What is good, depends on what is an advantage, in that situation

Whatever helps you get your goal

(Assuming it is a justified goal)

:mrgreen:

Pyromanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Nov 2018, 11:24 am

They think I'm something else, that's for sure. I didn't really hide my opinions and views and everybody knew I was smart in high school, and perhaps I used my wit to exreme ends in class. They probably just thought I was a half nuts genius, but also kind of awesome.

inkgirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2019, 12:43 am

Yup. I'm 19 as well, but mentally, I feel like a 13-14 year old. I guess I act like it, too. I've always matured slower than my peers when it comes to emotions, though. I still have a penchance for potty humor, much to the horror of my family. I'm the eldest of three siblings, but my brother (who is only 14 months younger than me) is mistaken as being older than me. He kind of "deals" with me a lot. I think that people mature at different rates. Maybe more so for auties. I don't know.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 9:22 am

You are not telepathic

You can't measure maturity

Nobody acts the same all the time

You might do one thing, and someone says you are immature and someone else says mature

Maturity is not necessarily a good thing

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 2:28 pm

I've been described as child-like yet mature before, due to the media (such as films, books, TV shows etc) that I enjoy. The way I eat is sometimes considered to be immature.

However, my voice is usually thought to sound older. I'm often mistaken for my mother on the phone. Guesses on my age based on physical looks vary, there are days where people assume I'm fifteen, and others where I'm asked if I'm a University lecturer by another student. :lol:

Although, the lecturers at my University are usually not that much older than us.

Growing up, I was considered to be mature for my age. Now I've been getting a few more I was exactly like you at your age remarks from people older than me. I have yet to have anyone remark that they were maturer than me. No one has told me that I need to grow up.

Despite this, I certainly feel immature at times. I think that people believe I actually know what I'm doing a lot more than I truly do. 8O

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 5:15 pm

Do people think I am immature. Yes. It is quite a compliment.

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2019, 11:47 pm

People think I am immature because I have developmental delays and I don't have a job. I also don't have great conversation skills, thus self advocacy is hard for me. I also don't really like things that other people my age like except for weed. It seems to help with my anxiety quite well. I am also still in high school and will be in high school until I am 21 because my IEP allows me to do that and I still have a lot to learn, people think that is immature. They think I am lazy for not getting a job or for not doing that well at school. I have meltdowns sometimes and people think I am too old for that. People also think it is immature that I still need my parents with me when I go to the doctors office. Its because I have a hard time explaining my symptoms or I lie about my symptoms. I like going for drives, but I cant drive. I like to go with my mom to the store just for the drive. Some people think that isn't very mature. I also have problems with wanting to eat a lot of junk food. I have troubles with eating healthy. All my family members say that I can be really immature in certain areas and very mature in other areas. They say I am understanding and compassionate

inkgirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2019, 8:27 pm

Oh my goodness! You have almost the same situation as me. I'm 19 as well, but it was unanimously agreed by my friends and family that I behave like an 11 year old.

Peta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2019, 6:56 am

people say I 26 going on 12

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 7:33 am

I think I am a mix between partial maturity with child like ways! (In a nice way of course!)

ReapTheWhirlwind
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2019, 12:02 pm

All the time, lol

-Issac Einstein (1453)

julian_03
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2019, 3:25 pm

People typically tell me that I am very mature for my age. I think that how people see us, mature or immature, has more to do with how we see the world in a different way. Because of my autism, I am very much a people pleaser since I want to avoid conflict at all costs. I think this may be why people see me as more mature for my age. I know that there are a lot of other people with autism and Asperger's that are definitely not people-pleasers, and focus on things that mainly interest and benefit them. Some people may see this as more immature. There is nothing wrong with either of these unless it is taken to an extreme. Sometimes, at least for me, my 'maturity' or people-pleasing comes at a cost for my personal and emotional well being. I think that as long as you are happy with yourself and are doing the best thing for yourself in the present and in the future, that there is nothing wrong with being seen as 'mature' or 'immature.' Just my thoughts :)

GonHunter
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2019, 4:05 pm

Yeah, and I don't need to change no matter what they say. We know when to be "mature".

HelloKittyRules95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2020, 8:47 am

Yes. All the time. One of my interests is Hello Kitty so I guess I can see why.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 9:00 am

When I was your age, I got that too. However, I was pretty immature now that I think about it but it's always good to find yourself a mentor who can correct you gently and help grow as a person.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2020, 4:34 pm

I'm nineteen and I try to act more "mature" since I know that's expected of me, but half the time people still seem to view me as the opposite. I often don't get taken seriously by people my age and older adults due to some of my interests, mannerisms, and the fact I have had developmental delays and have sensory issues, so people will view me as "childish" and treat me as such. It frustrates me since I'm capable of a lot more than people think.