Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 12:51 am

Well, folks in my travels through life I've learned a great deal of things:
1. Being an EMT sucks
2. My old psychiatrist liked to up my pills after every visit
And what brings us here today
3. I like to fall for girls outta of my league who's idea of a good time is getting drunk and making questionable decisions (what's not to love).

Now, let's get to the heart of the problem.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't feel the same way about me as I feel about her. She's also a very good friend of my brother. She has a thing for tall country boys with beards and lifted trucks.

Now, I've come to terms with the fact she probably (okay, definitely) doesn't like me, but I'm having a very hard time moving on. Another problem is I said would tell her how I feel and I find it morally wrong if I don't go through with it.

Okay, now you may be asking yourself, "Son, why did you feel the compulsion to post this here?" Well, I'm not sure with how I should proceed, if I tell her I could potentially start a sh!tstorm of epic proportions and if I don't I will be troubled and probably never move on.

So, please feel free to post your thoughts and feelings on my hopelessness.

Will clarify anything that needs clarification within reason.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 12:53 am

IMHO, if it ain't immediately mutual, it's no good.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 1:00 am

Feel the same way, generally, but I've never had feelings for someone like this before, and am losing my head right now. All my worries in the world go away when I'm near her and just...blah it playing hell with my head.

INTJ

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 1:06 am

it is a tough deal, I know, this unrequited love or unrequited limerance at least. all one can do is cut one's losses and concentrate one's energies on an end that is more promising. no mere human is worth being placed upon a pedestal as some kind of paragon of attractiveness and loveliness. there's always another that is better somewhere, and possibly more interested/compatible with one, than the present fixation. do you really find her type [attracted to macho men] attractive above all else?

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 2:35 am

auntblabby wrote:
it is a tough deal, I know, this unrequited love or unrequited limerance at least. all one can do is cut one's losses and concentrate one's energies on an end that is more promising. no mere human is worth being placed upon a pedestal as some kind of paragon of attractiveness and loveliness. there's always another that is better somewhere, and possibly more interested/compatible with one, than the present fixation. do you really find her type [attracted to macho men] attractive above all else?

She's kinda hard to explain, she likes what society says is hot but she ain't much of a looker herself. She's young and shallow like most girls my age, but tries to act otherwise. Try's to play herself out to be someone who puts others first but only does it when people are looking, and if they're not she makes damn sure to brag on social media.

She ain't perfect, no one is, and for the most part I don't know why I like her (overall pretty crappy human being, but acts likes she cares about others). I've known her for two years and at times it seems like she flirts with me (I'm close to the aforementioned stereotype, minus the truck and height) and didn't really start to like her until someone made a comment back about in January about how she at the time constantly tried to take me out partying/clubbing.

Hope that helps.

INTJ

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 2:38 am

I sorta get the "she showed interest in me, so I fell in love with her" deal, as I am the same way, being so used to being given the cold shoulder as a matter of course.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 3:41 am

auntblabby wrote:
IMHO, if it ain't immediately mutual, it's no good.

Disagree. By having this attitude you will limit yourself too much, IMHO. Even if our Western culture doesn't think so, showing persistent interest in somebody often has a positive effect, and can lead to a mutual interest. Sometimes you need to invest time in things that doesn't come with an immediate reward in order to gain something. OTOH, if the other party outright rejects you, then it is time to move on.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 10:11 am

Sheerboredom wrote:
...I've never had feelings for someone like this before, and am losing my head right now. All my worries in the world go away when I'm near her and just...blah it playing hell with my head.

I have been there before. Admittedly I can be a weird duck, but what can sometimes help me is to think in terms of what's going on inside me, biochemically speaking. When I am near someone that I am that attracted to my body produces a rush of oxytocin, dopamine, and other feel-good juices. When I am away from them I go through withdrawals and craze another "hit" by being near them again. Worse, sometimes I can get a hit just by thinking about them, which can set off a spiral of obsessive daydreaming. When I view my love-muddled mind in this way it can sometimes lessen its impact.

Also, if as you say this is the first time you have experienced this, I recall how confusing it was for me during my first trip on the infamous Limerance Rollercoaster.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2015, 5:44 am

Yeah, I was showing her something on my phone and she found texts messages between a friend and myself about her.

She laughed about it, said that's sweet and you're still friend zoned.
Proceeded to spend the next 8 hours walking around the county, spent the next day in the middle of nowhere, and I'm enlisting Monday.

INTJ

Subjekt_9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2015, 2:26 am

Sheerboredom wrote:
Feel the same way, generally, but I've never had feelings for someone like this before, and am losing my head right now. All my worries in the world go away when I'm near her and just...blah it playing hell with my head.

Logic triumphs over matters of the heart every time. What does your GUT tell you? Its obvious you already feel that she doesn't feel the way you do, and you're probably right. I hate to be a negative prick, but its true.

I most recently felt the same way about a girl, and honestly, she was leading me on and bending the truth like Superman bends a beam of steel. I thought that she was unlike any other woman I had ever met, that we were meant to be together, etc. But at the back of my head a voice kept saying "Dude, you guys are incompatible on so many levels".

What it came down to is this: I was more in love with the idea of being in love, than I ever was in love with her...if that makes any sense. Maybe your situation is the same...If you have to convince yourself that it might work, then it won't work.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 4:19 am

Subjekt_9 wrote:
If you have to convince yourself that it might work, then it won't work.

Disagree. For me "convincing yourself" is the same thing as persistence, and I know for sure that persistence works.

Subjekt_9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2015, 4:48 am

rdos wrote:
Subjekt_9 wrote:

Disagree. For me "convincing yourself" is the same thing as persistence, and I know for sure that persistence works.

You're right, but to a point. Persistence doesn't always pay off. You can't force someone to like you.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 1:01 am

for those of us on an unpopular frequency, no amount of persuasion will somehow make another person come around to our frequency.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 8:50 am

Subjekt_9 wrote:
rdos wrote:
Subjekt_9 wrote:

You're right, but to a point. Persistence doesn't always pay off. You can't force someone to like you.

If you select the girls you get obsessed with carefully, there is a high chance that it will pay off. But, you are right, it doesn't pay off if you do a poor selection of somebody that neither is not compatible nor interested at all. The best way to ensure possible interest is by using the "if they look a lot at you, they like you" trait that also ensures compatibility.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 8:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
for those of us on an unpopular frequency, no amount of persuasion will somehow make another person come around to our frequency.

It's a given that you must ensure they are on the right frequency before you start obsessing about them. No sense in wasting time on NTs.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 9:54 am

The best way not to fall is to be already lying on the ground.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.