STOP BLAMING MY HONESTY ON ASPERGERS!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 2:14 pm

charcoalsketches wrote:
In fact, there are a lot of things that I wish people would stop blaming on Asperger's, but the main thing my wife tends to do a lot is blame my being brutally honest on having Asperger's. I keep trying to tell her having Asperger's has nothing at all to do with it. It's the fact that whatever I say is exactly what I mean. Nothing is sugarcoated for a reason.

When we are old, we find out that lying is wrong...till you find those same people have been lying to you, too. You also grow up finding out that some people hate you jut for being honest, and others do for you lying to them about it. So, what is a wo/man to do when no matter what you do, you can't exactly win the game? You just hand it out. You just be honest, and hope they appreciate you for it. And if they hate you for being brutally honest, then what can you do? That says more about them than it does about you.

Not to mention, that being honest about thins is more therapeutic than people would think. After all, if feels incredibly horrible telling people just things they want to hear because it feels similar to lying.

It's fairly common for AS people to be brutally honest and generally difficult for us to lie. Saying what you mean is also an aspie trait. I wouldn't worry about your wife blaming that on AS and I wouldn't try to change it either.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 2:36 pm

With experience I have learned "pick my battles". Does not change my natural tendency, it just means I have repressed it, way too much probably.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2015, 10:10 pm

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
charcoalsketches wrote:
In fact, there are a lot of things that I wish people would stop blaming on Asperger's, but the main thing my wife tends to do a lot is blame my being brutally honest on having Asperger's. I keep trying to tell her having Asperger's has nothing at all to do with it. It's the fact that whatever I say is exactly what I mean. Nothing is sugarcoated for a reason.

When we are old, we find out that lying is wrong...till you find those same people have been lying to you, too. You also grow up finding out that some people hate you jut for being honest, and others do for you lying to them about it. So, what is a wo/man to do when no matter what you do, you can't exactly win the game? You just hand it out. You just be honest, and hope they appreciate you for it. And if they hate you for being brutally honest, then what can you do? That says more about them than it does about you.

Not to mention, that being honest about thins is more therapeutic than people would think. After all, if feels incredibly horrible telling people just things they want to hear because it feels similar to lying.

I appreciate and value frank honesty. I strive for clarity, transparency and openness in all things. This allows a lot of my life to be very simple and low-stress, but it also puts me at odds with many of the people in my life. But the ones who are in my life by my choice understand and appreciate my honesty. But then, I choose to associate with very few people (3, actually). And they're all highly logical; one is a woman who doesn't get upset if I answer 'yes' to the 'does this make me look fat' question because she'd rather look good than feel good in error.

Haha! I'm not that much of a dick, though. Haha! What I mean by brutal honesty depends a lot on how much certain people are used to hearing or even taking the truth, even when it is sweet and easy. I've been around my share of people you can't please anyway, so my brand of honesty only bites to those with obviously thin skin.

JenniferJones2015
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2015, 10:54 pm

Sounds like this discussion is coming to a resolution, but I can't help put my two cents in. There are NTs who are mean and dishonest, and NTs who are gentle and honest. There are Aspies who are mean and dishonest, and there are Aspies who are gentle and honest. Honesty and Aspieness is not, necessarily, a correlation, as has been pointed out by a few people here. Yes, there might be an inherent inability to lie, but for many Aspies (particularly those gendered female) who are forced to grow up playing along with social expectations (like nicety, courtesy, nurturing, giving, sharing, relating) also learn to lie (you really can't say to someone 'you look horrible in that dress' when you have been socialized since birth to say 'you look lovely). I think, in general, men (across cultures), Aspie and NT, get away with a lot more of brutal honesty because they are allowed to be aggressive. Women are trained to be compliant and peace-makers, and like every other 'type,' Aspie women, particularly high functioning ones (and especially those who are gentle by personality and/or come from repressive cultures where they might be literally killed for stepping out of line) develop a complex relationship to this concept of 'lying.' Sometimes, lying is about survival. Sometimes, it is about learning to manipulate to ensure survival. Men get away with a lot of things in terms of aggression that women don't; I suppose this is as true in the Aspie world as in the world in general.

And in the end, to survive in the NT world, one has to ask the question, 'what is the agenda behind my 'brutal' honesty? If the purpose is to hurt, then no amount of honesty is worth that because humans need to be nurtured, even if -- and often especially if -- it comes at the price of The Truth. Aspies should know this better than most others; don't we hurt enough trying to lie our way to survival in the NT world?