SCOTUS upholds subsidies on federal exchanges 6-3

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 9:10 am

Roberts wrote the majority opinion. For the Affordable Care Act, you won't lose your subsidies just because you're on a federally run exchange.

Source: SCOTUSblog.com

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 9:20 am

The opinion is here:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14 ... 4_qol1.pdf

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 11:29 am

In order to overturn the law the Republicans have to win the Presidency and both houses of Congress which is unlikely. I do expect the next President to try and reform it as the $2,000 to $5,000 up front payments will become an grassroots issue in the upcoming election. This will likely fail the congress and country is too divided. Now with law settled premiums and co-pays etc will go up sharply.

The rest is up to history to decide. I can't believe history will decide this insurance company written law is forced down our throats is a good thing. Lesser of two evils/best Obama could do? Maybe

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 1:01 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
In order to overturn the law the Republicans have to win the Presidency and both houses of Congress which is unlikely. I do expect the next President to try and reform it as the $2,000 to $5,000 up front payments will become an grassroots issue in the upcoming election. This will likely fail the congress and country is too divided. Now with law settled premiums and co-pays etc will go up sharply.

The rest is up to history to decide. I can't believe history will decide this insurance company written law is forced down our throats is a good thing. Lesser of two evils/best Obama could do? Maybe

I have never heard of these upfront payments you speak of, and i have friends who have both subsidized and unsubsidized obamacare. Can you explain that one to me?

Exactly how would this confirmation of the status quo cause premiums and co-pays to skyrocket? So far, the increases are less than the most optimistic predictions.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 1:37 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I have never heard of these upfront payments you speak of, and i have friends who have both subsidized and unsubsidized obamacare. Can you explain that one to me?

Exactly how would this confirmation of the status quo cause premiums and co-pays to skyrocket? So far, the increases are less than the most optimistic predictions.

I should have written "deductibles" instead of "upfront payments" but got a "brain cramp" when writing it out.

The law is not fully implemented yet, there are more requirements yet to come into effect. I am positive the insurance companies will again use these requirements as an excuse to jack up rates. More people will be forced to take insurance as the penalty for not having any insurance increases meaning more demand for their products. Up until now there was uncertainty about if the law was permanent. Since they wrote the law it would have not been smart to go nuts and undermine support for the law completely. Now that uncertainty is pretty much gone they can be more free do what they want. There are reasons the stocks for anything health related went up after the decision.

You want to argue it would have been worse if it stayed all private. Probably. No way I am calling losing my coverage, then two premium hikes(for all three instances the insurance companies used "Obamacare" as an excuse) and the large deductibles that was almost unheard of prior to this law a good thing. We went from capitalism, to government assisted capitalism, nothing to celebrate here.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman