Maker of "miracle mineral supplement" convicted

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 9:50 pm

"A federal jury in the Eastern District of Washington returned a guilty verdict yesterday against a Spokane, Washington, man for selling industrial bleach as a miracle cure for numerous diseases and illnesses, including cancer, AIDS, malaria, hepatitis, lyme disease, asthma and the common cold, the Department of Justice announced."

Ill-informed people had been pushing this stuff as a "treatment" for autism, by "killing parasites" when administered rectally.

It's just industrial bleach in water.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2015/ ... -quackery/

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jun 2015, 10:08 pm

Any "miracle cure" is fake.
Anything that cures more than one thing is fake, unless it's a combo like Aspirin and muscle relaxant.
Anything that cures desperate people is fake.

All we can do is remember the people in this world who are not selling snake oil.
There are angels among us, even if not in the traditional spiritual sense.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 12:05 am

Sounds like a nasty quack cure, it reminds me of a cult in the far east (maybe Hong Kong) which advocated drinking hydrogen peroxide to cure every ill. Either putting chlorine bleach (NaOCl) or oxygen bleach (H2O2) up your backside or drinking it is very bad. It is likely to result in a nasty injury / poisoning.

<edit comment>Opps sorry for the type I wrote quake in place of quack, maybe too early in the morning. Sadly there is nothing which will cure an earthquake, if we could pour medicine into the ground to reverse an earthquake that would be nice but impossible</edit comment>

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 12:31 am

Either this man is a fool, or he was deliberately trying to turn a profit selling something that kills people. I'd say the latter; the fact that this man is alive indicates that he never tried his own product...

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 12:11 am

Claradoon wrote:
Anything that cures more than one thing is fake, unless it's a combo like Aspirin and muscle relaxant.

Eh, some things are legitimately for more than one thing.

Antidepressants used to treat neuropathy. Doesn't work great for neuropathy but it works better than nothing and there's no risk of addiction. It's doing the same thing to nerves inside and outside of your head.

Propecia was developed to treat enlarged prostates but it turns out that it makes you grow hair too, working the same job in both places.

You mention aspirin. It's a blood thinner as well as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. I forget why it thins blood, but it does.

There are drugs that legitimately do more than one thing. But when they are supposed to treat everything, yeah, that's bull.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 3:32 am

blauSamstag wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

Antidepressants used to treat neuropathy. Doesn't work great for neuropathy but it works better than nothing and there's no risk of addiction. It's doing the same thing to nerves inside and outside of your head.

Propecia was developed to treat enlarged prostates but it turns out that it makes you grow hair too, working the same job in both places.

You mention aspirin. It's a blood thinner as well as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. I forget why it thins blood, but it does.

There are drugs that legitimately do more than one thing. But when they are supposed to treat everything, yeah, that's bull.

Um, do you know what the withdrawal symptoms are like for SSRIs? They're hellish. They're not really addictive in the sense that you enjoy taking them, but rather you end up taking them just because you don't want to experience the withdrawal symptoms. Those are just my experiences anyway.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 12:57 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

Um, do you know what the withdrawal symptoms are like for SSRIs? They're hellish. They're not really addictive in the sense that you enjoy taking them, but rather you end up taking them just because you don't want to experience the withdrawal symptoms. Those are just my experiences anyway.

I do. I also know that a doctor is supposed to help you taper off.