As a child did anyone ever name their toys the same name?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

TheDarkmidnightStar
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jun 2015, 11:13 pm

When I was a young child I used to never name my toys then my mother started getting me to do it more often but instead of me coming up with a actual name I always did this weird thing where I would for example name my bunny, bunny and so my mother would hound me about giving it a "Real name" And I didn't seem to catch on unsure why but I remember then saying the color of the bunny and putting together something like that. I did this to everything until I was older and started understanding what a proper name was. I'm curious if as a young child if anyone else did this?

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2015, 1:40 am

Now that I think of it, some of my toy names were terribly uncreative. Here are some I remember:

generic stuffed bear = Mr. Bear
Plush Coca-Cola polar bear = Mr. Coke
Stuffed bull = Mr. Bull
Barbie, Barbie-related dolls, baby dolls, some plushies = whatever the manufacturer named the character
Set of four lions - named after characters from The Lion King
Two copper(?)-colored plastic foxes (?) - one was Copper Fox, but the other was something like Pheobussa for some reason (named after a book character named Phoebus)

There was also a bear named Cindy. I suspect someone else named her.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 3:38 am

Strangely I have never named any of my toys. Only 2 had names. One was named by the person who gave me it, and another was named by the 2 year old who was on the train with me when I got it.

I did have pet goldfish, though. Their names were based on their color or just named after my first or middle name.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 4:24 am

I named one toy. It was a dog and came from a supermarket and the supermarkets name was on the label so I called it that.

smilinglv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2015, 4:54 am

i did ! for a little girl it is normal to name her toys especially dolls .

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 5:18 am

I was not a normal little girl then. Never liked dolls. :|

Doom1991
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2015, 5:37 am

Haha well I named all my cats kitty and all my ducks ducky so yeah you got me there. I currently have 3 cats named kitty. One lives with my mom and two with me. xD Also i had 3 rats named mousey

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 6:25 am

I don't recall myself naming my toys either.
And I have a blurry memory of someone asking me what is the name of my doll and me answering "A doll", wondering why I should name it.

But names meant nothing to me when I was a kid and in fact I still have trouble remembering names so nothing surprising here.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 1:03 pm

I used to own a lot of troll dolls, and I had to give each of them a name. Once I decided on a name I would write on the back of their head or bottoms of their feet so I wouldn't forget. I would usually name them based on their hair color or whatever clothes they were wearing. One troll I named Jewel, because she had a jewel for a belly-button, another I named Woody, because his green hair reminded me of trees, and another Rosie because she had pink hair, another I named Pablo because of his artist's smock and pallet and I had two twin baby trolls I name Pitter and Patter. There was Officer P. Troll, who wore a police uniform, Aqua, who was a mermaid troll with a shiny pale blue tail, and Hot Stuff, who was in a devil's costume.

When I was younger I once got a large blue plush teddy bear and wanted to name it "Bluebell". I also believed the bear was a girl although everyone else thought she looked like a boy. My friend next door thought I should name it Tod the Teddy, but it was my bear, not hers. :P I also had a faux bearskin rug that I called George, although my dad may have come up with the name.

Naming my toys is important to me because if I don't then it's like I have no emotional attachment to them, although many of them already are named, but sometimes their names are too hard to remember. Today I was busy writing down the names of my Lalaloopsy dolls on blank stickers and applying them to a non-conspicuous spot on their bodies. I didn't want to write them directly on with pens or markers because I'm afraid the ink will bleed into the vinyl. :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 2:30 pm

When I was 2 or 3 I named all my stuffed animals after people in my family. It was probably a way of verbally getting to know who's who in my family. I remember my Mum's mum gave me a stuffed dinosaur and I named the stuffed dinosaur after her.

I gave all of my stuffed animals a name - except for my most favourite teddy bear. For some reason I never gave him a name, even though he was my childhood cherished bear, and he still is very special to me now.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Jun 2015, 2:32 pm

I never even named my toys. I used the names they already had if they had one.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition