Charleston Shooter: Racist or Mentally Ill?

Page 1 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 12:18 am

CBC

"We welcomed you Wednesday night in our Bible study with open arms," she said. "Every fibre in my body hurts and I'll never be the same. Tywanza Sanders was my son, but Tywanza was also my hero."​

So, people are starting to call this domestic terrorism regardless of the cause. I hope this doesn't lead to persecution of the mentally Ill, which is what I would vote for in this poll.

I think he latched on to racism as a reaction to social dysfunction. Of course, I have no evidence whatsoever. But this degree of racism seems unlikely to me.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 2:05 am

Probably both.

The kid's daddy is going to have to wrestle with his conscience. He put a gun in the kid's hand.

I hope this does not turn into a witch hunt against mentally deranged people or our right to keep and bear arms.

ruveyn

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:04 am

Racist and mentally ill. He was talking about starting race wars and segregating people based on what they look like before he went on a shooting spree.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:07 am

ruveyn wrote:
Probably both.

The kid's daddy is going to have to wrestle with his conscience. He put a gun in the kid's hand.

I hope this does not turn into a witch hunt against mentally deranged people or our right to keep and bear arms.

ruveyn

And because his dad did that - bought him a gun and gave it to him - you can pretty much figure out Dylann Roof is not mentally ill so I take back the post I just posted. If he was mentally ill his father would not have given him a gun. Who gives their mentally ill family member a gun like that? That would be like suicide or something because they might just decide to bite the hand that feeds them.

So he's just your basic hater.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:10 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
And because his dad did that - bought him a gun and gave it to him - you can pretty much figure out Dylann Roof is not mentally ill ...

I'm not sure. That would be presuming the father has insights into mental illness, but as far as I know the father is not a mental health professional.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:21 am

Apart from other characteristics, Dylann Storm Roof was using suboxone, a narcotic that is used to treat opiate addiction. Suboxone is a habit-forming drug that has been connected with sudden outbursts of aggression.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:29 am

androbot01 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
And because his dad did that - bought him a gun and gave it to him - you can pretty much figure out Dylann Roof is not mentally ill ...

I'm not sure. That would be presuming the father has insights into mental illness, but as far as I know the father is not a mental health professional.

There is such thing as ignorance. I wonder why Adam Lanza was allowed around guns if he had warning signs. My parents made sure to not have a gun around when I was a teen because I was so impulsive and talked about killing myself and she told me I would talk about killing people so they didn't want to take any chances. Why the hell do these parents give their kids guns when they have mental issues is beyond me. I sometimes think these parents deserve to be sued for their stupidity by victims families.

I have no idea if this man here had warning signs or if he was just some normal guy and then he did what no one expected. But he looked creepy in the photo with his face like the other shooters. I notice every one of them had issues so it makes me wonder. But those cases are rare but they end up in the media sadly and then people think all people with mental illnesses will do a shooting spree because of these reported incidents.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:31 am

ruveyn wrote:
PThe kid's daddy is going to have to wrestle with his conscience. He put a gun in the kid's hand.

I thought they found out he illegally bought his gun in advance.

And I just think he's a complete dick. The people forgive him. They welcomed him into the church. He killed innocent, nice people who meant no harm whatsoever. He is a horrible, horrible person and they don't hate him. He intended to start a race war and yet the community has come even closer. I'm glad he failed in his wish.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:31 am

Most certainly he's a racist, from everything that has been reported about him. Mentally ill? Well, anyone who would consciously plan such an act cannot be held up as an example of a mentally healthy individual.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:37 am

On the other side of the coin, no one knows if his family has the same views as him. What if they are all haters and Dylann Roof just fit in with them? His father would have seen him as a chip off the old block. Just because someone is a hater doesn't automatically mean they will kill someone so his father could be one, too, just not the murderous variety. He could have been ignorant in assuming his son was just like him, a hater who won't go so far to kill someone, only talk about it at home with family and close friends around.

Adam Lanza might be the rare exception that completely goes against the norm or maybe he had a really sweet side to him his mother saw so she trusted him? Or, she just relied too much on the idea locking the guns away was enough. She did lock the guns up.

Is there any evidence Dylann Roof was delusional? Judging from those questions he asked mall workers, he has more a criminal mind. He might have been planning a crime and that is why he was asking them stuff like, how many workers close?

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 20 Jun 2015, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:41 am

League_Girl wrote:
There is such thing as ignorance. I wonder why Adam Lanza was allowed around guns if he had warning signs. My parents made sure to not have a gun around when I was a teen because I was so impulsive and talked about killing myself and she told me I would talk about killing people so they didn't want to take any chances. Why the hell do these parents give their kids guns when they have mental issues is beyond me. I sometimes think these parents deserve to be sued for their stupidity by victims families.

I have no idea if this man here had warning signs or if he was just some normal guy and then he did what no one expected. But he looked creepy in the photo with his face like the other shooters. I notice every one of them had issues so it makes me wonder. But those cases are rare but they end up in the media sadly and then people think all people with mental illnesses will do a shooting spree because of these reported incidents.

Teen-aged individuals are very good at masking to appear quite normal and even social around their families. Lawful handgun purchases in the United States exclude individuals younger than 21 years of age, while lawful rifle purchases exclude individuals younger than 18 years of age in most states. If an individual younger than these minimum ages possesses a firearm, it is because a family member (or more likely a friend) gave or sold it to the individual illegally (see the Columbine shootings) while the parents knew nothing. Continued possession and use of the firearm is illegal.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:41 am

androbot01 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

A delusional person is pretty obvious even to those who are not trained to detect mental illness...and it could be a common occurrence in some parts of the deep south for folks to discuss race wars. Some people believe one will occur.

EDIT!! !

I just saw a pic of Dylann Roof someone lifted off a site he frequented - for White Supremists. Could have been Storm Front. He has his handgun in one hand, confederate flag in the other. Pretty sure it means the fed will get involved.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 11:10 am

And for the those who are still not convinced, there's this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ailymailus

He left a paper trail of thought online.

In defense of his parents, he says in his rant he was not raised racist.

Well, looks like he's going to have a fun time in prison.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 12:11 pm

He's a pretty clear racist.

As for mental illness, I would want to wait. I don't buy that mass murderers are always mentally ill or even most of the time. People like to use the refrain, Well, it can't be mentally healthy to be planning/carrying out mass murder, but I'd like to see them crack open the DSM or the mental and behavioural disorders section of the ICD and point out a specific mental disorder that they could diagnose with confidence, even an NOS or otherwise unspecified diagnosis, and could know that most clinicians would back them up.

Someone implied on here that the Boston Maraton Bomber (who lived) was actually insane, but the laws on insanity on his case should have been ignored (read: nullified, as in jury nullification) and the death penalty imposed anyway. It took all of a few minutes to look up the case and see that things like mental illness and mental health therapy weren't even mentioned at all, much less an insanity plea entered.

Sometimes, people are just terroristic jerks.

Of course, how will things be in this case with regards to mental illness? We'll have to see.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 12:20 pm

I think he is bad not mad.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 3:06 pm

In his case it doesn't really matter at this point whether he's mentally ill, or a racist, or both. He'll spend the rest of what's left of his life on death row....