confident that it doesn't cause autism, it's pretty much guarunteed to make your autism of a heck of a lot more problematic.

The "refrigerator mother" hypothesis has been disproven. If there's any correlation, I think it's more likely that a child with ASD causes parents to act cold (or act in ways observers may arbitrarily consider cold) because ASD kids may not like some "normal"

The father being "refrigerator" before I born .

umfum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2015, 2:32 am

I am sorry you went through all that, and that you have such unsupportive parents.

I can relate to your general notion. I grew up without a mother, and my father was abusive. I also did not have anyone to express emotions to, until the same age as you (around age 20). My upbringing was so very dysfunctional, that it is hard to separate what is caused by "ASD" and what is the result of my dysfunctional upbringing. I have also received mental health diagnoses, which I outright disagree with; I believe my "mental health issues" are in fact just the effects of my dysfunctional conditioning.

However, my situation is different to yours as I can see that my father is autistic. Therefore, autism seems in my family to be hereditary.

I used to believe that I was normal, just with a dysfunctional upbringing. But now I see that I seem to have ASD and that I will never able to change that, which is different how I view my "mental illnesses". I am now more accepting of the fact that I have ASD, though I sometimes wonder if I could be normal.

Snow_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2015, 2:48 am

umfum wrote:
I am sorry you went through all that, and that you have such unsupportive parents.

I can relate to your general notion. I grew up without a mother, and my father was abusive. I also did not have anyone to express emotions to, until the same age as you (around age 20). My upbringing was so very dysfunctional, that it is hard to separate what is caused by "ASD" and what is the result of my dysfunctional upbringing. I have also received mental health diagnoses, which I outright disagree with; I believe my "mental health issues" are in fact just the effects of my dysfunctional conditioning.

However, my situation is different to yours as I can see that my father is autistic. Therefore, autism seems in my family to be hereditary.

I used to believe that I was normal, just with a dysfunctional upbringing. But now I see that I seem to have ASD and that I will never able to change that, which is different how I view my "mental illnesses". I am now more accepting of the fact that I have ASD, though I sometimes wonder if I could be normal.

Hey.I don't know it's similar or not for have a very abusive mother compare with no mother.I feel my father is a bit autistic as well.He can't handle any relationship.
I think I have a very different view for human by my "dysfunctional upbringing"(the programing of human...),maybe I will posting them on this forum ,because I feel it's something will truly help ASD people ,unlike some quack.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 2:52 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_a ... t_disorder

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

umfum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2015, 3:06 am

Snow_ wrote:
umfum wrote:
I think I have a very different view for human by my "dysfunctional upbringing"(the programing of human...),maybe I will posting them on this forum ,because I feel it's something will truly help ASD people ,unlike some quack.

I would be interested to read that, should you choose to post that.

Snow_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2015, 3:14 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_attachment_disorder

So you think I got a RAD?
I feel these kind of "can blame parent stuff" can't get too much research funding.

Snow_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2015, 4:41 am

umfum wrote:
Snow_ wrote:
umfum wrote:

I would be interested to read that, should you choose to post that.

Okay,here.
viewtopic.php?t=286553

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 8:35 am

I would also recommend looking into RAD - not just your upbringing but your descriptions about interacting with others make me think of RAD first.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 8:51 am

It sounds like you had a tough situation.

Snow_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2015, 9:21 am

Tuttle wrote:
I would also recommend looking into RAD - not just your upbringing but your descriptions about interacting with others make me think of RAD first.

You know how to distinguish between RAD and ASD?
If you can ,I need your help...
My mother told me before I am 3(the age don't have memory),I was very "behaved",I don't cry even in the situation that I was bleeding.I don't know it's related with ASD or RAD,but it seem abnormal by my growing common sense.