Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 3:46 am

I think we can let argument arrive at its own end, by fleshing something to its logical conclusions. Or we can use argument to lead to an end, by employing logic in the service of a desired conclusion. We don't have much of the former. Today, everyone is an evangelist for their ideals so you only tend to see the latter. A clash of values and desired societal ends will often cause that. But sacrificed in the process is a rich history of argument, that exist only in relatively irrelevant circles whose logical exercises don't touch the thinking of the mainstream masses.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 5:31 am

Lukecash12 wrote:

What you are observing for the most part is the lack of discipline and rigorous methodology, that is prevalent in discussions on these subjects between individuals who are not as familiar with the proper academic environment that most professors are exposed to, or at least should be exposed to given their chosen discipline. That is how more disciplined minds make the progress necessary to invent things like satellites, while the rest of us simply blow hot air in order to express our opinions.

Precisely and well put.

Now this blowing "hot air in order to express our opinions..."
Would this be inspired more by emotional or intellectual needs, iyo?

Too often social interaction seems to be a case of one-up-manship rather than concept building.

Here are some of the positive traits associated with those on the spectrum:
* Fair mindedness...
* Fidelity towards the truth...
* Intellectual inclination...

If we are in agreement, would you not say that those on the spectrum would be more inclined towards reason rather than emotionalism?
Would not the desire for truth have a greater priority than emotional satiation for those with the predilection for the above?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 7:07 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
It's very difficult to persuade someone using logical arguments. Often times these logical arguments are backed up by unsubstantiated articles online or in books or whatever or surveys that are sketchily performed. Unless you have EXPERIENCED something you really don't know.

Consider this:
*Emotional attachments to certain concepts...
*Loyalties as a result of tribalism...
*Social tyranny...
*The powerful indoctrination process...
*A Pyramidal belief network...
*Cognitive dissonance...

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2015, 2:43 am

All I'm saying is no one is immune to these problems, including myself.

It is rather naive for a person to think that they are incapable of making logical errors.

Look at this recent shooter. He obviously thought that what he was doing was right... morally justified. Do people agree with him?

I agree that based on how the numbers 1 through 10 are defined and how we define addition, then 2 + 2 =4 . However, you can hypnotize someone to believe that the number 4 does not actually exist and they will answer 5 to the question.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2015, 3:08 am

Pepe wrote:
Precisely and well put.

Too often social interaction seems to be a case of one-up-manship rather than concept building.

* Fair mindedness...

If we are in agreement, would you not say that those on the spectrum would be more inclined towards reason rather than emotionalism? Would not the desire for truth have a greater priority than emotional satiation for those with the predilection for the above?

There are many different emotions that can be satisfied while forming or expressing opinions, so I would say that emotions are not all bad when we recognize the different ones that can be involved, and how they can be involved.

Let me explain this a little more succinctly: at the same time that we can be emotionally invested in the idea that we are right about something simply because it is us having the thought, or we are attached to one of the ideas and it would compromise our views too much, we can also experience positive emotions while prioritizing critical thinking skills and discipline.

It can be a pleasure to disagree with someone in an academic environment because both of you like entertaining foreign ideas, and while you don't agree with each other you can find your interlocutor's arguments compelling at the same time. The scholastic method isn't nearly as dry and sterile as one might think if you have the necessary discipline in order to enjoy it. Probably the main difference is the level of involvement you allow between your emotions and your conclusions. The experience itself of mentally working out these issues and having stimulating dialogue can be plenty emotional yet proper reasoning can remain intact.

Another important thing to note is that obviously even the best thinkers involve their emotions in their conclusions. There are so many conclusions for us to make and invariably we will be emotionally invested in some of them. It must be emphasized that it is entirely impossible to form a number of your conclusions without any confirmation bias involved, but at the same time we all compromise our conclusions with emotionalism on some issues.

On the subject of autistic reasoning, while we may naturally tend value critical thinking more than the common person, it is easily observable that a lot of ASD people have a problem with excessive and obstructive emotionalism.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2015, 4:18 am

Lukecash12 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Precisely and well put.

* Fair mindedness...

If we are in agreement, would you not say that those on the spectrum would be more inclined towards reason rather than emotionalism? Would not the desire for truth have a greater priority than emotional satiation for those with the predilection for the above?

There are many different emotions that can be satisfied while forming or expressing opinions, so I would say that emotions are not all bad when we recognize the different ones that can be involved, and how they can be involved.

Let me explain this a little more succinctly: at the same time that we can be emotionally invested in the idea that we are right about something simply because it is us having the thought, or we are attached to one of the ideas and it would compromise our views too much, we can also experience positive emotions while prioritizing critical thinking skills and discipline.

It can be a pleasure to disagree with someone in an academic environment because both of you like entertaining foreign ideas, and while you don't agree with each other you can find your interlocutor's arguments compelling at the same time. The scholastic method isn't nearly as dry and sterile as one might think if you have the necessary discipline in order to enjoy it. Probably the main difference is the level of involvement you allow between your emotions and your conclusions. The experience itself of mentally working out these issues and having stimulating dialogue can be plenty emotional yet proper reasoning can remain intact.

Another important thing to note is that obviously even the best thinkers involve their emotions in their conclusions. There are so many conclusions for us to make and invariably we will be emotionally invested in some of them. It must be emphasized that it is entirely impossible to form a number of your conclusions without any confirmation bias involved, but at the same time we all compromise our conclusions with emotionalism on some issues.

On the subject of autistic reasoning, while we may naturally tend value critical thinking more than the common person, it is easily observable that a lot of ASD people have a problem with excessive and obstructive emotionalism.

Correction: "It must be emphasized that it is entirely possible to form a number of your conclusions without any confirmation bias involved"

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2015, 9:03 am

Lukecash12 wrote:

Please note, I am not suggesting a lack of emotions when in discussion...
As I said in the "Emotionalism...the bane of the aspie..." thread:
"You can be emotional when/while creating a logical argument...
But that isn't employing "emotionalism"..."

I gain considerable satisfaction through designing a cohesive argument.
And also when concept building...

The sort of emotions which I try to avoid are the ones which inspire irrational thinking, engage a loss if identity via a mob mentality, etc...

Lukecash12 wrote:

Then there is the unpleasant anxiety created via cognitive dissonance which inhibits change/growth...

Another aspect of human psychology which makes philosophical maturation difficult is the unthinking attachment towards certain concepts which create a personal quasi meaning in life.
This attachment to ideology is akin to interpersonal love, imo...and interferes with the reasoning process...

Some embrace existentialism which to me seems a more rational response to this life system, as opposed to simply "inheriting" a system of beliefs which may or may not have some critical merit...
Those who have never reflected on their early social conditioning would have less insight into their decision making process...surely...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 9:52 am

Lukecash12 wrote:

Indeed...
Some of it is simply the "ignorance of youth"...
Some of it is due to ontological insecurity/confusion as a result of trying to adopt conflicting neurotypical values and social protocols...
In essence one needs to follow Shakespeare's advice: "To thine own self be true..."
Well that has been my experience, at least...

Aspies have no choice other than to live in an NT dominated environment...
With neurotypical social emphasis...
Based on neurotypical strengths and weaknesses...
In essence, we have a situation where "might is right..."
They are the dominant species in this life system after all...

Aspies are known for their low emotional frustration level due to a lack of emotional intelligence...
For us, processing emotions is much more difficult than for the garden variety NT...
That is why we are better suited to communicating via internet forums, for example, than real time face to face interpersonal interactions which often produces information overload...

It is my belief that to truly utilise our aspie strengths, we need an environment which is more conducive to those strengths...
But we also need some enlightenment and appreciation of our differences...