Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 1:20 pm

Hello All,

I was wondering if I could get some input from members who are currently in college or who have recently left school. I am wondering what your biggest issues were- whether it was during the change from living at home to living in a dorm with a roommate or classes or friends or whatnot. Also, were you able to talk with anyone about this issues? If not, would you have preferred to have other people on the spectrum, to be able to talk these things through? The issue doesn't have to necessarily be Aspie specific but specific issues that you had in uni.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 2:02 pm

Seems that no one has responded, so I'll change that and give you what I know as someone who will be a senior in University, having completed one year already with a 3.5 average.

My biggest issues my first semester as a transfer Junior were getting used to living away from home (even if it is only about one hour away), getting a consistent schedule down to complete schoolwork, and making friends.

I had been away on week long trips away from home with my church and the Boy Scouts, but this was the first time in my life that I would be away from home for an extended period of time. Don't get me wrong, a part of me was looking forward to experiencing my first true taste of independence, but being away from everything I have known in an alien environment was still a lot for me to deal with.

I strive to be a good student. I hold myself up to high standards, sometimes too high for my own good. While I never failed any classes, I struggled enough that I had a B-B+ average that semester. I was either tired from academic activities outside of the classroom or wanted to escape into my movies, the internet, Netflix, etc. Now at this point I have got a good system established. It still needs some tweaking, but I am getting all my work done when I want to for the most part and it is higher quality (i.e. getting better grades). The trick is to drive yourself to want a routine. Find out what works for you, what doesn't, expect to change and adapt it with each semester, and tell yourself "the sooner I get my work done, the more free time I'll have to myself, and the less stressed I'll be".

Starting University as a Junior (I transferred from Community College) I was eligible for the upper-classmen single rooms, which I jumped on immediately. While living by yourself (in my case with my betta fish and cacti plant) may not be the best in terms of social stimulation, it has been invaluable to me as an Aspie to have my own space with no roommate to intentionally or unintentionally interfere, intrude, disorganize, or criticize my space. It is nice having the entire room to myself so that I can organize it the way I want and have as much stuff as I want (don't bring too much though, you have to bring it back eventually. :) )

I really don't open up about me being autistic frequently because I don't know how they will react and I fear what may happen if I encounter someone who looks down upon autistic people. The last thing I need is more bullying, have had enough of that already. I did say that I'm an Aspie in a manifesto I wrote for a class that I read to the class. It was a HUGE gamble in my book, but in the end it paid off and they were all very accepting of me when I 'came out' to them. I have other friends who I have not told them yet. I will, I do feel comfortable with them and trust them enough that I don't think it would stab me in the back, I am just holding out for an ideal time where it won't be seen as awkward. If they have figured it out on their own or someone else told them, they haven't brought anything up with me.

Sorry if that was a bit long. I try to give as much of my expertise to users on these parts of the forums that don't get as much activity, but in my opinion are some of the most important. I hope that I have answered at least a question or two that you had. I assume that you will be starting college in the Fall Semester? If so, then best of luck in your studies! Work hard, do well, and find time for fun both on your own and with others. :D