Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 5:23 pm

I have a strong prescription and high-refractory lenses are not covered by insurance. Because of the lenses, the arms of the glasses tend to go outward, often causing my glasses to fall off when I look down. In addition, my glasses are heavy upon my face.

I struggle with brushing my teeth regularly and I have difficulty doing very fine movements, often leading to outbursts because of the frustration.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 5:30 pm

Sounds like you need to get your glasses adjusted. They shouldn't fall off your face.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 5:32 pm

I tried to wear contacts one--no soap!

My blinking reflexes are too strong, it seems.

But if you could manage to learn how to wear contacts, go for it.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Jun 2015, 5:51 pm

Consult with an optometrist. It should be fine if you choose to go with contact lenses; most people can adjust to them and there are many different kinds. I use them (disposable) and they work OK for me. I began wearing them during the day time because one can't wear glasses with dark glasses over them in the sun, and because I was dong a lot of running, hiking and other physical activities, for which contact lenses are much better suited than glasses.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 6:42 pm

I could never get contact lenses because of the sensitivity of my eyes. I would have a severe reaction just having something placed on my eyes.

Why don't you get lighter framed glasses with arms that go in rather than out so that they don't fall off. You could turn your glasses into a fashion statement that adds to your clothes and personality.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 8:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I tried to wear contacts one--no soap!

My blinking reflexes are too strong, it seems.

But if you could manage to learn how to wear contacts, go for it.

Good point! Personally, I have a hard enough time with the glaucoma tests where they puff either air in your eyes or put the thing in your eyes. Do I really want to fight that battle every day with contact lenses?

And again, the problems with brushing my teeth. Will I tend to leave my contacts in too long and forget about them, possibly causing problems with my eyes?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 10:06 pm

Contact lenses are something of a gamble, some folks get on fine with them, others find they can't tolerate them.

In my case, one of the reasons I got my contacts was that (just like you by the sound of it) the lenses in my glasses were getting thicker as my eyes got worse, which was making the glasses rather heavy, so they tended to fall off. I also didn't like my appearance in glasses.

I don't like that glaucoma test with the puff of air either, but my contacts didn't feel uncomfortable once I was used to them. And in those days they were "hard" lenses. These days you can get much softer ones.

I still use hard (gas permeable) lenses, and have had very little trouble with them. I don't find them hard to care for. Removing them and putting them in is a bit of bother, but I soon got the hang of it.

It's very much a gamble, you'll either like them or hate them, can't know till you've tried.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 10:56 pm

My thick glasses caused me immeasurable angst when I was growing up. I couldn't play sports for fear of breaking them. Kids called me Four Eyes. They said my glasses were so thick they could start a fire in sunlight. They called me Coke Bottle, etc., etc. The torment never ended. I was only too glad to get contacts later. Yeah, there were times I slept in them and got serious infections, still, I persevered. I can't stand for people to smoke around me because it makes my eyes water. Contacts have been a mixed blessing but I prefer them than glasses especially since I'm nearly as blind as a bat.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 12:49 am

My sister has contacts and she frequently blinks hard to adjust them. I have Tourettes, so I have a feeling that I'd have to adjust them a lot!

Ukguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2015, 12:54 am

It takes a while to get used to contact lenses. Daily disposables are meant to be the best (safest, cleanest, etc), but are quite expensive. They do dry out across the day and by the end of the day you can notice they are there. But if you get the right ones they shouldn't be uncomfortable.

Hygiene is very important - making sure your hands are completely clean before putting the contacts in or out. Learning to put them in and getting used to the feel of them takes a while. I prefer contacts to the feel of glasses on my face.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 8:21 pm

My optometrist told me that a few years earlier they'd have had to give me really thick glasses, but they've gotten better at getting thin-but-powerful lenses. So see if you can get lighter lenses with the same strength.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 10:38 pm

Ettina wrote:
My optometrist told me that a few years earlier they'd have had to give me really thick glasses, but they've gotten better at getting thin-but-powerful lenses. So see if you can get lighter lenses with the same strength.

Not covered by insurance.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 9:55 am

I love my contacts, and find that my glasses cause me such weird visual issues that I cannot wear them for anything but sitting perfectly still watching TV. Worn out in the world, they make me feel as if I'm in a nightmare.

Contacts give you a "full field of vision" of seemingly perfect vision, and that's what I love about them. Also, nothing sitting on your face physically.

When you go for your first appointment to investigate if you can wear contacts in the first place, the optometrist will first ascertain if you can physically tolerate them. He or she will lend you a pair to try putting in yourself, also teaching you the correct method in which to put them in and take them out. You will be allowed to wear these for a short while and see if you physically cannot stand them or not. They won't sell you any without first making sure they're going to be suitable for you. I was allowed a 30 minute period to leave the store and actually wander around in a pair "close to" my prescription, before going back to order my "proper" pair.

Putting them in and taking them out is easy once you get the knack. Always wash and dry your hands before handling them, and be meticulously hygienic with them.

I wouldn't be able to live without mine. It's my glasses that drive me crazy.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Jun 2015, 10:38 pm

I seen people hook wire like things to the back arms of their glasses that go behind the head so the glasses stay on better.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 10:38 am

I tried wearing contacts, but after 30 minutes I still could not even get them in my eyes despite help from one of the employees.

Unfortunately, laser is out of the question because my prescription keeps changing, and in the eyes of the optometrist continues to change more than expected for someone my age. My left eye has worsened to -7.25 dioptres and my right eye has improved to -4.75 dioptres.

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2015, 11:09 am

Contact lenses are great! No one has to know you even masturbate. I'm sure if you ask the optician you can try them out for free like in the UK.