does anyone else struggle with time blindness/no nostalgia?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:40 pm

No, I don't struggle with time/nostalgia. In fact I find what has happened in the last 10 years in my life very interesting. Lots of things have changed since 2005. I was 15 in 2005, and now I'm 25, and since then a lot has changed. In 2005 my younger cousins were all little kids, now they are adults like me. And I was still at school in 2005, so obviously my routine was different then, and I had really embarrassing special interests what I frown upon now, and I didn't know most of the people I know now, and so much has changed and happened since then, to this day.

I keep meaning to start a timeline about my life, starting from when I was about 7 (I can't remember much before then), right up to this year. I can remember a lot of my birthdays. But I'm having trouble focusing on mapping out a timeline, although it sounds like such a creative thing to do, but at the same time I go to start one then I lose interest.

Jhobbs5
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2015, 4:32 pm

I have the worst sense of time. Everything will feel like such a long time ago when in fact it will be extremely recent

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 11:32 pm

I can remember major events (or even minor ones), both good and bad, that happened in my past life almost as if they were being shown to me in a movie. Recalling them will often stir up emotions inside of me even if they happened decades ago. I'm something of an 80's freak and I enjoy seeing toys and video games that were from that decade. But I find not a whole lot in the world has changed in the past decade and a half although I was going through all kinds of changes. Like moving into my own apartment and having such awful anxiety just the sound of the doorbell ringing would make me scream and jump even if I knew someone was coming over.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 1:48 am

Like the OP 2005, and 2015 seem like parts of the same work week (Tuesday, and Thursday) to me. Am not even enough up on the changing technology.

Like Krafty to me there is a HUGE difference between the early Sixties, and the late Sixties.

Its a combination of society changing, and you (the person) changing.

To a 20 year old the 9-11 attacks would seem like long ago. To a middle aged person they seem like yesterday.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 2:34 am

I sorta have this, I think.

I can get nostalgia real bad, which can be kinda depressing if I keep thinking about it too long. But the other bit... yeah, my sense of time is completely warped. Day to day, I have no sense of what time it is unless I frequently check a clock... 20 minutes can feel like 2 hours, or the other way around, and typically I have no idea what day of the week it is.

And remembering events.... yeah. I might remember something as having happened 2 years ago, and it turns out it happened 12 years ago. Ugh. Combine this with the fact that I've been known to remember things that didnt happen at all, and... yeah. CONFUSE.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 3:36 am

I have an uncanny sense of how much time is passing, if I am paying attention to it. But if I get distracted, or get really absorbed in something, I may have very little sense of it at all.

Sometimes the taskbar on my computer freezes, and if the time gets stuck at say 8:30, maybe 5 hours go by and I really feel like it is still 8:30.

But in my job, I am accustomed to noticing how much time it takes to do things, so I always know how much time is passing.

Days usually go by really fast for me. Weeks and months go by even faster. But hours sometimes can just seem to go on forever. It's weird.

I can't keep track of how long ago I bought food. It always seems like it was just yesterday. Grass grows faster than I expect it to. lol

I notice things changing a lot, culturally and economically. 2005 was a completely different era, and I was a very different person then.

I have strong nostalgia for times before I was born, especially 1950s America, and 1830s Paris. Those times feel more immediate to me than the much more recent past, or even the present for that matter.

I love to look at historical photos and read stories about the history of the area where I live. I feel intense nostalgia for some of those times. I want to go back in time and see things the way they used to be.

If I go out in the woods on our family property, I feel like it could be any time in the past...50, 100, 500 years ago, 1000 years ago, because there are no reminders of anything modern. Just nature.