Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 7:33 pm

Today was supposed to go:

-wake up at the crack of dawn to open and work (and drop kids off, who weren't planning to wake so early)
-work
-study for a few hours
-date night with my husband at Restaurant A
-pick up supplies for work
-kids to bed in some unknown way
-prep for work tomorrow using bought supplies

All went fine until:
-babysitter wasn't clear about pickup time at last minute
-piano teacher wanted to change son's lesson time--on the day of the lesson (babysitter was bringing son to lesson...if she got there in the updated time...)
-husband was a few hours late home from work
-we were both too depressed to go to Restaurant A, so we saw a movie instead
-movie got out and it's too close to bedtime to eat dinner
-pick up kids for bedtime

(Currently, my husband is doing before-bed wrestles with the kids while I write this post and drink wine. :oops: )

I should be able to go with the flow...but I'm not. And, it's probably not entirely helpful to ask a bunch of other people who have trouble too...

I haven't eaten dinner. I don't have what I need for work.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 7:38 pm

At least you saw a movie--you didn't just lie around the house doing nothing.

Just take a second to take a deep breath. Once you do that, you'll be able to find out what you need for work.

You know what? This is what parents ALWAYS go through with kids.

I think you'll be okay.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 7:48 pm

I know. I guess that's why I posted here and drank wine instead of doing something else. I know it'll pass.

In the moment, I just feel paralyzed as to what to do to get back on track. When I have too many things going or too many decisions to make, it makes my brain muscles shut down. :P

Seeing everything in writing here is actually helping me process it.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 7:57 pm

See, I just want to shut down the day. Not get what I need for work. Not do laundry. Not get the dishwasher started. Not make lunches for tomorrow.

I just can't jump back in.

And I still haven't eaten dinner.

I should go help read stories to the kids...

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 8:11 pm

screen_name wrote:
I know. I guess that's why I posted here and drank wine instead of doing something else. I know it'll pass.

In the moment, I just feel paralyzed as to what to do to get back on track. When I have too many things going or too many decisions to make, it makes my brain muscles shut down. :P

I have the same thing, occur, when I have to many things to do, or I fall behind and then have trouble prioritizing, or, if there is the slightest change in plans, et al . I literally shutdown and my mind goes blank. You mentioned that you hadn't eaten dinner, yet. This would be the first thing I would need to do, before anything, else. I cannot (mentally) function if I am hungry, or my brain is depleted of fuel. Once I eat, I am better able to sort out how I will proceed, based on the changes that have occurred, and I have a better chance of completing the tasks at hand.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 8:13 pm

Can you go to bed and get up early to pack lunches, etc.?

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 8:24 pm

justkillingtime wrote:

The time I have to get up is already pushing it, so that's not a particularly good plan...no matter how much I like it.

My husband told me he'd take care of all of bedtime if I go get what I need for work and buy us take out. I'm waiting for take out now.

It will be okay, I think. I'm letting myself panic until I get back home. Then, I have to figure it out and move on.

I know I just made a big deal out not much. :oops:

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 8:27 pm

I would have been upset. Going to bed after brushing teeth/flossing is how I handle it and get up early to deal the rest. It sounds like you have a good solution right now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 8:29 pm

LOL...This is why a two-parent household could be the best for kids.

At least there's Daddy putting the kids to sleep. Had there been only Mommy....now that would have been difficult!

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 8:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

At least there's Daddy putting the kids to sleep. Had there been only Mommy....now that would have been difficult!

Yep. He's been gone for 6 weeks...home for 3 days...

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 10:36 pm

My yesterday was messed up from my plans too, but the good thing was I learned some things and got some things done, then today something came up on short notice, but I got right on it and did some work, then tomorrow I just told someone to text me without planning when something to going to happen, but by Friday, I hope to get back to my usual routine, because I need some routine to function best.

JenniferJones2015
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2015, 10:43 pm

Britte wrote:
screen_name wrote:

I have the same thing, occur, when I have to many things to do, or I fall behind and then have trouble prioritizing, or, if there is the slightest change in plans, et al . I literally shutdown and my mind goes blank. You mentioned that you hadn't eaten dinner, yet. This would be the first thing I would need to do, before anything, else. I cannot (mentally) function if I am hungry, or my brain is depleted of fuel. Once I eat, I am better able to sort out how I will proceed, based on the changes that have occurred, and I have a better chance of completing the tasks at hand.

'Yes' to shutdown preceded by inability to prioritize when overwhelmed, and 'yes' to food always helping (and hunger never helping whatsoever). I find the first two slow steps toward emotional paralysis and growing self-hatred, leading to full-on meltdowns or multiple-day emotional shutdowns and mutism, are often totally exacerbated by, if not actually correlated with lack of food intake... 6 p.m. on weekend days when I have not managed to eat since 8 a.m. are dangerous times...

Wine is always good -- especially if you keep my crackers and cheese handy. :) Hope you survived the day and remember that tomorrow is a new day, to do the messy business of living and planning and meltdowns and shutdowns all over again. Ye joy!

JenniferJones2015
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2015, 10:50 pm

screen_name wrote:
justkillingtime wrote:

The time I have to get up is already pushing it, so that's not a particularly good plan...no matter how much I like it.

My husband told me he'd take care of all of bedtime if I go get what I need for work and buy us take out. I'm waiting for take out now.

It will be okay, I think. I'm letting myself panic until I get back home. Then, I have to figure it out and move on.

I know I just made a big deal out not much. :oops:

If something is stressing you out, screen_name, it is worthy of discussing and seeking support for. One person's stressor is another person's 'chill' -- as I have grown older, I have found it more and more important to claim significance of a challenging time without being apologetic about it. Those who care (even in the abstract world of online forums) will respond with support and suggestions and validation. Those who don't -- well, they will respond to something else another day.

JenniferJones2015
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2015, 10:53 pm

screen_name wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yep. He's been gone for 6 weeks...home for 3 days...

Yikes! That sounds crazy tough. Hats off to you, screen_name. What are you writing/working on? From your comments, it sounds like you are in thesis/dissertation writing-misery mode (or I might be projecting... :D).