What character or movie did you most identify with?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 10:11 pm

I don't recall any as a child.

Today, I sometimes (jokingly?) say that I identify as a strange mixture of Tyler Perry's Madea and Stewie from Family Guy. :D

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 10:24 pm

Edward from Edward Scissorhands. Misunderstood artist, naive and awkward.

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2015, 10:36 am

Don't know why, but I always identified with characters that were either awkward socially and/or really smart. Blossom from the Powerpuff Girls, Dexter from Dexter's Lab, Maka Albarne from Soul Eater. With the first two part of it had to do with the relationships they had with their sister(s). Blossom was essentially the oldest of her sisters and always had a plan and didn't always like it when things didn't go as she wanted. Dexter was a genius who was often bullied by some of his classmates but loved by his teachers, and his older sister would often get on his nerves like my little sisters do but he still ultimately cared about her. I don't know why I identify with Maka though. But it was enough for me to start liking the idea of characters using a scythe as a weapon.

Another character that I related to was Courage, from Courage the Cowardly Dog. He always recognized when something bad was going on, but he didn't always succeed in getting his owners to understand him when he tried to tell them about it. So then he often had to solve the problem entirely on his own. Kinda like me for most of my childhood.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm

I guess I had missed that the discussion involved characters we identified with as kids. In that case, I certainly saw much of myself in Les Nessmann from WKRP In Cincinnati. Les was socially awkward, uptight, and the butt of everyone's jokes - - and so was I.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 12:40 pm

I just watched a movie called The Way Way Back and kinda identified with the 14 year old it was about.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 5:26 pm

Currently, film wise, it's Inside Out: I've always found it very difficult to let certain memories/things go, and this film just really hit it home for me. Plus, the importance of sadness as the main theme works very well throughout it, and it's something you don't see addressed very often in most kids' films.

Character wise, well... There's just a lot of characters I find myself relating to, so it would be pretty hard for me to just narrow them all down, or list all of them out.

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2015, 5:47 pm

THX 1138 or Logan's Run

They are similar in a, "Why am I the only one who sees something wrong with all this?" type of story.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 11:31 pm

Y'know, back when I was a kid since seeing the first Star Wars film - and since after - I've identified with Darth Vader. Maybe because he was alone because of the way others felt about him. That, and because he's just so damn cool!

ColumbiaMizora
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2015, 2:15 pm

I identify with Columbia from The Rocky Horror Picture Show the most because I am quite similar to her. I am hyperactive, love to sing and dance, I have a sister who understands me (I thought Columbia looked up to Magenta as her "sister", I get upset when bad things happen, I don't like when people treat others meanly, and death terrifies me. But I do have a weird theory on why I act like her...

Spoiler wrote:
Since Columbia died at the end of the film, I think I was her in my past life, although her actress, Little Nell Campbell is still alive and I follow her Instagram. Plus, I was born a few weeks before Nell's daughter, Tilly, and I am the same age as her!

diminished57
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2015, 12:01 am

Tyler Durden or Pink from Pink Floyd's The Wall.

amymarie.
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2015, 10:10 am

Toki Wartooth from Metalocalypse

i also feel like the love child of Elaine Benes and George Costanza from Seinfeld

Larry David from ‎Curb Your Enthusiasm

Ben_Is_My_Only_God
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2015, 10:50 am

Fred Tate from "Little Man Tate" (I wish that I was even half as intelligent)

Buller from "Superbror"

Jute from "if...."

Ralph from "Lord Of The Flies" (1963)

Daryl from "D.A.R.Y.L."

Ben from "Le Temps Du Loup."

345 is a nice number on which to end.

Bimog And The Search For Pangea

cheryll

07 Sep 2015, 10:56 am

I used to think I was a bit like Anne of Green Gables

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 10:57 am

The movie/TV characters I identify with the most are

Susie the Little Blue Coupe,

Fluttershy from MLP,

Wilt from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends,

Oh from Home,

Sadness from Inside Out,

Piglet from Winnie the Pooh,

Cassie from DragonTales,

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes,

Judith and KW from Where the Wild Things Are,

and Vanellope von Schweetz from Wreck It Ralph.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 11:25 am

pcgoblin wrote:
I've been a child for a long time. These are in order of appearance in my life.
[...]
Pascal from The Red Balloon
[...]

I once wrote a story vignette for school about Pascal as an adult. He was in the French Navy, still being followed by the balloon and still very much otherwise alone. He appeared to pretty much ignore it, as he'd been told it was likely hurting his career. Yet, if forced to make the choice it was clear he'd choose it over anything else. Based on technical merit the story was fine. But it angered my prof and I received a poor grade as he felt I wasn't taking the assignment seriously.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 11:57 am

I wasn't really allowed to see mainstream movies until I was a 'tween. The original Star Wars was my first and so of course I identified with...R2-D2. Later I felt the same affection/identification toward Huey, Dewey and Louie from Silent Running when I saw it. If was a child of this era, it'd probably be Wall-e ...and a certain tinker-fairy who never seems to quite socially mesh with the others. Now, books...pretty much any capable female protagonist I could find. Sadly, my folks took away anything that had an obviously strong female main or even secondary characters. Television? Laura Ingalls. She didn't seem to mind solitude, got in trouble a lot, and often seemed to be part of things only by virtue of being there. Yet she was somehow separate from everyone else.