only match the picture on the pieces 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
mostly match the picture, match the edges a bit 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
match edges and picture about equally 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 23

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 11:40 pm

I mostly work with shape, but also with color(s)....I don't use the whole picture at all.

Love transcends all.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 8:44 am

I don't do jigsaw puzzles a lot, but when I do, I focus on the edges of the pieces, with some attention paid to the picture because it narrows my search range. For example, if the picture of the area I'm working on is sky, I'll test only blue pieces and ignore other pieces. There are only a small number of edge-shape patterns, anyway, so focusing only on edges is not very efficient.

CanisHumanis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jun 2015, 12:18 pm

I start with sorting out the edges (border). So, the straight edge (shape) is used at this point.

When I put the border together, I use the picture (on the box) as a guide.

Then, I sort out the mini-pictures within the main puzzle. Shapes aren't considered at this point. Only colors and patterns.

When constructing the interior of the puzzle, shapes and picture are used together and switched back and forth.

I love Springbok Puzzles. Every piece is different in each given puzzle, and the pieces are thick and lock together.

ima puzzle junkie :mrgreen:

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 12:39 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
- As I put together the non-edges, I look for patterns in how the pieces are cut. Do they have 1 tab and 3 blanks or 2 tabs and 2 blanks or 3 tabs and 1 blank. For a description of tab and blanks see: http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... in-english. If I get stuck, I will do full scans of all the pieces, to find the exact piece I am looking for. It’s a bit slow, but eventually I will find my piece...

As I was reading other responses, I realized that the "full scan" procedure I described above is a bit more involved.

Below is a puzzle piece, with tabs and blanks:

I look at:
- the sizes and shapes of the tabs and blanks as they are rarely uniform
- the angles of the tabs and blanks, because they typically are not at 90 degrees angles
- where the tabs and blanks are positioned (sometimes they are in the middle of the puzzle piece, but not always)

In college, I wrote a computer program to insert complex virtual 3-D puzzle pieces into a cube. I used a recursive algorithm that started with the first piece, tried the second piece and if it fit, then tried the third piece. If the third piece didn't fit, I would rotate the second piece and then try the third piece again. I use the same systematic approach for doing puzzles. It works, but it is slow (and a bit plodding) and takes lots of concentration.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 9:18 pm

Just slap pieces until they fit. Want to try putting together a puzzle upside down.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 4:58 am

I start with the edge pieces and then do the rest of the picture.

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2015, 4:44 pm

I love jigsaws - I do the boarder first and then the rest as it comes - generally I use shape and colour equally to work it out. I prefer puzzles with pictures of paintings rather than photos, just find them a bit more interesting. I actually used a jigsaw to give up smoking as it was one activity where I didn't think of smoking being too concentrated on the puzzle. I do find that when I have done a puzzle, if I attempt it again, I can usually put it together from memory rather than 'solving' the puzzle. Never attempt anything under 1000 pieces - their too basic for me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Jun 2015, 1:48 am

I have some color-blindness & bad fine motor-skills so I hate doing those puzzles. I mostly just matched the edges but having color-blindness makes it hard to match the picture.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition