Autism Disclosure at Work (survey starting soon)

Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 4:07 am

Have you got enough participants yet?

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 8:19 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
Have you got enough participants yet?

Well...I have 25 completely usable surveys. There are a few where people haven't sent in their informed consents, so if they do that I would have 28.

My target was 40-50. But I didn't think that people would provide such thorough answers.

Because the responses are so good, it's more like an interview than a regular survey. In THAT light, yes I have more than enough. Most published studies that involve narratives from autistic adults only have something like 10-15 participants. You can see where that's a problem. With 10 people, it's hard to make generalizations. If I can get to 30, I will feel pretty comfortable saying that most people do this or have had that happen to them.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 6:23 pm

I passed my thesis proposal defense today. They seemed excited about this project, even the tough cookie member of the committee.

My committee asked me to extend the data collection until the end of November. I didn't know I could do that, so I'm pleased to give people more time. That means I won't be able to talk about my findings for a little while.

I kind of had to defend my method of transparency with participants. It is not usually done for researchers to tell participants afterwards what they found or what they were looking for. Sometimes it happens, with populations who have reasons to be suspicious of research, such as American Indians. This isn't a huge deal, but I had to defend why I'm doing it.

I'll need to put a little bit more in about labeling and stigma. Basically what it's like to either live with the label of having a "mental illness" or something perceived as an illness, or what it's like to live with the threat of being perceived that way. That was needed, so I don't mind putting more about that in.

I may be trying to find a co-author with publishing experience for when I try to publish in the Spring. I could have enough material for more than one article.

If anyone has any questions about what I'm doing or going to do, I'm happy to answer them!

THANK YOU, WrongPlanet community, for your continued support and help!

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 7:33 pm

I disclosed that at my current place of employment. It turned out to be a good thing. Two of my co-workers have family with Asperger's( younger nephews) and the HR director has a grandson with it as well.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 9:01 am

ScottF wrote:
I disclosed that at my current place of employment. It turned out to be a good thing. Two of my co-workers have family with Asperger's( younger nephews) and the HR director has a grandson with it as well.

Would you consider taking my survey? And maybe passing the link on to the other people you know?

I haven't gotten any responses in the past week, which has displeased my committee. You're able to do it a page at a time, if time is a concern. I'm available here and via the contact methods on the site if you have any questions!

https://autatwork.wordpress.com/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 9:23 am

You have a nice, pleasant face.

I hope you get more responses soon.

I think---if you become more visible on the Forum again, you just might get some more.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 9:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You have a nice, pleasant face.

I hope you get more responses soon.

I think---if you become more visible on the Forum again, you just might get some more.

Thank you Kraftie! My face has been pinched with migraines for the past few days, which is why I've been absent! I'm catching up now with a nice big cup of peppermint coffee!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 9:31 am

Sorry about the migraines. Do you take Ergotaine (spelling?) for them?

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 10:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sorry about the migraines. Do you take Ergotaine (spelling?) for them?

I've never taken that one. I'll ask about it. I take different triptans, but I'm waiting for medical botox. My doctor had to order it. I've had them since I was 9 and I'm 38 now.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 6:10 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
ScottF wrote:

Would you consider taking my survey? And maybe passing the link on to the other people you know?

I haven't gotten any responses in the past week, which has displeased my committee. You're able to do it a page at a time, if time is a concern. I'm available here and via the contact methods on the site if you have any questions!

I have emailed you a consent form

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 8:06 am

ScottF wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
ScottF wrote:

I have emailed you a consent form

Thank you!

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 7:16 pm

Survey was submitted

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 9:31 am

ScottF wrote:
Survey was submitted

Thank you!

If anyone would like to help out, I would be grateful for any social media shares. I stopped using social media a few years ago and it was too late to build it up when I started this project. I've found that people simply don't look at physical fliers. The online information I've sent out has been far more successful than any "real life" campaigns. I would imagine because people can view things online without compromising their identity.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far! I will share my findings here after I analyze and write up my data!