31 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
32 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
not yet 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 37

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 1:24 pm

I've gone to live with my sister on six different occasions. Only the last was successful, and we lived together as roommates for about three years. But that failed too because I couldn't handle the loud neighbors in the apartment building. We both moved out around the same time; she went to a smaller apartment and I went back to my parents. Right now I'm suffering through that particular embarrassment while making early steps toward getting my own place via Section 8, reduced housing, etc, since I can't live on what I get from SSI without further assistance.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 9:43 pm

I was 21 when I finally left home. But it was to go live in a home for people with chronic mental illness. The fact that it was in the city and I now had much more independence and freedom outside than I did back in the country was the one thing that kept me sane living with at least 10 other people whose symptoms could be frightening or just annoying, and having to eat, sleep and do chores to a strict schedule.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 10:34 pm

I was 30 when I moved, before that I spent 10 years putting away money for a down payment on a house. Right now I am living with my twin, and we have a 15 year fixed mortgage.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 4:53 am

I really envy people who moved out early and somehow managed not only to survive, but even to thrive. I still have no idea how you can get started with your own life if it's not on your parents' terms, unless you just walk away empty-handed into homelessness, and probably into starvation or worse if you're not much more streetwise than me---which, admittedly, isn't saying much.

I don't even know if simply walking away would have granted me freedom---for the time it'd take me to starve to death or to be killed by someone, that is. With my Asperger's diagnosis, my history of always being considered mentally defective in some way or other since I was in kindergarten (basically, my parents have always ascribed anything they didn't like about me to my mental disorder, whatever that might be), and my whole life having always revolved around how to "cure" me, rather than giving me a chance to develop pursuing my true interests, like a normal person, I don't know how many legal resources they might have to stop me, arguing I'm insane and they have the moral responsibility not to let me act on my madness, for my own good.

screen_name wrote:
I'm not telling my kids what to do when they become of age. We are saving money for their futures, but I'm not pretending to know the best way for them to spend it. They are different people who will come of age in a different world than I did.

Well, since the money is yours, it's your inalienable right to tell them they're not having a cent of it unless they do exactly what you order them to, nothing more, nothing less, isn't it?

You can further justify it by maintaining that it'd be insulting to the wisdom you've earned with your life experience for them to think they know what's good for them better than you do, so, if they're going to be so disrespectful to you, and deem themselves so capable of doing well in life disregarding your views, they'd better just walk away and not ask anything from you ever again.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 11:07 am

at nearly 31 i am still nowhere even remotely close to moving out nor do i see that happening anytime soon

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2015, 1:33 pm

Lately, my parents and I have been looking into this program that provides housing and support for disabled people here in Massachusetts, and it looks like I might possibly be (finally) moving out of my parents' house, assuming that I get along with my potential roommate (I'm going to be meeting her soon). I feel really guilty about it, though, since it's going to cost my parents over $1000 per month. I wish I weren't such a money-sucking leech, and I wish I were better at supporting myself.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 8:07 pm

I moved out of the parental home aged 19, when I went to university. After that I lived on my own in various London flats for over 20 years.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 3:34 am

Spiderpig wrote:
I really envy people who moved out early and somehow managed not only to survive, but even to thrive.
I concur. I envy those people as well. I've even spoken to a few people in meatspace who said they moved out at 15 (somehow). I was 25 the first time I moved out. 26 the second time.

My main source of sadness is comparing myself to everyone else, particularly in regards to the age certain milestones were reached. It makes me miserable yet I keep doing out of morbid curiosity. It's sort of like when you have to look at a car crash even when you know there's a chance you'll see something gruesum. Even if it's bad you can't help but look. That's why I created this thread.

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jul 2015, 1:44 pm

I was 17. I moved in with a friend for a while, then went solo after that. Not the most brilliant decision, but I don't regret it.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 3:18 am

I'm not sure what to vote for. I believe I was 19 when I first left my parents' house, but I just moved in with my brother, so I wasn't exactly independent. I was around 21 when I first lived alone. Currently I live across the street from my parents. It certainly doesn't feel like I've moved out. :roll: