Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 9:03 am

It "seems obvious"? Clearly not, because it's pretty *obvious* that a woman with Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome is a woman, despite having a fully functional (the error is elsewhere) Y chromosome.

Besides, why focus on genetics, when we've only known about those for less than a century? Did no-one know of the existence of men and women for the many millenia before that?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 3:17 pm

0regonGuy wrote:
No reason, it just seems kind of obvious to me. Like an apple is an apple, and orange is an orange, day is day. and night is night. People just make things more complicated then they are.

Do we usually check people's chromosomes when we interact with them? If you see a woman with complete androgen insensitivity syndrome walking down the street and you don't know her medical history, then you are going to think "woman" not "man." Such women have been considered and treated as women their whole lives and on the outside have all the parts of a woman. They only very rarely experience gender dysphoria by wanting to become a man.

Now is this true for trans women? Not usually. There are major issues with being unable to get ride of male features, which of course leads to major issues in sex-specific places like bathrooms, locker rooms, prisons, and hospitals. I know the trans community has had a strong tendency to ride roughshod over other groups, especially women, when it comes to this issue. There's also the issue that many trans women, especially the older transitioners, were raised and treated as boys and men for decades and had male privilege; the quote I gave, I think, earlier in this thread shows that they often still exercise it even after transitioning and continue to maintain the opportunity to use it, an opportunity generally denied to both typical XX women and women with complete androgen insensitivity syndrome.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 5:25 pm

...as well as transwomen who transitioned at a young age.

No, if you appear to be a woman, you do not possess "male privilege". Raising your voice is not male privilege, because it is something that is open to anyone who wishes to do it, and a fair number of (cis) women *do* dominate conversations.

Oh wait. Why am I even responding to you, when it's quite clear you're trolling?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 6:00 pm

0regonGuy wrote:
SpiceWolf wrote:
0regonGuy wrote:
XY = Man
XX = Woman

I really don't understand why this needs to be debated. It's so simple.

Until someone with Klinefelter syndrome comes along. :D

If there is a Y there, it's a man. Though that stuff can be very difficult.

Magneto wrote:
Or Androgen Insenstivity Syndrome. Or an SRY translocation error.

Could you please provide actual reasons for your position, rather than just stating your position?

Otherwise, it's a case of, "I point to X and I point to Y, that is all"...

No reason, it just seems kind of obvious to me. Like an apple is an apple, and orange is an orange, day is day. and night is night. People just make things more complicated then they are.

It's only simple if you want to see simplicity. If you want to search for truth that takes thought. Is an apple that Monsanto injects with lizard cells still an apple? What variety of oranges are we talking about? Day is day, night is night, then what is dusk?

You're right those are really simplistic dichotomies, but they're not necessarily true in every case even if they're true in the majority of cases.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 6:43 pm

Magneto wrote:

No, if you appear to be a woman, you do not possess "male privilege". Raising your voice is not male privilege, because it is something that is open to anyone who wishes to do it, and a fair number of (cis) women *do* dominate conversations.

Oh wait. Why am I even responding to you, when it's quite clear you're trolling?

If you don't want to respond, then don't respond. I am not trolling, however, and my statement was NOT absolute, as was clear from the wording, so nothing in your post actually responds to what was written. Please don't be one of those activists that assume that if someone says something they don't like then it must be trolling.

alcockell
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2015, 4:06 am

beneficii wrote:
Magneto wrote:

If you don't want to respond, then don't respond. I am not trolling, however, and my statement was NOT absolute, as was clear from the wording, so nothing in your post actually responds to what was written. Please don't be one of those activists that assume that if someone says something they don't like then it must be trolling.

Or to roll ot right along - men are disposable...

Eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap - so waaaaay back int he mists of time - you'd want to keep the incubators back behind the lines...

Doesn't help that there's some princess mentality inculcated in the last 15 yrs in some...

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 9:06 pm

Making fart jokes is male privilege.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 7:09 pm

In response to the article in the OP:

Quote:
I know hundreds of trans people. Of the binary trans women I know, some--a minority--have the narrative of having been very feminine children who constantly wanted to play dress-up and house. But exactly zero of those individuals would say "real girls must only want to play with dolls and not chemistry sets."

Compared to the cis people I know, my trans acquaintances are much more likely to admire and support gender-transgressive children and adults, whether the gender-transgressive individuals are cis or trans. (And studies show this is true of trans people generally, not just my personal friends.)

http://trans-fusion.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... times.html