Outrage pushes PacSun to yank upside-down American flag T-sh

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 2:06 pm

WashingtonPost.com wrote:
Another retailer has apologized for a clothing design criticized as insensitive to military service members.

This time, PacSun removed a T-shirt emblazoned with an upside-down American flag from its stores after people bombarded the retailer's Facebook page and said it was disrespectful to promote the shirt over Memorial Day weekend. The move came just days after Under Armour pulled its "Band of Ballers" shirt after a similar social media backlash.

[...] According to the U.S. Flag Code, "the flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property...."

WashingtonPost.com: "Outrage pushes PacSun to yank upside-down American flag T-shirt" (May 26, 2015)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/20

Well, if the U.S. flag is to be "displayed with the union down, [...] as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property[,]" I would argue that the shirts should be sold and worn for exactly that reason. After all, most economists and historians have reported that the United States have never been so distressed. I agree with them. It is too bad, then, that PacSun couldn't figure that out, stand up for their merchandise and educate some Americans in the process.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Tonylock
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2015, 12:02 pm

I'm not sure why this was an "outrage". Clothing companies have done this in some form or another forever. I clearly remeber Kanati Clothing Company doing this in 2010 with NO outrage. Maybe because it is partly owned by a Native American Indian and the "white guilt" wouldn't allow outrage?

Clothing is an expression. The flag right side up probably offends people in a lot of countries. BTW doesn't an upside down flag signal distress? :ninja:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 3:33 pm

That is so typical of Americans. If the Canada flag was shown the same way, a lot of people would probably be going, "Ha ha, look the maple leaf's upside down!" :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 6:06 pm

Campus radicals in the Sixties used to fly the American flag upside down.

So I guess that it still thought of by some as some kind of pinko commie gesture.

The Confederate Battleflag looks the same either side up, but since it represents the ultimate right wing cause of America- they could be even handed-either ban both upside down American flags, and rebel flags- or- they could allow both symbols!