Post images that would fascinate an aspie mind!

Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 2:59 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Shark skin macro....evolution is the greatest engineer EVER :!: :!: :!: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 12:42 am

mycelium und mycorrhiza

the (mostly)invisible network being, with the temperatures up I smell it, 'goodmorning friend' as I'm sure its a bigger entity than me and walking in the woods it's everywhere,
https://mushroomwave.wikispaces.com/Myc ... Picture%21
the mycelium, which is an underground network of rootlike fibers that can stretch for miles. [] calls mycelia the “grand disassemblers of nature” because they break down complex substances into simpler components. For example, some fungi can take apart
the hydrogen-carbon bonds that hold petroleum products together. Others have shown the potential to clean up nerve-gas agents, dioxins, and plastics. They may even be skilled enough to undo the ecological damage pollution has wrought.

Since reading Mycelium Running, I’ve begun to consider the possibility that mycelia know something we don’t. [Stamets] believes they have not just the ability to protect the environment but the intelligence to do so on purpose. His theory stems in part from the fact that mycelia transmit information across their huge networks using the same neurotransmitters that our brains do: the chemicals that allow us to think
http://peakenergy.blogspot.fr/2008/07/n ... igent.html

Orchid mycorrhizae are symbiotic relationships between the roots of plants of the family Orchidaceae and a variety of fungi. All orchids are myco-heterotrophic at some point in their life cycle. Orchid mycorrhizae are critically important during orchid germination, as orchid seed has virtually no energy reserve and obtains its carbon from the fungal symbiont. Many adult orchids retain their fungal symbionts, although the benefits to the adult photosynthetic orchid and the fungus remain largely unexplored.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 11:01 am

traven wrote:
the (mostly)invisible network being, with the temperatures up I smell it, 'goodmorning friend' as I'm sure its a bigger entity than me and walking in the woods it's everywhere,
https://mushroomwave.wikispaces.com/Myc ... Picture%21
the mycelium, which is an underground network of rootlike fibers that can stretch for miles. [] calls mycelia the “grand disassemblers of nature” because they break down complex substances into simpler components. For example, some fungi can take apart
the hydrogen-carbon bonds that hold petroleum products together. Others have shown the potential to clean up nerve-gas agents, dioxins, and plastics. They may even be skilled enough to undo the ecological damage pollution has wrought.

Since reading Mycelium Running, I’ve begun to consider the possibility that mycelia know something we don’t. [Stamets] believes they have not just the ability to protect the environment but the intelligence to do so on purpose. His theory stems in part from the fact that mycelia transmit information across their huge networks using the same neurotransmitters that our brains do: the chemicals that allow us to think
http://peakenergy.blogspot.fr/2008/07/n ... igent.html

Orchid mycorrhizae are symbiotic relationships between the roots of plants of the family Orchidaceae and a variety of fungi. All orchids are myco-heterotrophic at some point in their life cycle. Orchid mycorrhizae are critically important during orchid germination, as orchid seed has virtually no energy reserve and obtains its carbon from the fungal symbiont. Many adult orchids retain their fungal symbionts, although the benefits to the adult photosynthetic orchid and the fungus remain largely unexplored.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza

Incredible.
As a kid I grew lots of wildflowers, some of which are symbiotic with certain types of fungi.
For example, I grew some Pink Lady Slipper Orchids. I was told that they will only grow in the shade of Pine or Oak trees, which is only partially true. They actually require the presences of a fungus that prefers to feed in the acidic environment produced by decaying Pine and Oak leaves.
There is an intelligence there in the humus and soil. It has a component of energy flow through the network that is electrical in nature. This life grows in directions and patterns that are dependent on the flow of electricity through the environment. If the electrical charge isn't correct, then the plants are unable to absorb nutrients from the environment across the cell walls.
Roots and mycelia follow paths determined by a logical decision making process of binary bifurcation, often forming what looks like a binary tree, or sometimes geometric patterns.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 11:31 am

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 12:22 pm

The Voynich Manuscript is fascinating. You can get high-resolution PDFs of each page online. Here are my favorites:

(If you don't know what it is, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript.)

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 1:58 pm

"Top and bottom have my guided seal of approval"

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 7:56 pm

I love seeing the Fibonacci, fractals, etc... manifest throughout the natural world. :nerdy: :heart: :nerdy: :heart:

and we sooooooo misunderstand plants, the chemical communication between like species and even other species is sooooo fascinating :nerdy: :heart: :nerdy: :heart:

i mean there are plants that warn others of their kind when they have detected a certain insect and the other plants start releasing chemical irritants to that specific insect :lol: :nerdy: so awesome!! !

we have so much more to learn!

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 11:10 pm

slave wrote:
I love seeing the Fibonacci, fractals, etc... manifest throughout the natural world. :nerdy: :heart: :nerdy: :heart:

There's a great an long video about Bio-mimicry on youtube that I think you would like.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 11:41 pm

olympiadis wrote:
slave wrote:

There's a great an long video about Bio-mimicry on youtube that I think you would like.

Thanks!
I looked and found several...do you remember which one?
any details would help me narrow it down

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 2:15 pm

I think after the into, it's a lady speaking to a group at some University, on the U.S. West coast I think.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 10:21 pm

olympiadis wrote:
I think after the into, it's a lady speaking to a group at some University, on the U.S. West coast I think.

Ty I will attempt to find it. :D

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 2:13 pm

olympiadis wrote:

AAAUUUUGH! I'm trypophobic - it means a strong, visceral negative reaction to images of HOLES! For me the holes have to be in a base of what appears to be living tissue of some sort, so while this freaks me out:

This next one does not. Well, not as much:

What I really love to gaze at though, is 3d Mandelbrot images:

Something from the past I miss in a nostalgic way are some of the fictional (painted?) images/graphics from the early 1970's that depicted incredibly detailed *vertical* cities or kingdoms/villages. Haven't found a single example online yet. Probably only existed for a few years, but I loved to stare at the posters & puzzles of them.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 12:27 am

Kiriae wrote:
(whole bunch of beautiful rainbow pics)

I
rainbow pictures!! !