Appalled By How Cop Handles Teenage Girl!

Page 7 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 7:26 am

Ana: I just wanted to let you know that I read your post to me, and thought-of lots more to say; but, because my plate is so full, right now, I just don't have the brain-space to continue with this debate.....

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 10:10 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Ana: I just wanted to let you know that I read your post to me, and thought-of lots more to say; but, because my plate is so full, right now, I just don't have the brain-space to continue with this debate.....

I've read some of the stories about the cop Eric Casebolt and they are insightful, not just the us v. them kind of stuff one usually sees when reading about these types of situations. So I am hopeful it is an improvement. Thanks for reading my lengthy post though. It was good for me to think it through and I can understand you might see things differently in Baltimore. My mother taught public school there in the sixties and she didn't have an easy time going from rural life to teaching in the inner city. It was quite a culture shock. She was there to get a discount on her student loans. One of the other choices was Appalachia and I've told her she should have went there instead, lol, because she liked watching the Waltons.
The attitudes in the east appear a bit tougher than they are in this part of the country.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 12:06 pm

I watched the video multiple times and because the camera did not show enough due to distance, angle, and operator error there is not enough to make a valid argument that there was wrongdoing on the part of the police in handling that girl.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 12:09 pm

Raptor wrote:
I watched the video multiple times and because the camera did not show enough due to distance, angle, and operator error there is not enough to make a valid argument that there was wrongdoing on the part of the police in handling that girl.

Then why did the chief say it went against department policy and training???

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 12:49 pm

pcuser wrote:
Raptor wrote:

It's beside the point what the chief said.
He's a typical bureaucrat reacting to outrage in the wake of that incident with other fairly recent and more serious incidents in Missouri and Maryland. He'll trim his sails for whatever will keep the lions at bay, right or wrong.
Maybe the cop WAS wrong (I'm no lover of the police) but one sh***y little video clip is not conclusive enough. Besides, it's not like he shot her.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 12:51 pm

Raptor wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Raptor wrote:

He's a typical bureaucrat reacting to outrage in the wake of that incident with other fairly recent and more serious incidents in Missouri and Maryland. He'll trim his sails for whatever will keep the lions at bay, right or wrong.
Maybe the cop WAS wrong (I'm no lover of the police) but one sh***y little video clip is not conclusive enough. Besides, it's not like he shot her.

You simply cannot come to terms with the idea that there is a racial aspect to policing that fundamentally damages minorities...

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 4:44 am

beneficii wrote:
It's interesting to see how people find ways to justify the unjustifiable.

Blaming the victim is easier then admitting that the people they support are nothing but jack-booted government thugs.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 5:33 am

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 6:43 pm

I have less sympathy for this cop than cops in a lot of other situations. Cops in Baltimore and other high-crime areas get shot at and have to deal with violent criminals every day. But this cop works in McKinney, which is one of the nicest suburbs in the Dallas area. What I didn't realize until I just watched the news is that as of now he can't be charged for any crime because there is no formal complaint against him.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 11:55 pm

pcuser wrote:
Raptor wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Raptor wrote:

You simply cannot come to terms with the idea that there is a racial aspect to policing that fundamentally damages minorities...

Yes, most cops, including black and hispanic cops, tend to become less racially open minded when they have to deal with the people in the 'hood. Having said that, I still don't think it's fair to automatically paint every police interaction with minorities as persecution.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 12:16 pm

Raptor wrote:
Besides, it's not like he shot her.

No,but due to recent cases of police shooting unarmed civilians,the threat was there and it must have been terrifying
for the girl. What that policeman did is threatening behaviour,verging on a criminal offence itself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 12:50 pm

That girl's going to be fearful of cops for the rest of her life.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 12:54 pm

pluto wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Besides, it's not like he shot her.

No,but due to recent cases of police shooting unarmed civilians,the threat was there and it must have been terrifying
for the girl. What that policeman did is threatening behaviour,verging on a criminal offence itself.

We're living in the society that society as a whole has demanded. One where the cops come in and handle everything for us, albeit clumsily and/or thugglishly like cops will do.
"We need more police to fight the war on crime!!"
"We need more police to fight the war on drugs!!"
"We need more police to fight the war on terror!!"
"We need more police in the schools!!"
etc, etc, etc....

Well, here's you more police but we're certainly no better of in the bigger scheme of things. Don't look for it to go away anytime soon. We've made our bed and now we have to lie on it.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 6:18 pm

[

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 6:45 am

Even some black cops think that running from the cops is not a bad idea, these days.

Quote:
Recent encounters with police spark new thoughts on how to react

For years, many black parents dutifully gave their kids “the talk,” a basic how-to-survive guide in dealing with police.

For the most part, the instructions have always been fairly consistent: Be polite. Obey commands. Know the police may see you as a greater threat because of your skin color. Don’t run or resist — even if you’re innocent.

But now, some parents say it’s time for a new directive, one based on a growing lack of trust in police by minorities: Run for your life.

Quote:
Quote:
Fleeing has risks

Running is risky, legal experts say, since the act of fleeing police could constitute a crime. But Rochelle Bilal, vice president of the National Black Police Association, acknowledged that running away could be a good idea in some instances if, for example, an officer is out of line and there are no witnesses around.

“If you’re actually in fear for your life from a police officer, then you need to do what you need to do to save your life, and if that means run, run,” said Bilal, a former Philadelphia police officer.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 10:05 am

0regonGuy wrote:
Even some black cops think that running from the cops is not a bad idea, these days.

Quote:

For years, many black parents dutifully gave their kids “the talk,” a basic how-to-survive guide in dealing with police.

For the most part, the instructions have always been fairly consistent: Be polite. Obey commands. Know the police may see you as a greater threat because of your skin color. Don’t run or resist — even if you’re innocent.

But now, some parents say it’s time for a new directive, one based on a growing lack of trust in police by minorities: Run for your life.

Quote:
Quote:
Fleeing has risks

Running is risky, legal experts say, since the act of fleeing police could constitute a crime. But Rochelle Bilal, vice president of the National Black Police Association, acknowledged that running away could be a good idea in some instances if, for example, an officer is out of line and there are no witnesses around.

“If you’re actually in fear for your life from a police officer, then you need to do what you need to do to save your life, and if that means run, run,” said Bilal, a former Philadelphia police officer.

It's really too bad that the police have lost the trust of such a huge segment of the American people. And the police have no one to blame but themselves.