Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 5:49 am

Wow, he looks good!! I mean, I know he's had plastic surgery, and all, but.....

I feel a little sad, though----maybe just your "garden variety" Aspie response ("I don't like change")----I also felt the same way when Chastity Bono transitioned, into "Chaz"----but, I guess that's being selfish, and I should just be happy, that THEY are happy.

Also, I think it says something that he doesn't spell "Caitlyn" with a "K", as is what's "usual".

http://www.people.com/article/bruce-jenner-reveals-caitlyn-woman

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 5:56 am

Just a heads up, the pronoun you're looking for is "she", not "he".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 6:29 am

It's the makeup. If you'd ever seen Jenner without it, you'd think they were two different people. Of course, Jenner is also wealthy, so the best and most skillful cosmetic surgery is not out of the question. The average trans-female will likely end up looking more like a man in drag, unless the transitioning began before puberty.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 6:57 am

You can call me Ogrinash. Mighty Uruk of Mordor!

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 7:33 am

She *has* had facial feminisation surgery. If she hadn't, she would look like a man in drag. The surgery can be quite effective.

Alas, a lot of transwomen seem to fixate on genital surgery, and won't spend money on FFS until they've had it - even though it would probably improve their prospects for getting and keeping a job, and thus enabling them to get the required money much quicker...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 8:17 am

Fnord wrote:
It's the makeup. If you'd ever seen Jenner without it, you'd think they were two different people. Of course, Jenner is also wealthy, so the best and most skillful cosmetic surgery is not out of the question. The average trans-female will likely end up looking more like a man in drag, unless the transitioning began before puberty.
There is also the corset, the wig, the padded bra, and the special cup for Jenner's "package" (which is still obvious in some shots).

Jenner might 'pass' is West Hollywood, but not in Anaheim!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 11:01 am

Those forearms and hands do not look feminine.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 2:54 pm

Good for her! However, this has already caused debate whether gender-reassignment surgery is worth it. Like many, I'm tired of transphobes shooting their mouths off at the idea of transgenderism, which is not going anywhere anytime soon.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 4:25 pm

Sorry Bruce I just can't do it. Maybe it's my age, maybe my aspie way of thinking, I just can't call a he a she. When he lops his bad boys off then I'll think about it. :geek:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 12:42 am

I guess people who keep the package want the best of both worlds?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 2:56 am

I am happy for Caitlyn. You can be mentally female and still keep your man parts. Caitlyn was an amazing Olympic Athlete. I wonder how long Caitlyn has had to hold onto the Bruce persona/alter-ego.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 3:33 am

Am I courageous for coming out as an Orc?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 8:10 am

RoadRatt wrote:
Sorry Bruce I just can't do it. Maybe it's my age, maybe my aspie way of thinking, I just can't call a he a she. When he lops his bad boys off then I'll think about it. :geek:

I don't really get this. I mean, if the person wants to be called she, why be rude? What harm is done by respecting her wishes? Or would it somehow be better if I said "his" wishes?

I just don't understand why it is anyone's business to tell him to conform to some particular role.

Maybe if she wore a burka? Had bound feet.

If you feel you are an Orc, Dillogic, I don't see any harm in treating you as one. Given the general view of Orcs I have been exposed to since I first read Lord of the Rings and played "Chainmail/Greyfalcon" I think it is a bit brave. Someone who has come out as a Rogue or Fighter may feel an urge to attack you when you reveal your identity.
But perhaps you are not being entirely serious?

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 8:28 am

Adamantium wrote:
Those forearms and hands do not look feminine.

Well she IS 65. They realistically pass for an old lady's arms in my book. But what is going on with her right knee?

Her transition is certainly not representative of what the "common folk" go through with theirs. That's my issue with it. She's bringing awareness which is good, but at the same time it's glossed over (quite literally), glamorized and seems to skip mentioning her extraordinary circumstance of wealth and pre-existing public admiration.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 11:45 am

I don't think bringing awareness to a mental disorder in this way is generally the best way to go about it.

Acceptance, yes, but not glamorizing it. Glamorizing it is exactly what is being done here. There's little in the way of discussing the challenges involved, just some pictures and talk of "living a lie" and "what have I done?" (mainly regret there, not much talk of how it's traumatizing).

That's my issue with these things and celebrities "coming out", whether it's OCD, AS, gender identity disorder, an eating disorder, and whatnot.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 2:04 pm

Dillogic wrote:
I don't think bringing awareness to a mental disorder in this way is generally the best way to go about it.

Acceptance, yes, but not glamorizing it. Glamorizing it is exactly what is being done here. There's little in the way of discussing the challenges involved, just some pictures and talk of "living a lie" and "what have I done?" (mainly regret there, not much talk of how it's traumatizing).

That's my issue with these things and celebrities "coming out", whether it's OCD, AS, gender identity disorder, an eating disorder, and whatnot.

Good point. I never get all this swooning over a celebrity, probably because I myself rarely follow celebrities for the "person." Of course, if there is an author of books I like, I will follow them with regard to those books, for example.

I think about those with gender dysphoria who are struggling to make ends meet, struggling to work something out for their life. I don't see how swooning over a celebrity helps matters.