Page 5 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 12:21 pm

Why let down on legitamate self identifying because people are screwing it up? Why should I not call myself Jewish because people associate the term with "Jewing you down"?, Why should I not call myself "Aspie" because of the perception that a lot of people who call themselves that are elitists looking down on other autistics, are fakers looking to make excuses and so on? Thing is running away from legitimate terms because bullies and language police think it is bad is a short term band aid and is counterproductive. ret*d is a legitamate english word, but it is now politically incorrect to say it. So many posters said don't use Aspie use Autistic. So Autistic is now the new ret*d. That this happened was utterly predictable. When Autistic becomes politically incorrect what bland meaningless term will we replace it with?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2016, 12:32 pm

I think both extremes are accelerating at the same time. The politically correct are being more uptight, self-righteous and insular. The bigots are being more angry, brash, and indulgent in trolling.

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2016, 8:44 pm

Minervx_2 wrote:
I think both extremes are accelerating at the same time. The politically correct are being more uptight, self-righteous and insular. The bigots are being more angry, brash, and indulgent in trolling.

Pretty much. Authoritarianism and tribalism on both sides. Political debates have reached a new level of ugly in the age of the Internet and ever-rising social inequality.

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2016, 12:57 pm

Tbh I think Anti-SJWs are essentially the same as SJWs, and they both are the same as partisans/extremists for any issues. Just different repetitive spiels.

Ivanova94
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2016, 9:30 am

I struggle with autistic SJWs because they tried to tell me I was privileged because I was not able to hid my autism and I have official diagnoses. It sucks and they throw intellectually disabled autistics under the bus all the time. They complain about crap that makes no sinse. They treat autism like it a sexual orientation and not a disability. I have deal with some of them self-diagnosing them self autistic because they want too but they don't have the Symtoms and they shame people that do have the Symtom. Like the autistics that do struggle with TOM they shame. They act like everything is harder for them because they can hid it but shame autistics that can't hid it and say their privileged. I was social studies major, history and I still say privilage is BS! Oppression Olympics does not solve anything for social justice. They use oppression Olympics all the time to justify attecking other fellow autistics for disagree with them. They ignore history. Instead of empowering autistic writers to write autistic history they praise a NT for writing our history. I have alway support nurodivsity but I don't like how it been taken over by SJWs. The autistic community is getting overrun by people who don't have full perspective of autistics that can't hid who we are. I just getting tired of autism getting water down by these people. It is a Developmental disability not a personality trait.

Mongoose1
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2016, 1:39 pm

evilreligion wrote:
Ok so my latest blog post may well piss off some people but this needs to be said. The idea for this post germinated here at wrongplanet when ASPartOfMe asked my views on the future of the autism rights movement. This got me thinking about some of the interactions I have had with the Social Justice Warriors that gravitate towards any social issue on the internet. SJW's are, in my opinion, incredibly damaging to the movements they purport to support. Looking at how they have made modern feminism a laughing stock and turned it into a parody of itself really made me worry that this could happen to the autism rights movement. The difference being that feminism has already won most of its major battles where as the autism rights movement has barely started.

So I'm sure many of the SJW mind set will find offense in what I say, after all the defining characteristic of an SJW is the ability to take offence at anything. But I hope this blog post has some effect and causes people to pause and think. We need to look to gay rights movement for how to do things effectively and we need to look at the farce that is third wave feminism and Tumblr feminism to see how to very quickly erode public support and implode an advocacy movement under its own BS.

https://autisticbean.wordpress.com/2015 ... strangers/

I'll be plain. Autism awareness is important - no doubt about it. But I see no logic why we, or other minorities deserve more or less rights than anyone else. I are it from Airman Basic to Major with my own hard work and effort and no one's help. If I can do it, so can others.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 8:35 pm

Mongoose1 wrote:

I'll be plain. Autism awareness is important - no doubt about it. But I see no logic why we, or other minorities deserve more or less rights than anyone else. I are it from Airman Basic to Major with my own hard work and effort and no one's help. If I can do it, so can others.

Some people cannot just do it.

I do not know about rights but Autistics especially Adult Autistics get much less accomadations then the average person in that we are expected to succeed using our weaknesses much more then most people and our strengths are considered wrong more often.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 3:58 pm

At almost 60 and having suffered over 30 years of feminism, and hopefully having returned some of that suffering, I'd just like to pitch in and say that I'm starting to believe that "Identity Politics" of any kind is toxic.

Levels of literacy and critical thinking in Britain have plummeted over this time, a product of an unholy alliance between successive governments and SJWs. It is very very important to note that actual Social Justice evaporated as this alleged great leap forward happened, and I wonder if this might be Interconnected?

Anyway, 30 years ago in Britain it became entirely respectable to hate and many allegedly left wing positions are now about resentment and censoriousness rather than having any kind of argument at all.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 10:56 pm

I've come to accept that most people who would use the term 'social justice warrior' as an insult tend to prefer to advocate for social injustice and often are trapped by the notion that expanding rights for others somehow takes away from their rights and thus can't be taken seriously.

I've come to accept that most people who would self-identify as a 'social justice warrior' tend to be so invested in covering the world with emotional bubble wrap they can't be taken seriously either.

Overall the problems with identity politics aren't the fault of SJWs, SJWs are a symptom. That said, even when wrong they often raise valid points that one should consider and have to form an argument against (even if only internally) before rejecting them. Someone needs to be the gadfly that causes discomfort accepting what's 'normal' if what's 'normal' is opposed to the egalitarian principles westerners claim their society is based on.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 1:35 am

It is their fault for using wrong tactics of bullying, language policing, public shaming and so on. A lot of progressive ideas that were accepted or became policy became that way by a combination of education and persuading people that the ideas were not a threat personally. The LGBT movement is a prime example. With all the the complaining about politically correct language you rearly hear people complaining about the use of LGBT, hmmmm. What have the SJW's accomplished? helping the Trump phenomenon?. There are many reasons that a President Trump is seemingly becoming more likely by the day, I believe the SJW's /political correctness is an important reason. Public shaming people greatly enhances the chance that people will see your ideas as a threat.

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2016, 7:40 am

I think there may be more to the fizzling out of many social justice causes than the left-wing authoritarian ire of the "Warrior" types. Surely it doesn't help, but the other issue is that the remaining injustice in society after winning big civil-rights gains is much more subtle and has to do with the subtle values of mainstream society. Problems in that area are both hard to see and, given how individualistic we are and therefore often unwilling to admit that we just blindly or subconsciously follow society a lot, hard to admit to. Many people take it as a personal attack and/or inaccurate when Social Justice Warriors call them "privileged," "racist," "sexist," etc., when the whole idea is - and this idea itself is hard to swallow for most people - that privilege, racism, sexism, and so on are weaknesses of society and its vales that promote continued injustice even after civil rights movements. We adopt these value systems, and/or others adopt them when dealing with us, so that we're seen and treated not entirely as individuals but also according to these values.

The LGBT movement just recently made the civil rights gains, so their public face hasn't needed to be dominated by a "change society's values" type of discourse yet. They still have more civil rights to gain, in fact: e.g. employment discrimination protections and guaranteeing public bathroom access for transgender people. The race and gender justice movements, on the other hand, made the big legal gains more than a generation ago, yet we still just recently elected our first Black president in the US and are just about to get our first female presidential nominee. And both have elite educations (a sign of "class privilege" in SJW speak). Also, a disproportionate number of Black people are still poor and in jail, and the job situations of women, especially mothers, have yet to catch up with those of men on average, and so on. NT researchers and "advocates" being the most popular sources of information on autism is also a symptom of these kinds of subtle societal problems. The "SJW" approach is probably not the best way to deal with these problems given their deliberately provocative language, which only appeals (at best) to people like me who are actually willing to admit that they're conformists and haven't reached their relative status in life simply by earning it. But I think at least trying to deal with these issues somehow is a worthy cause.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 9:25 am

Because racism, sexism etc are socially unacceptable, describing someone as racist, sexist etc will be viewed as insulting or shaming even if the label is 100% accurate to describe that person based on the views they espouse. I guess concern for the feelings of those who express bigotry is more important than challenging those views or the feelings of those they're targeting. Yes, definitely some support for various reactionary movements is driven by people who are tired of being 'shamed' and 'insulted' - but whether or not those feelings are legitimate is another question. One who doesn't wish to feel shame shouldn't engage in behaviour that rightfully brings shame upon them.

I find it ironic that the people who insist on bitching about political correctness are often the most aggressive at attempting to enforce their own notions of political correctness - the only difference being what they define as correct. They'll get very offended if you describe their attempts to limit discussion and framing as political correctness, but they do ultimately engage in the same behaviour they condemn. I believe the word for such behaviour is hypocrisy.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 9:50 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It is their fault for using wrong tactics of bullying, language policing, public shaming and so on. A lot of progressive ideas that were accepted or became policy became that way by a combination of education and persuading people that the ideas were not a threat personally. The LGBT movement is a prime example. With all the the complaining about politically correct language you rearly hear people complaining about the use of LGBT, hmmmm. What have the SJW's accomplished? helping the Trump phenomenon?. There are many reasons that a President Trump is seemingly becoming more likely by the day, I believe the SJW's /political correctness is an important reason. Public shaming people greatly enhances the chance that people will see your ideas as a threat.

Public shaming is a mild form of social recrimination, and a valuable one. Much preferable to a public hanging or lynch mob, so get over it. Language is a weapon. Strategic use of language can change the world. You don't like being politically correct? OK, then you get a presidential candidate saying that a judge can't do his job because his ancestors might have been Mexican. When next? Hispanic police officers can't do their job? What about Hispanic soldiers or firemen? Or Latino immigration control officers?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 3:06 pm

Of course people are going to take it personally if you call them names. While there is institutional privilige and ism's there is individual versions of these things also. And these insititutions are made up of individuals. If you are not part of the problem you should not be guilt tripped for it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 3:31 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Of course people are going to take it personally if you call them names. While there is institutional privilige and ism's there is individual versions of these things also. And these insititutions are made up of individuals. If you are not part of the problem you should not be guilt tripped for it.

But if one is and merely refuses to recognize it they deserve to be identified as such, even if it hurts their tender feels. One who doesn't wish to be labelled in a certain way shouldn't behave in a way consistent with that label otherwise the label is applicable.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 7:50 pm

Can We Take A Joke? (coming soon):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgKCKPls5no

There Are Four Lights!