I am getting no assistance with my austism

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

PrettyBoy999
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2015, 4:08 pm

I discovered I have austism when I was 16 (17 now) and after it was discovered. No one has help me. The School and My Parents hasn't done anything. I am struggling very hard with my austism but I feel like I am struggling extra harder than normal. I ask for help like putting me in special needs classes but they told me no and they haven't told none of my teachers. My Mom only acknowledged my austism when with the school but behind close doors she tells me I don't have it and I am only lazy and stupid. I can't get help with getting a job and with money after high school because no one made it official with my papers. I am getting literally no help from anyone. What did I do?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 4:48 pm

To tell you the truth, I would say that it is good that they don't put you in "special needs classes." It's quite possible that you don't need them. The reality is: being in Special Ed carries a stigma. It's probably better that you're in "regular classes."

I'm sorry that the school is not helping you, and that you're frustrated.

You're probably in a school district that has many kids, and many disabled kids. Unfortunately, high-functioning autism is, frequently, not seen as being a "priority" disorder like, say, Down's Syndrome.

I wish your parents would advocate more for you, so you could get some services--what sort of services do you think you need? What sort of trouble do you have academically in school?

What will help you in your life is getting your high school diploma. How long do you have left before you get that diploma?

I'm sorry you're going through hard times. Always remember: many 17-year-olds, even "normal" kids, go through problems. It's a tough age for many people.

I would say, if at all possible, that you should focus, first, on finishing high school. After you finish high school, things will probably get at least somewhat better for you.

PrettyBoy999
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2015, 4:56 pm

You're probably in a school district that has many kids, and many disabled kids.

Mine school district is small

what sort of services do you think you need? What sort of trouble do you have academically in school?

I heard there are services that will help you get a job, financial aid and free health care and I have a hard time being around people (social anxiety and stuff like that), paying attention, caring about school, kids being mean and being weird

How long do you have left before you get that diploma?

One more school year

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 5:20 pm

How are your grades?

Where in Texas do you live? Don't say your exact town, say your nearest city.

They usually have more services in big cities like Dallas and Houston. You should call the autism society of whatever big city you are near.

Some of the services you could take advantage of now. For others, you need to be 18, or have the permission of your parents.

I understand about social anxiety. But, you have to try to lessen some of that if you want to get services. Or your parents have to help you more.

PrettyBoy999
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2015, 5:25 pm

"How are your grades?
I really don't know

Where in Texas do you live? Don't say your exact town, say your nearest city"

Victoria

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 5:43 pm

Why don't you know your grades?

Are you in Special Ed at the present time?

PrettyBoy999
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2015, 5:48 pm

Why don't you know your grades?
forgot for some class and I don't care for some

Are you in Special Ed at the present time?

only one class but I ain't in there for autism, I'm in there for bad grades

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 5:50 pm

You should make an appointment with your guidance counselor, and discuss your grades, and discuss how many credits you have towards graduation. It is very important that you do this.

When you walk into his office, say "Thank you for having this meeting with me."

Then say: "If you wouldn't mind, I would like to discuss my grades with you. I want to keep better track of my grades. How many more credits do I need to graduate? Thank you very much."

How did you find out that you have autism?

PrettyBoy999
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jun 2015, 10:54 am

I did some research on google

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 1:27 pm

PrettyBoy999 wrote:

I did some research on google

Like you wrote in order to get benefits you need to be diagnosed by a professional who will write a diagnostic report you will use as "proof". Autism has many traits that are similar to other conditions and most people have some Autistic traits. Next year when you are 18 you can seek professional help without parental involvement. If you seek professional help the goal is not to be labeled autistic per say but to find out and treat what is impairing you whatever it is labeled.

Yes it is complicated so if you go the professional or another route please ask for further assistance here.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

PrettyBoy999
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2015, 11:48 am

I already got a professional diagnosis

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 12:27 pm

...3A

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 1:25 pm

I wish I could help, but first, I would need a job as someone who assists people with autism and secondly health insurance coverage would have to be excellent in that job since the only reason I have avoided going to the US (even though I am a US citizen) is that health costs in the US are freakishly expensive.