Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 4:00 pm

Is there any type of states that provide housing that is Well suitable. Illinois is difficult to have like a good decent apartment. If any, leave phone numbers. Greatly appreciated.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 6:49 pm

If you were a citizen of a European country, you would stand a better chance of getting decent subsidized housing.

I'm not knowledgeable about this subject--but I'm sure others are, and will chime in.

If someone offers you advice, don't dismiss it automatically. You have to use honey to attract people to your cause, not vinegar.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 3:06 am

I believe all states have housing but it takes a long time to get into. It's also the projects. Most states have Section 8 housing available. That's where the govt pays part of your rent and you pay part and individual landlords decide whether or not to take section 8 and then have to be approved by the govt. How much you pay depends on how much you make at your job. You have to have a job or disability income to get section 8.

Call your local HUD and ask them about whats available. Or call every HUD in every city in every state. The numbers are on the internet. No state provides you housing other than projects, and what they do provide is not very nice or safe. Sorry, housing is something that if you want something decent you are going to have to get (and keep) a job or inherit money to get.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Caelum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2015, 11:49 am

Phone number is 311 for Chicago, list of locations at the bottom.

I'm not sure what your situation is, so I won't feel bad if you ignore my text. Do whatever you need to feel safe man. If you're not near Chicago, let us know the major metropolitan areas you are close by, could get to, and we can see what programs are available. Good luck and stay safe.

OOMs information is accurate for most of the country, however some areas are actually quite decent. You want to find a 'housing first' program, if possible. In most cases, these are not a state program. Utah is the first (and maybe only, so far) state that has a state-wide housing first policy, so unless you want to move to Utah, you'll need to focus on city programs.
I'm not sure where you are in Illinois, but Chicago has a housing first policy, https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/d ... first.html
I'm not sure how you would get into it, but it looks like a good first step would be to contact The Chicago Department of Family and Support Services (DFSS). I pulled up a list of their locations, see below. Also the only number I could find was 311.

I'm not sure of the specifics for Chicago, but many areas make an effort to provide decent affordable (usually no more than 30% of your income) housing. Typically the housing first approach works to get the homeless person into a house first, so the basic need of safety is met, then provides other services (job assistance, addiction/substance abuse recovery, mental health treatment, etc.). The thought is that trying to do those other things while the individual is still homeless just doesn't mesh well with reality (how can I worry about all this other mess when I don't even know where I'll sleep tonight?) These programs have mostly been successful at reducing chronic homelessness.

The wikipedia page for housing first lists, 'Housing First programs currently operate throughout the United States in cities such as New Orleans, Louisiana;[8] Plattsburgh, New York; Anchorage, Alaska; Minneapolis, Minnesota; New York City; District of Columbia; Denver, Colorado; San Francisco, California; Atlanta, Georgia; Chicago, Illinois; Quincy, Massachusetts; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Salt Lake City, Utah;[9] Seattle, Washington;Los Angeles and Cleveland, Ohio among many others' if you google housing first, then your city, you should be able to pull up the city page and see what they have.

Good luck and stay safe.

Community Service Center Locations
Englewood Center
1140 W. 79th Street
Chicago, IL 60620

Garfield Center
10 S. Kedzie Ave.
Chicago, IL 60612

King Center
4314 S. Cottage Grove
Chicago, IL 60653

North Area
845 W. Wilson Ave.
Chicago, IL 60640

South Chicago
8650 S. Commercial Ave.
Chicago, IL 60617

Trina Davila
4357 W. Armitage Ave.
Chicago, IL 60639

questor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 10:00 pm

There's generally a long waiting list to get into govt subsidized housing. The Salvation Army and some other charities provide temporary shelters, but there are usually more people wanting to get in, than these shelters can handle. I had to stay at a Salvation Army Shelter once. They had a curfew, so if you got there too late at night, you didn't get to come in, even if you had been staying there for a while. They also had a one month limit. After that you had to leave, unless you had a job, and were trying to save up enough money from that to pay the first/last month rent to get into an apartment. While it was nice that they would let you stay longer for that, the fact that they would make you leave after a month if you were unable to find work didn't make any sense at all. Isn't that when you really need to stay at a shelter? And isn't that what the shelter is supposed to be for? I never understood that screwy set-up. I was unable to find work, so I had to leave after a month. I spent the next three months camping out in a wreck of a house that a relative had bought to fix up and sell. There were no cooking facilities, no kitchen sink, no shower or tub, no toilet, just the hole in the floor where the stuff was supposed to go. Another relative loaned me a folding table, folding chair, and a cube fridge. I bought a used microwave, and a used handicapped toilet chair from the Salvation Army Store, and slept on the floor with blankets and sleeping bag. There was no mattress or any other furniture. The window screens were shredded, so I had tons of mosquitoes and other bugs for roommates--also mice. There were no curtains or drapes on any of the windows, so no privacy. I had to sponge bathe with water from the bathroom sink, as there were no bathing facilities. The place was a disaster. Finally, some relatives in a neighboring state bought an old trailer in a trailer park not far from where they live, for me to live in, so I was able to move up here into a better situation. I pay them rent out of my govt assistance.

I am wondering, can you relocate? There are a lot of cheap foreclosure properties in places like Detroit. If you can scrape together the money to buy a cheap foreclosure, you would have a place to stay, and you could use job money to fund fixing the place up. You might be able to buy a cheap foreclosure in your current area, too, if you have enough money for that.

If you can't buy a cheap foreclosure, you are going to have a long wait to get into govt subsidized housing. If you can't wait, then you need to find a relative or friend to live with. Your best bet is to stay where you are until you can earn enough money to buy or rent a place of your own. There is no quick fix for your situation. :(

pokeycat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2015, 2:47 pm

Good luck!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 11:51 am

I'm in Madison, Wisconsin. My daughter recently got Sec. 8, which is a big bureaucracy and tricky to get into, but she got an apartment that is NOT housing projects, it's just regular market rate housing but they did accept her voucher.

There are also a number of buildings that provide reduced rent, on a sliding scale. This is not out of the goodness of the landlords' heart! They get some sort of tax incentive from the local government (and maybe state, federal) to offer not their whole building, but a portion of their apartments, on this basis. So you are living in a building with a wide range of income levels. This is much preferable to segregating poor people into "the projects" which just creates dangerous parts of town.

I second what others have said about taking a long time to get into. Get on some waiting lists, and then play video games while you are waiting!