Post images that would fascinate an aspie mind!

Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 2:44 am

In particular for you picture thinkers out there--we all know that there are certain things that just emit raw "wow" and amazingness to many of those on the spectrum, but that would fail to capture the attention of anyone else, except those whose occupation requires them to take an interest in them. This is the thread to share those!

I will start with the pictures on this blog:
http://zeptobars.ru/
Even as a relatively small child (8 or 9ish), things like this were incredibly interesting to me, and just begged to be looked at. I say things LIKE this because, as the Internet wasn't around, I only saw circuit diagrams on paper, never actual photos like this. It was as though I was born with the tendency to seek out things like this. Despite having been interested in biochemistry since 15ish or so, and being used to looking at very different kinds of diagrams for the past 15 years, I still get something "primal" out of the pictures on this blog.

So, people, share your own examples!

traven
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 3:40 am

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 11:49 pm

I like the neurons. And I love your eloquent description "complex but ordered chaos"! I think that's why I have veered in the direction of biology as I got older--it's the ultimate example of that. Circuit diagrams are more toward the ordered side, because they are designed systematically by humans by putting together deterministic components. Whereas life at the molecular level is a self-organized system, and sits right on the edge of chaos.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 1:03 am

bovinepugilist
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jun 2015, 5:42 am

This is what I like.

30400v
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2015, 7:13 am

Those microchips pictures really are amazing!

Here are some things to look at that I made a few years ago, when I really was into f*****g around with Photoshop.

Those are mostly detail oriented so they might not look cool unless zoomed at the right percentage.

https://goo.gl/photos/sS887QYnH5qG72589

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 10:17 am

Should never have opened this thread! I just lost 20 minutes to exploring microchip images...

The Cassette images don't particularly enthrall, but the chips, microscopy, neurons, labyrinths etc. :D :D :D
Hard to tear myself away and get back to work.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2015, 10:22 am

I lost a few minutes to the bottom cassette pic and I like looking at the microchips and pretending they're actually maps.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 11:19 am

I love the neurons! The cassettes and the one above it are way too overstimulating.

bovinepugilist
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jun 2015, 11:48 am

Also these.

I think for me it's more about the content. I just really like to stare at cassettes/VHS and batteries.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 11:55 am

i like to create functions that produce patterns that produce effects that i want to see.

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 2:59 pm

30400v wrote:
Those microchips pictures really are amazing!

Here are some things to look at that I made a few years ago, when I really was into f*****g around with Photoshop.

Those are mostly detail oriented so they might not look cool unless zoomed at the right percentage.

https://goo.gl/photos/sS887QYnH5qG72589

The microchips do look like maps, I agree. Some of those Photoshop pictures look a bit like fingerprints. I imagine they would make good backgrounds for passports or other legal documents to discourage counterfeiting.

The one with the batteries reminds me--apparently one time as a kid I was really into those dried fruit baskets that they sell in supermarkets in the fall, with all the different types of fruit and nuts carefully arranged.

"b9", have you considered posting some of your work to Erowid's visionary art gallery? I bet they would like it.

Here's something else cool along those lines--pixel shaders!(the page unfortunately has problems loading)
https://www.shadertoy.com/
I love the idea of creating a scene without actually having to draw anything by hand, but by just specifying what to draw mathematically.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 5:29 pm

b9 wrote:
i like to create functions that produce patterns that produce effects that i want to see.

This is very cool and reminds me of the many hours I have lost to exploring fractals.

TheMagnanimousKitten
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2015, 8:00 pm

Picture thinker here :)
I love fractals!! ! :D Static images and fractal zooms (you can find them on YouTube) :D
I spent hours watching fractal deep zooms today :D

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 8:24 pm

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 9:06 pm