Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 9:16 am

I learned last night that my friend has turned up missing in the Great Smokies. They found her car at a trailhead, and the Park Service is currently searching the area with help from her close hiking friends who know where she may have gone. She was scheduled to leave the area on June 1, but when the movers arrived at her place, she wasn't there. Many of her close off-trail hiking companions have a good idea where she was going. I'm thinking only positive thoughts right now that she will be found soon -- alive!

I'm worried and saddened beyond words!

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 9:18 am

Oh no! I hope she is found soon. Have you called the police? :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 9:22 am

I do hope they find her soon.

Call the police. They can trace cell phone records and stuff like that. She might have a cell phone which could be tracked via GPS.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 9:42 am

As I said, her car was located and the Park Service is currently searching the area. Thanks for your comments, guys!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 1:59 pm

I hope they find her soon. At least it's not very cold out there. A bit of a saving grace.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 2:14 pm

A body matching her description was located a few hours ago. I'm in a state of deep shock, right now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 5:10 pm

I hope it's not her.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 6:16 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this; my thoughts are with you and all of her loved ones.

If you have a problem with something I post, something I believe, something I do or say, something in my sig, or something I am stupid enough to share that I'm struggling with and being caused pain by -- TELL ME TO MY FACE so that I can defend myself, instead of see you make a mockery of or a dig about it later.

On the other hand, friends will never need an explanation, and enemies bent on disliking me will never accept one.

ASD Level 1, PTSD. Plus anxiety with panic attacks, mild sub-clinical situational depression -- and a massive case of sheer freakin' BURNOUT.

~ ~ ~

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 7:54 pm

Thank you for those kind words, BirdinFlight.

KraftieKortie, I'd certainly like to believe it wasn't her they found. But the reality is they don't find the bodies of female bushwhackers everyday in the remote regions of the Smoky Mountains -- and her car was at the trailhead for that approach. Thank you for that thought, though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 7:59 pm

If it is her, I offer my condolences.

I wish this didn't happen.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 8:08 pm

Thank you, KK. I appreciate that.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 8:26 am

This woman gave me a lot in a very brief period of time, and changed me in ways I've yet to fully comprehend. I've been reading so many comments on blogs and social networking sites that she frequented about how her death should be a "cautionary tale" -- bollocks! She would laugh at such sentiments. She died doing what she loved in a place that she loved. She knew that it was very risky to attempt that hike with her knee issue (and being a little out of shape). But she going to get to that spot to pay her respects to one of her early bushwhacking mentors who had died of cancer earlier in the year. She had to drop out of the group hike to spread his ashes in March because of her knee issue.

She gave me a passion for off-trail hiking, and further deeper appreciation for the Smokies in general. We were congenial spirits. She made me realize I need to seek out more like-minded spirits and be a part of greater community. That what I will continue to do in her honor. Thank you, Jenny!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 8:31 am

I think she's the type that will be happy that you benefited from your time together.

If there's a heaven, I'm sure she's smiling up there!

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 8:57 am

I know she would happy, yes. We were both atheists and didn't believe in the concept of heaven, but it's a nice thought that she might have moved on to an afterlife, anyway. Thanks, KK!

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 9:11 am

I'm so, so sorry to hear about this tragedy. My condolences :cry: :cry: :cry:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 9:42 am

Thank you, CatLover5!