Nice Guys, nice guys, alpha males, nice girls, and feminists

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,698

24 May 2015, 4:50 am

Users of WP, let us just stop with these terms and conversations concerning them.

They, and the characters they represent, serve no constructive purpose and are not conducive to growing socially, or bringing the sexes closer together. Rather, they have a tendency to further isolate already lonely individuals, polarizing the sexes, and reduce the odds of forming healthy relationships, by reinforcing negative perceptions, and cultivating resentment and feelings of hostility.

If you are on this website, then chances are, it's because you have an autistic spectrum disorder, and as such, you have marked impairment in social development[/u][/b]. This puts us in a class far removed from the general populace, and thus, in most instances, the applicability of the terms in the subject.

Rather than spend your time fixating on them, or trying to find an identity within them, you should be spending your time working on improving your social skills and interpersonal skills in general, and working with a counselor to rid yourself of any frustration, resentments, or bitterness against others and/or the opposite sex, which has formed as a by product of being different and socially deficient, yet having a need for social interactions.



Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 956
Location: Europe

24 May 2015, 5:04 am

I completely agree. Categorising people in this way isn't helpful or constructive, and as you say it can be positively harmful. It fails to take account of the countless nuances and idiosyncrasies that make every human being unique.


_________________
'All that we see is but a shadow and reflection of what is hidden from our eyes'
Vladimir Solovyëv

'Wo viel Licht ist, ist auch viel Schatten'.
Goethe

'Demain était déjà très loin'.
Julien Gracq
Un balcon en forêt

'Aș vrea să pot să locuiesc în propriile mele cuvinte ...'
Nichita Stănescu
O confesiune

'Once one has learnt to pay attention to the characteristic manifestations of autism, one realises that they are not at all rare'.
Hans Asperger


Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 371
Location: Squirrel Forest

24 May 2015, 5:11 am

I find feminism/gender studies to be really fascinating. Currently interested in looking into disabilities issues through a feminist lens. I'm trying to pursue a career in history/gender studies, so yeah it kind of is an identity.

As such it goes without saying that I disagree that feminism serves no constructive purpose. I feel that it has broadened my social awareness and can work to promote gender cooperation by dispelling negative perceptions.



Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,698

24 May 2015, 5:15 am

Agemaki wrote:
I find feminism/gender studies to be really fascinating. Currently interested in looking into disabilities issues through a feminist lens. I'm trying to pursue a career in history/gender studies, so yeah it kind of is an identity.

As such it goes without saying that I disagree that feminism serves no constructive purpose. I feel that it has broadened my social awareness and can work to promote gender cooperation by dispelling negative perceptions.


You are correct. I had meant to say "in most instances". However, for the purpose of this website, and specifically the love and dating forum, I believe these terms should be moved away from.



Last edited by Chronos on 24 May 2015, 5:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 371
Location: Squirrel Forest

24 May 2015, 5:24 am

Chronos wrote:
Agemaki wrote:
I find feminism/gender studies to be really fascinating. Currently interested in looking into disabilities issues through a feminist lens. I'm trying to pursue a career in history/gender studies, so yeah it kind of is an identity.

As such it goes without saying that I disagree that feminism serves no constructive purpose. I feel that it has broadened my social awareness and can work to promote gender cooperation by dispelling negative perceptions.


I said "in most instances", not all instances.


People like to have narratives to explain their experiences. Narratives simplify experiences and give meaning. But it doesn't mean that the narratives are always true or even helpful. Perhaps there is a need for better narratives.



The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,365
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

25 May 2015, 1:50 am

(((echo)))



foxamongbears
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2015
Posts: 1

25 May 2015, 3:47 am

Isms are hard for me to self-identify with. The best answer I have been able to come up with when asked if I am a feminist is that I believe in intersectionality - I am a feminist and many other things too.



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,551
Location: Sweden

25 May 2015, 4:29 am

I think the nice and alpha terms are just as useful as feminism. I'm for males and females having equal rights and opportunities, but I'm strongly against feminism.



Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Apr 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,321
Location: Scandinavia

25 May 2015, 5:30 am

There seems to be way more posts about these so-called nice guys than there are by them.


_________________
“He who controls the spice controls the universe.”


The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,365
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

25 May 2015, 6:22 am

rdos wrote:
I think the nice and alpha terms are just as useful as feminism. I'm for males and females having equal rights and opportunities, but I'm strongly against feminism.


That's feminism by definition, regardless of how some feminists act.



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,551
Location: Sweden

25 May 2015, 7:11 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
rdos wrote:
I think the nice and alpha terms are just as useful as feminism. I'm for males and females having equal rights and opportunities, but I'm strongly against feminism.


That's feminism by definition, regardless of how some feminists act.


No, feminism is about favoring females at the expense of males. That's very different from giving both genders equal rights and opportunities.



The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,365
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Apr 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,321
Location: Scandinavia

25 May 2015, 10:10 am

rdos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
rdos wrote:
I think the nice and alpha terms are just as useful as feminism. I'm for males and females having equal rights and opportunities, but I'm strongly against feminism.


That's feminism by definition, regardless of how some feminists act.


No, feminism is about favoring females at the expense of males. That's very different from giving both genders equal rights and opportunities.


There are different branches of feminism. You have those who genuinely hate men, or blame the "patriarchy" for their own shortcomings, but 90% of all feminists I know are perfectly well-adjusted people.


_________________
“He who controls the spice controls the universe.”


rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,551
Location: Sweden

25 May 2015, 12:57 pm

Kurgan wrote:
There are different branches of feminism. You have those who genuinely hate men, or blame the "patriarchy" for their own shortcomings, but 90% of all feminists I know are perfectly well-adjusted people.


Yes, I know, but still, the argument that the purpose of feminism is to favor females at the expense of males is valid for all of them. This argument can easily be proved by noticing that no male-specific problem is part of the agenda of any feminism branch unless it's solution favors females in some related way. That's why the purpose of feminism cannot be to achieve equal rights and opportunities.



Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,698

25 May 2015, 9:15 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:


I don't understand what posing as a stripper/porn star on a sex oriented chat site has to do with my original post.