Sick and tired of people using AS as an excuse

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 1:50 am

Everytime I come into a debate with someone who has ASD, they use it as an excuse to be insistent that they are always right and that they would always get their way. Some of these people are so stupid that when we debate, that they ignore the fact that I spent most of the time trying to explain to them that we are talking about two different related subjects. Then they say that AS automatically gives them analytical skill and superior comprehension, to which they then use ASD to try to justify always being right.

Sometimes they frustrate me so much.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2015, 1:52 am

"Sick And Tired Of People Using AS As An Excuse"

Same

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 2:05 am

I've never actually seen anyone do that, I guess you know some people too far up their asses to listen and so full of themselves they insist they're right. Just ignore them, they are annoying as*holes. Every group of people has them, sadly.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 2:20 am

Saying that you're right, and every one else is wrong, is just being arrogant. And using AS as an excuse to justify your actions, is a lot like forging a handicap parking permit, so you can park in the handicap zone.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 7:19 am

Aniihya wrote:
Everytime I come into a debate with someone who has ASD...

I suspect that your use of "everytime" here is hyperbole. :wink:

I think you can turn the tables with another annoying cliche and tell them the only think that because of their inability to take other perspectives and however good their logic is, the principle of "garbage in, garbage out" applies.

Just remember that it isn't really everyone with ASD or everytime!

This thread makes me think of others about the reality that the supposed "superior logic" is myth.

SilverAmazon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2015, 8:56 am

Either I am working in a team that is completely Apsie or I am experiencing the exact opposite of what the OP sees.

Everyone in my team is right, doesn't back down, doesn't listen and therefore doesn't actually remember corrrectly to be right in the first place

None hide behind ASD or anything else except ego :lol:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 9:14 am

I don't believe that this is limited to individuals with ASD. I believe that it is common among all humans based on their normalcy bias and desire to avoid losing credibility. But, I have experienced some individuals with ASD who sometimes play the ASD card to defend themselves or others when the conversations that they initiated go off the rails. When I have seen this happen, I recognized it as a sign of pending defeat. If I care about the individuals (or care more about myself not looking like an enemy), I will resist calling them out on their falsehoods and de-escalate the conversation by shifting my statements to include mild defense of their statements that might be correct; they still win some accolades, while losing a few, too. But, just occasionally, I try to school them directly when I believe it is "an educable moment."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 10:20 am

I do believe some people hide behind the autism label. I think it's more due to their personality.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

sAMY
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2015, 2:51 pm

Aniihya wrote:
Everytime I come into a debate with someone who has ASD, they use it as an excuse to be insistent that they are always right and that they would always get their way. Some of these people are so stupid that when we debate, that they ignore the fact that I spent most of the time trying to explain to them that we are talking about two different related subjects. Then they say that AS automatically gives them analytical skill and superior comprehension, to which they then use ASD to try to justify always being right.

Sometimes they frustrate me so much.

Welcome to the world of political correctness ,where we treat those with disabilities as unique special people capable of anything instead of telling it like it is.

This is what leads to the delusional world people with autism live in , I for one find it disgusting (altho it took me 26 years to accept what autism/asd is, so I'm bias )

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 3:54 pm

I can be a stubborn SOB, but I don't think being on the spectrum makes me superior in any way. I do regard myself as being better informed than many people on certain things, but I will admit that there are many things that "normal" people tend to know a lot more about than I do.

Anyway, I think it's kind of funny that a person would use their autism/Aspergers diagnosis as an argument in a conversation, because in a way, that's an ad hominem. They're attacking the other person's character by stating that they are inferior as they don't have the same condition, and in a formal debate, ad hominem attacks are considered to be a logical fallacy.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 4:11 pm

That does sound obnoxious.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 4:14 pm

Any person can do this. I think it's especially common with labels, whether or not a person actually has the corresponding disorder, because it removes the responsibility an individual has for their performance.

sAMY wrote:
Welcome to the world of political correctness ,where we treat those with disabilities as unique special people capable of anything instead of telling it like it is.

This is what leads to the delusional world people with autism live in , I for one find it disgusting (altho it took me 26 years to accept what autism/asd is, so I'm bias )

Agreed, not a fan of it either.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 4:39 pm

...Hm .

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 1:00 am

Unfortunately because of those that do this we suffer the consequences because the many judge that we all act this way.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 2:39 am

Well, that's rather arrogant and obnoxious.

I've met one person (a former coworker) who had a know-it-all attitude and always insisted he was right.
He obviously had some sort of developmental disorder, but I could not tell which and he did not say.

I do not get along well with such people (nor did any of my other coworkers), and tend to ignore them rather than bother trying to debate. They usually do not last long at my workplace anyway.