Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2015, 3:46 pm

Since a few months I am having anxiety attacks about twice a week on average - sometimes I can go two weeks without any but other time I get them for 6 days in row, mostly in the evenings.

They might have an actual trigger (thinking about school, thinking about job, thinking about social events, thinking about routine changes, thinking about health issues, thinking about relationships) but sometimes I just panic out of blue despite I having no idea what might be causing it. I just feel like my body is getting dizzy and I want to curl in a corner and cry for it to go away although I know curling and crying doesn't help and the only thing that helps is facing what I am afraid of.

I know how it all started: I was stressing out for the whole last year because of school but I was holding on somehow till my best friend unexpectedly didn't show up on planned meting and at the same my other friend told me in a personal talk that I wasted my whole life so far and I am getting nowhere.
I got badly hurt then and I think it made me lose the rest of my confidence and my will to do anything with life.

I wonder what I should do. I don't want to live like this. When I talk to my parents about it dad yells at me that life isn't as easy as I thought and that I should have get prepared for difficulties when I was still a kid but I never listened to him and mom says I am silly and there is nothing to be afraid of.

I am seeing a psychologist as a part of my ASD diagnosis process (it's taking a long time, busy practice, 30mins meetings every 1,5 months) but for some reason I always forget to mention my anxiety issues.

I seen a psychiatrist too but it was just one, short visit - start of diagnostic process - and I couldn't say much (I was in near shutdown state). I wonder about seeing him again but I am afraid if I tell him I want get something done for the anxiety he might stop the ongoing ASD diagnostic process and come to conclusion all my problems are just from being anxious. Besides - he seems to be the kind who solves most problems with meds and I am afraid of taking mood changing pills. Yup... I am afraid of something that could possibly help me stop being afraid. :ninja:

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 2:40 pm

I'm sorry your family isn't supportive with this issue. I've had severe anxiety all my life and I know how hard it is.

Have you tried writing down a list of things you want to talk to your psychologist about and then bring that list with you to your appointment? That's helped me a lot in the past. I make a list on my ipad and then check the list at the begining of the appointment and then twords the end to make sure I say everything I wanted to.

Personally I would tell both your psychologist and your psychiatrist. They are there to help you and it is important that they have all the information they need so they can provide the best care for you.

A note about medication. You can always choose not to be put on medication. If you don't want to be put on medication, then in a outpatient setting you have the right to say no. I will add though that medication when done right can be life changing. For me, it is the difference between living a semi "normal" life and being unable to function on the most basic level. It can help to learn about anxiety on the physiological level. Anxiety has to do, in part, with seratonin neurotransmitters being out of wack throughout your body. Medication can help restore this activity to a normal level.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 2:55 pm

It is better now.
Apparently what I needed was my best friend telling me she believes in me.