The White House wants your doctor to teach you about global

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,074
Location: Dallas

25 Jun 2015, 6:28 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
All my physicians know that I refuse to discuss anything other than the reason(s) about which I attend their offices.

Seat belts? I refuse to answer. Tobacco, drugs, alcohol? I refuse to answer. Anyone in my family who does these things? I refuse to answer. Any colds or flu since the last time you visited? I refuse to answer. What are you here for today? Well, thank you for asking!
2 3 and 4 are medically relevant, so you're wasting your own time and that of your GP's



The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,700
Location: Reading, England

25 Jun 2015, 6:30 pm

Would you answer if you thought it was relevant? For example, if you drank heavily and were shown to have mysterious liver damage, or had a persistent cough and smoked 10 a day?



Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,367
Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Jun 2015, 6:36 pm

why is pollen climate and not weather? The earlier spring starts the longer the growing season, okay fine but it's steadily getting earlier? It doesn't change from year to year? Like I remember plenty of years where spring came late, it was always seemed late in Wisconsin since we'd have snow on the ground until like May sometimes. There doesn't seem like there is much consistency from AGW proponents as far as what is just weather and what is climate change, it seems like its just what fits their argument.



Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,508
Location: x

25 Jun 2015, 6:47 pm

On the one hand, there are strong arguments for global warming increasing pollen counts.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/impacts/warmer-temperatures-allergies.html#.VYyRTflVhBc

On the other hand, I am not comfortable with doctors just assuming that increased pollen counts are why a particular person is having worse allergies.

http://www.health.com/health/m/gallery/0,,20846709_2,00.html

^^above is list of some things that can make allergies worse, inlcuding cross-reacting proteins on produce and stress. Just saying "global warming" when the patient asks "why are my allergies worse recently?" is sloppy diagnostics.



AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,118
Location: Brigham City, Utah

25 Jun 2015, 6:59 pm

Fugu wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
All my physicians know that I refuse to discuss anything other than the reason(s) about which I attend their offices.

Seat belts? I refuse to answer. Tobacco, drugs, alcohol? I refuse to answer. Anyone in my family who does these things? I refuse to answer. Any colds or flu since the last time you visited? I refuse to answer. What are you here for today? Well, thank you for asking!
2 3 and 4 are medically relevant, so you're wasting your own time and that of your GP's

For every medical visit in my adult life, I have received exactly the care I expected and desired because I have largely steered the discussion to allow my self-reporting and patient history. If my refusals of their government-mandated questions wasted anyone's time, it was the fault of those requiring and asking irrelevant questions. Under Obamacare, physicians are required (and paid) to ask these questions which include questions about sexual activities as well. But, no U.S. resident is required to answer the questions. So, I self-enforce the part of the law which fails to require my compliance. Strangely, my physicians have each learned my strategy and tactics, and have stopped asking the questions altogether. It would seem that all my physicians, at least, agree that their time is wasted as well.

After all, at the moment I attend them, I am their employer, am I not?


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)


Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,074
Location: Dallas

25 Jun 2015, 7:11 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Fugu wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
All my physicians know that I refuse to discuss anything other than the reason(s) about which I attend their offices.

Seat belts? I refuse to answer. Tobacco, drugs, alcohol? I refuse to answer. Anyone in my family who does these things? I refuse to answer. Any colds or flu since the last time you visited? I refuse to answer. What are you here for today? Well, thank you for asking!
2 3 and 4 are medically relevant, so you're wasting your own time and that of your GP's

For every medical visit in my adult life, I have received exactly the care I expected and desired because I have largely steered the discussion to allow my self-reporting and patient history. If my refusals of their government-mandated questions wasted anyone's time, it was the fault of those requiring and asking irrelevant questions. Under Obamacare, physicians are required (and paid) to ask these questions which include questions about sexual activities as well. But, no U.S. resident is required to answer the questions. So, I self-enforce the part of the law which fails to require my compliance. Strangely, my physicians have each learned my strategy and tactics, and have stopped asking the questions altogether. It would seem that all my physicians, at least, agree that their time is wasted as well.

After all, at the moment I attend them, I am their employer, am I not?

not every medical problem blares it's existance, some symptoms can be comorbid. I hope you've not got cancer or something nasty because you're too busy stonewalling the medical professionals you're consulting.
ex: http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/feature ... our-health
and no, you're their client, not their employer.



AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,118
Location: Brigham City, Utah

25 Jun 2015, 7:14 pm

Fugu wrote:
...I hope you've not got cancer or something nasty because you're too busy stonewalling the medical professionals you're consulting....

Did I ask for a medical assessment and prognosis?


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)


Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,074
Location: Dallas

25 Jun 2015, 7:18 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Fugu wrote:
...I hope you've not got cancer or something nasty because you're too busy stonewalling the medical professionals you're consulting....

Did I ask for a medical assessment and prognosis?
Not sure what you're asking that for considering you're the one bringing your medical visits into discussion. It was just a expression of hope that you've not stonewalled yourself into something nasty, not an interrogative or an insinuation that I would wish such things on anyone.



AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,118
Location: Brigham City, Utah

25 Jun 2015, 7:23 pm

Fugu wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Fugu wrote:
...I hope you've not got cancer or something nasty because you're too busy stonewalling the medical professionals you're consulting....

Did I ask for a medical assessment and prognosis?
Not sure what you're asking that for considering you're the one bringing your medical visits into discussion. It was just a expression of hope that you've not stonewalled yourself into something nasty, not an interrogative or an insinuation that I would wish such things on anyone.

Ah, that is good because I don't share my personal facts at WrongPlanet.net beyond what I have already disclosed throughout.


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)


Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,835
Location: Valproate Street and Thorazine Lane

25 Jun 2015, 8:42 pm

Keep politics out of the doctor's office

If you can prove there's some connection between a physical symptom and "global warming", then cool.



techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,219
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

25 Jun 2015, 8:45 pm

At that rate I'd also demand that my weatherman educate me on cholesterol.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,118
Location: Brigham City, Utah

25 Jun 2015, 8:47 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Keep politics out of the doctor's office

If you can prove there's some connection between a physical symptom and "global warming", then cool.

Can you imagine what the physicians are thinking? "I spent eight years in medical school, one year internship and three years in residence so I could be some elected official's personal nudge?!?" :lol:


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)


Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,986
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

25 Jun 2015, 9:04 pm

Does this include veterinarians, too? That's the only doctor on my payroll. He's definaty a conservative and I seriously doubt he buys into global warming.


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,027

25 Jun 2015, 9:06 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
All my physicians know that I refuse to discuss anything other than the reason(s) about which I attend their offices.

Seat belts? I refuse to answer. Tobacco, drugs, alcohol? I refuse to answer. Anyone in my family who does these things? I refuse to answer. Any colds or flu since the last time you visited? I refuse to answer. What are you here for today? Well, thank you for asking!


Maybe my doctor is weird and/or too close to retirement to care but i've never been asked any non-medical questions.

Refusing to answer whether you use tobacco, drugs, or alcohol puts you at risk of a few things. For one, it may confound their ability to properly diagnose what you are visiting for, but more importantly it will almost certainly either limit their choice of pharmaceutical treatment options to those which are unlikely to have complications combined with tobacco, illicit drugs, or alcohol -- or, maybe they assume wrong that you don't use those things, and you end up with a prescription that is fundamentally incompatible with your lifestyle.

Refusing to answer whether you've had cold or flu-like symptoms in the recent past may hinder diagnosis of a more serious issue as well. They could, for example, suggest a diagnosis of appendicitis that otherwise would be missing key pieces of the puzzle, and that's just my guess as a non-doctor because a friend of mine had some infrequent nausea and related digestive distress -- every couple months for something like two years -- that eventually turned into an emergency appendectomy.

I agree that it's not really my doctor's business if i wear a seat belt, and that while I think doctors should be informed that pollen trends have consistently trended up for several years now which means that people will present with more and more severe pollen allergy symptoms than before, it seems odd to make them utter the words 'climate change' -- but the doctor's office is somewhere where candor is called for, in your own self-interest.



Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,074
Location: Dallas

25 Jun 2015, 9:11 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Keep politics out of the doctor's office

If you can prove there's some connection between a physical symptom and "global warming", then cool.

Can you imagine what the physicians are thinking? "I spent eight years in medical school, one year internship and three years in residence so I could be some elected official's personal nudge?!?" :lol:
good point, how dare those students of science promote sound science.


the one thing that irks me most about the right is their anti-intellectual stance on issues.
Were it not for that, i'd probably be rightleaning