Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ALizzyBeth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2015, 4:07 pm

So I just received my diagnosis recently. I've been working at my local WallyMart as a cashier for 6 months now. I know it isn't a fit.

Had another 'bad' customer today. Guy comes into my line with a kart full of already bagged groceries, some looks like our bags, some not. He puts about 3 items that weren't in bags on my belt. I kind of stare at the stuff in the kart as he offers no explanation to all the other stuff. It is part of my job to look at the kart.

He decides I gave him a dirty look and says so. I doubt I did, maybe I looked grumpy though. I tell him I was just trying to figure out why there's other stuff in his kart. He still offers no explanation. Then tells me I'm mean just like my coworkers. I say nothing and try not to cry. Then his card refuses to read. I end up having to type it in, all the while he's berating me that he just got a new card and it's all our fault.

Fortunately it's lunch time now. I escaped. Went to cry in the bathroom. A couple of customers decided to comfort me and hug me. I let them, but did not enjoy it. Don't people realize I might not want strangers hugging me?

Hate this job.

Sunnyboy2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 May 2015, 9:50 pm

I work walmart too, I'm an absolute terror there. Many people find me unpleasant, even if I make the effort to not be unpleasant..

I work Photo Lab, we're not in the electronics department like they usually are and the volume of photos we do daily requires me as full staff. We also manage seasonal layaway and site to store, three people and three departments in one department. Go figure.

I worked as a cashier at home depot for about two years before this job. I'd have full blown panic attacks over someone raising their voice at me for even a split second, or having to talk on the phone to anyone.. I've become extremely unresponsive towards most angry customers, you get what you get from me at this point. I just dont like people enough to change that.

But you'll be okay, cashiering is crap but I guess pretending to be interested is okay if you want to do that. Realistically, walmart doesnt even care if a customer walks out with items. If they're caught, good deal. But its not your job, that's LP's job. If you feel you're required to ask, just say something like 'did you cash out and forget something?' or my favorite thing is just getting a CSM over. Training question, a CSM can do the transaction instead if you feel uncomfortable.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 11:38 am

Just tell them you want t be left alone.

Also a thing about cashiering is dealing with rude customers so don't take it personal and learn to be tough.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 9:21 am

ALizzyBeth wrote:
A couple of customers decided to comfort me and hug me. I let them, but did not enjoy it. Don't people realize I might not want strangers hugging me?
Yeah what's up with that? Nowadays the hug seems to be like the new handshake. It used to be an expression of love but nowadays I see hugs between people who barely know each other (always initiated by a woman, at least one of them is always a woman).