Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 9:55 am

Sometimes I wonder if Sherlock from the BBC Sherlock Holmes series has Asperger's. He's certainly not a 'high-functioning sociopath', as he claims, since he does show a lot of concern about the people he cares about.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 10:04 am

Kuraudo777 wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if Sherlock from the BBC Sherlock Holmes series has Asperger's. He's certainly not a 'high-functioning sociopath', as he claims, since he does show a lot of concern about the people he cares about.

Watson suggests as much in "the Hounds of Baskerville".

Also, I'm pretty sure I've read that 'high-functioning sociopath' has never been a thing.

milksnake
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2015, 2:22 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:

Yes, blubberdick cumberbund actually says in several interviews that the modern version of the character is based on 'someone with Asperger's'.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 7:25 pm

milksnake wrote:
Kuraudo777 wrote:

Yes, blubberdick cumberbund actually says in several interviews that the modern version of the character is based on 'someone with Asperger's'.

Really? I saw other interviews after "The Imitation Game" in which he kept saying he was tired of people calling his characters autistic, since practically every review of the movie called his portrayal of Alan Turing as showing him with Asperger's. He sounded downright annoyed in one interview. Was he changing his mind, backtracking, or just didn't want people to think he was playing Turing as having Aspergers? Did he base Sherlock on someone he knew, or was he just generally working some characteristics in?

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 11:28 pm

Might as well add Eugene from the walking dead.

After last nights episode I feel sure he's supposed to have Aspergers.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 3:50 pm

ehymw wrote:

I was kind of thinking that as well. Not totally sure yet where they are taking his character. However, here's a brief clip of an interview I found with the actor who plays him. He addresses the AS question.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/videos/j ... gers-48573

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2015, 6:47 pm

Boo Radley wrote:
ehymw wrote:

I was kind of thinking that as well. Not totally sure yet where they are taking his character. However, here's a brief clip of an interview I found with the actor who plays him. He addresses the AS question.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/videos/j ... gers-48573

Eugene is going to end up either dead or saving humanity. :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2015, 8:24 pm

I watched an old episode of Criminal Minds in which Aspergers figured promintly. A psycho took two families hostage, one of the hostages was an aspie boy. Spencer Ried started talking about Aspergers traits and how some past geniuses are thought to be Aspies. His female colleague said "like you". He ignored it. Later the collegue apologizes for suggesting he had Aspergers and hoped he was not offended. He said "none taken" asked when she said that. He then notes the boys room reminded him of his room when he was a kid. Then the colleague says his directness is what she loves about him and they both agree that people bieng indirect wastes time

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

milksnake
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2015, 6:39 am

GodzillaWoman wrote:
milksnake wrote:
Kuraudo777 wrote:

Really? I saw other interviews after "The Imitation Game" in which he kept saying he was tired of people calling his characters autistic, since practically every review of the movie called his portrayal of Alan Turing as showing him with Asperger's. He sounded downright annoyed in one interview. Was he changing his mind, backtracking, or just didn't want people to think he was playing Turing as having Aspergers? Did he base Sherlock on someone he knew, or was he just generally working some characteristics in?

Yeah, here's one of them(skip to 4:50):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -detective

I don't think it's supposed to be an accurate portrayal of Asperger's, they just borrow from it.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 8:41 pm

milksnake wrote:

I don't think it's supposed to be an accurate portrayal of Asperger's, they just borrow from it.

Shoot, it's not available outside the UK. What does it say?

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 8:59 pm

GodzillaWoman wrote:
milksnake wrote:

Shoot, it's not available outside the UK. What does it say?

I think I found it here, at 3:50 not 4:50: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5y7i1pLpfI
BC is a bit confused about the difference between a sociopath and Asperger's, which in my mind are complete opposites, but then, he's not a psychologist. *Ahem* Someone once said, "Do your research." I think it applies here.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 6:13 am

I have a blog on this, does anyone else want access and to make profiles? Problem is I'm going to be gone for two years in under a week.

http://autisminfiction.tumblr.com/

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2015, 7:27 am

There's this Aussie movie from the 80's which is pre-Asperger's but I reckon he's a definite - classic comedy. Called Malcolm

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 9:19 pm

Rumor has it Eugene on the walking dead did something this evening during a fight that suggests autism but not the kind we want to be associated with. 8O